Votes: 40 42.6%
  • Wilson should NOT produce the next Opeth album

Votes: 54 57.4%

• Total voters

Demilich

Remember
Apr 24, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Should Opeth producer Steven Wilson remain producer for the next Opeth album, or has he done all he can for the band?

I say they need to explore something beyond his influence, as I generally enjoy their music less since he came on board.

sure why not, he produced BWP, my favorite, and hes done a good job on the sound of recent opeth albums. If their current style you don't like, its Opeth themselves to blame, not Wilson. It doesn't matter, they said they were gonna do something a bit different.

Personally I'd like for them to have a change already. Sure Steve was great for blackwater park and he did wonders for deliverance and damnation... but if Opeth are going to put out some really dark and black metallish album, I dont think he will fit the bill... I'd just like to see them do something absolutely unexpected for their next album, and therefore I think they need a change, if any band can do it..... its Opeth.

As I said in another thread a bit ago..

Frost-Shatraug said:
Considering the high regard that Opeth hold Steven Wilson in, and the increasingly rived relationship between Mikael Åkerfeldt and Dan Swanö, I don't think that they're in a rush to replace their producer. Steven has an unequivocal influence on the albums he's been involved with, and a large number of fans are growing impatient with the sounds of the later albums. Mikael has made it abundantly clear that the band does not write music for any purpose other than to compose what they, and they alone, think is good music.

With that out of the way, I'd like to see Opeth clear their heads a bit, and clear themselves of Steven's influence. They enjoy the music he creates, but perhaps too much. Steven Wilson has, in my mind, put his stamp on Opeth. Even though I don't necessarily dislike said stamp, I'd like for that stamp to be taken off.

I think Opeth's music has declined in quality since he was producing, although BWP was terrific. I think he's great, but maybe he can't do much more for the band.

And Jesus, why does everyone act like Steven Wilson wrote the last three albums and released it under the name of Opeth?

They are not going to do Morningrise again. Get over it. Listen to something else if you don't like it.