Shut the fuck up

BurningSky

rxbandits.com
Jan 13, 2004
www.myspace.com
This is taken from that interview whatever his name posted, "His contribution is very 'heat of the moment' as is the entire recording process for us. If he comes up with an idea, we'll try it. That's basically as far as it goes."

That was in regards to steven wilson. Im tired of people saying that steven wilson is super involved in everything they do and that he writes all this shit for opeth. Mikael concisely summed up his influence right there, so shut the fuck up about steven wilson, he's not THAT involved.

BurningSky said:
This is taken from that interview whatever his name posted, "His contribution is very 'heat of the moment' as is the entire recording process for us. If he comes up with an idea, we'll try it. That's basically as far as it goes."

That was in regards to steven wilson. Im tired of people saying that steven wilson is super involved in everything they do and that he writes all this shit for opeth. Mikael concisely summed up his influence right there, so shut the fuck up about steven wilson, he's not THAT involved.
p3n1s

I agree. He wasn't involved when he was telling Peter what to play during that 'solo' section in Hope Leaves. He wasn't involved when we saw him play the piano part to A Fair Judgement. He wasn't involved when we saw him essentially writing the second part to 'Weakness' with Mike in the studio. He wasn't involved when Mike was showing him the main parts of 'A Fair Judgement' so that Steven could put them in their own 'soundworld'. He wasn't involved with creating those creepy guitar sounds in Wreath. He wasn't involved when he did the vocal harmonies in 'Master's Apprentice'. He wasn't involved when he wrote the lyrics to 'Death Whispered a Lullaby'.

You're right; He wasn't involved.

"Moonlapse" said :
"I agree. He wasn't involved when he was telling Peter what to play during that 'solo' section in Hope Leaves. He wasn't involved when we saw him play the piano part to A Fair Judgement. He wasn't involved when we saw him essentially writing the second part to 'Weakness' with Mike in the studio. He wasn't involved when Mike was showing him the main parts of 'A Fair Judgement' so that Steven could put them in their own 'soundworld'. He wasn't involved with creating those creepy guitar sounds in Wreath. He wasn't involved when he did the vocal harmonies in 'Master's Apprentice'. He wasn't involved when he wrote the lyrics to 'Death Whispered a Lullaby'.

You're right; He wasn't involved."

> ;) hehe, you rule !

Moonlapse is just about 100% right. Am I the only one who noticed Steven Wilson asking Mike if he wanted him to add his voice in Master's Apprentices and create harmonies? He was basically saying he was going to add his voice whether or not Mike wanted him to. Either way, Mike wasn't about to turn him down. SW has a lot of influence on Opeth, metalheads just don't want to admit it because they need something to complain about, or they just can't stand knowing that Mike loses creative control to someone who's (let's face it) more talented than him. Not that that should have anything to do with who arranges the music (the band or whoever the band wants to have control should have control), but SW has a better ear for music than Mike, Mike knows it, and let's him do what he wants often. That's my theory.

Hello!

SW is not part of the band, he's co-produced 3 Opeth albums. Literally he's been in the studio for a total of maybe 5 weeks for the last 3 albums. You are forgetting about the other 3+ months of recording and producing we've done when he's not around. Quite simple, don't be so quick to jump to conclusions when you've literally seen a few DVD minutes of a loooong process.

A producer who doesn't help, come up with ideas is NOT a producer. It's never been the case where we've relied on him to WRITE us a record. He has ideas on top of the basic arrangement, and that's that.

I would never be run over by ANYONE, SW or anyone else. I want the outcome to be as good as possible and will appreciate all the help I can get. It's quite irritating that some of you seem to think he's bossing us around when that's not the case at all. You're blaming HIM for not liking our stuff....please, blame us, me! I take the desicions with what's done with the stuff I've written.

Just setting the record straight.

Ease down the road + happy new year!
Mike

Happy new year Mikey!

I think Wilson add's something to Opeth's music definately which is very good indeed. You shouldn't complain too much about it as it is Mike's decision to make!

Hehe, I think Mike's post may have come in a bit late. The big debate about Steve Wilson and his involvement was on a while ago, and *that* was when people (including myself) were accusing him of running over Opeth's music.

I got the impression from this thread that BurningSky was saying that SW had barely any input at all into the albums, which seems sort of ludicrous from what we've seen and heard as fans. I mean, if you're procuding a record, you're already fairly well involved in its creation - most probably the aesthetic elements, otherwise your position as producer would be redundant.

But anyway, thanks for clearing it up one way or the other, haha.