opeth should get a different producer

Bleak Eyes said:
...bitching about the song lengths being so short and Mikael said "We're wimping out" and then Peter said "We're selling out", then Mikeal continued and said "Yeah, we're selling out; we want to sell more records and become a commercial band." He was fucking joking.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

segaszivos said:
While we are on the subject of producers, whatever happened to Dan Swano?

Dan Swanö Forum :cool:

ReDilS.kCalB said:
They should produce sometimes :/
Devin Townsend is a great producer because if fits the music perfectly , Opeth should do the same to improve again

you're very close, man. Devin Townsend should produce the next opeth album. devin said in a interview recently that he's recently gotten very addicted to opeth and wants his next album to sound and feel like opeth.

LuminousAether said:
Because they've already done that way too often. The acoustic part with clean singing contrasted with heavy part with growling has been done way too often by them, they need to completely drop that and revolutionize their sound at this point in their careers. That's how a band stays interesting. Anathema, Ulver, Katatonia, etc. have all changed their sounds drastically and still remain fresh and exciting bands while Opeth do nothing but disappoint me.
Metallica did that and pissed off a lot of fans in the process.
(Not me, I actually really like Load and Reload from a bluesy hard rock/metal standpoint. However, the fan who likes thrash and only thrash, as many did and do, were disappointed.)

I confess, I find it peculiar when I read people's comments regarding the production of Deliverance and Damnation compared with that of BWP. BWP has a far more clinical, clean sounding production than Deliverance and Damnation. The music on Deliverance was produced by Andy Sneap, and he tends to have a more traditional approach to the recording process - the result of which was that Deliverance sounded more like a conventional death metal album, despite the fact that the content was generally far from that. BWP, on the other hand was produced by Fredrik Nordstrom, and because he uses Pro Tools (which allows you to manipulate sound in a digital environment), the end result was a far cleaner, polished sound.

It's strange when people say that Steve Wilson had so much influence on Opeth. One must bear in mind that Mikael in particular has a certain historical attachment to Porcupine Tree; he has been a longstanding fan, so the influence has always been there, just not quite as obvious. And of course, Steve Wilson's involvement with Opeth has been generally been limited to vocals, and I think that is definitely a good thing - particularly when one factors in the amazing vocal melodies on tracks like A Fair Judgment, and Masters Apprentices. And anyway, it's important to note that BWP was really just a deeper exploration of the musical themes of Still Life anyway (i.e., in the pre-Wilsonian era).

Which brings me onto my next point; I have noticed an interesting pattern of development in Opeth's releases. Herein lies the Opethian Paradox: It seems to me that they do albums in pairs. Orchid and Morningrise explore very similar musical themes, and one can instantly tell that they were recorded in the same period. The same can be said of Still Life and BWP, and well as Deliverance and Damnation. Within this context, MAYH, while still an excellent release, is the anomaly of the Opeth catalogue. So I guess we can only wait and see what the next release will bring - I hope they follow the pattern (in the Ivy?) and really give us something distinctly Opeth in their next release, but at the same time, something completely different.

Bring it on.

Wayfaerer

i think the better way for opeth is to keep steve wilson because he is a great producter.

the lasted 3 album have an amazing sound!!!

song like bleak (for the clean part) can't be the same without s.wilson, or master's apprentices and the production of damnation is exelent...

so STEVE WILSON IS THE 5ème member of opeth...

segaszivos said:
....I wouldn't mind seeing Opeth being co-produced by Steve and another person... But I don't see Opeth existing without Steve's influence. It amazes me that a new drummer and bassest was recruited and BWP was ever released. I think that Steve has influenced Mikael to keep the band going. :-/

How much do you know of Opeth's history? The Martins have been in the band since '97 and recorded Still Life (Lopez is also on MAYH) with Mikael and Peter, so they aren't really new members anymore. Steven Wilson came long after the current unit was together. And I honestly don't think that SW has so much influence on Mikael as to be the sole person to convince him to keep his band going.

Anyway...on topic...It would be nice if SW didn't produce the next album if only to keep Opeth's sound from stagnating. He's great at what he does and the elements that he's added to Opeth are awesome but it would be cool to see what Opeth with another producer could do.