Should S. WILSON stay or go?

Should Wilson Go or Stay?

• Wilson SHOULD produce the next Opeth album

Votes: 40 42.6%
  • Wilson should NOT produce the next Opeth album

Votes: 54 57.4%

• Total voters
Orchid + Morningrise = my two favorite Opeth albums.

But I still want him to produce the next Opeth album because I think it's more Opeth changing than Wilson changing them.

Mr. Niel said:
And Jesus, why does everyone act like Steven Wilson wrote the last three albums and released it under the name of Opeth?

They are not going to do Morningrise again. Get over it. Listen to something else if you don't like it.

It's about time someone said it.

I chose nay for Wilson...although it really is a tough call. One thing i like about him staying was the fact that it was Blackwater Park that introduced me to Opeth, and that happens to be the first album produced by Steve Wilson. That said, Deliverance (while still a fine album), was the biggest dissapointment for me, and it just appears to me that the depth and aggressiveness in Opeth's music has been lowered rather considerably with Wilson's presence, and it's clear where that influence has come from. Whenever i hear mellow opeth bits, i hear Steven Wilson...i want another Requiem, or Benighted!!!

However, I say we give him another cd or two before we can really judge him, since he's only done 2 heavy albums with Opeth. Either way, there is no way Opeth can shake off his influence on them, even if he does leave.

I don't think Opeth subject themselves to influence that easily. BWP seems quite prog-influenced, while Deliverance is more straightforward, less 70's bullshit.

I voted that he should stay, but only because I have no problem with what he did on the last few albums.

I like BWP, damnation, and deliverance as much as any other Opeth album, and while it's true they're different, they're still fantastic IMO.

I'm reasonably sure the next album will kill regardless of the producer.

I also agree that Steven Wilson should not be producting the next album. BWP is a brilliant album and D1, D2 are nice strong efforts, but I have to say that the clean stuff (which he participated in mostly) is not as interesting as it was on Still Life and previous albums.
I think we have enjoyed a certain era in Opeth releases, but I would like to see change. I'm not saying that Opeth should go back and write another morningrise - thats would be impossible. The question is, how much is S.W. to "blame" for the fact that Opeth music is no longer the kind of intricate composition that it was on MAYH and S.L. but instead has gotten simpler and simpler.

But if I know that S.W. is on the next album... I kind of know what to expect. If he isn't, I'll die of curiosity and anticipation!

sf.

Just because Steven Wilson is the leader of Porcupine Tree does not mean that he is not a fan of extreme music. He does like Meshuggah, Morbid Angel, and obviously, Opeth. The only contribution from Steven that I know of is the slide guitar part on The Drapery Falls according to Mikael on one of the guitar lesson videos they did a couple of years ago. I really do not know if Steven does much to the music because Mikael does not seem like that type of guy that would like his music retouched so to speak. I would like to see his production work on the next album although the production on Still Life is amazing.

I must add another comment. You have to realize that the Deliverance and Damnation recordings were somewhat a bit rushed due to many mishaps. I think for what little time they had and being rushed came out two very good albums. Production included. I think that if Steven does not produce the next album, they should really just produce it themselves because I cannot see anyone else producing their albums anymore.

I think he's done a good job, but it might be interesting to see what kind of work another producer could do for them.

KielbasaSausage said:
nah, you can definately hear steve's influence on their latter albums. no one hinted that wilson "wrote" the albums, geez. o_O

would steve be a good choice for their upcoming "2 song" album?
Whether Steve Wilson had produced the albums chances are Opeth would have still been influenced by his music. But people make it seem like Opeth's whole change in sound has been because of him producing the albums.