Opeth Street Team Promotion

dmize

Auslander
Dec 13, 2004
Joplin Misery
www.geocities.com
Hey guys! I approached Opeth about this idea directly, and I thought I would see how many of you guys are up for it too.

Anybody ever heard of Rasputina? or System of a Down? You know why you've heard of them? Street teams.

These guys have promotional cards, posters, flyers, etc, etc, that they send out in bulk through the mail to innumerable adoring hardcore fans who like them enough to promote the hell out of their shit in hopes that they will be selected to receive the next exclusive little goodie.

Who could possibly promote a band better than the fans? We like the band and we know what we like about them. Also we probably hang out with some other people who like the band and frequent the kind of places that would allow the distribution of promotional materials (clubs, record shops, you name it). I know where a lot of places are in my area, and I travel a lot. I have a little experience with this as a member of Rasputina's street team. All you do is take the flyers and put them up everywhere you can, and talk to everybody in every record shop and every club, which you probably already do talk to these people anyway. Just put the name out, mention the new album.

Personally, I'm ready to promote the shit out Opeth's new album when it comes out. I want them to send me 500 flyers and 500 cards and some posters and whatnot. I'll get them out there. Are you guys with me? Let's get them to set this thing up and start taking down addresses to send out the stuff.

I'd probably just completely cover my walls with the posters and cards and then tape some to my naked body while softly cooing "my heart is thine Mikael"

A funny story, just to lighten up this thread:

A mate of mine, who played drums in an old band I was in, used to be a street teamer for Roadrunner Records Australia. One day he receives this package with a "The Butterfly Effect" promo single, and about 50 "The Butterfly Effect" stickers. We put in the CD to see if it's any good and turn it off 10 seconds later, and snap the CD. Modern hard-rock bullshit.

2 weeks later we get a call from the manager of The Butterfly Effect to see if we were interested in playing as a support band at their Darwin show on their national tour. Quite an odd coincidence.

Anyway, there's your distraction. Get back to work.

Décadent said:
2 weeks later we get a call from the manager of The Butterfly Effect to see if we were interested in playing as a support band at their Darwin show on their national tour. Quite an odd coincidence.

Anyway, there's your distraction. Get back to work.
nicely handled, mr. decadent.
oh, by the way, i had to read that three times to realize you werent talking about the MOVIE "the butterfly effect". however, that too, would have deserved a toss across the room.

i want opeth to be as successful and get everything they deserve as much as the next fan...but i think this is up to their management and label to get them promoted...i just dont have the time for this sort of teeny bopper shananagins.

dorian gray said:
oh, by the way, i had to read that three times to realize you werent talking about the MOVIE "the butterfly effect". however, that too, would have deserved a toss across the room.
:lol: Agreed, I thought I was the only person who thought that movie was dogshit.

what is so fucked up about that? lets see here.....

this dude is a fan who wants to promote a great band's music. yah thats really fucked up!!? by saying that this is stupid, you are saying it is a dumb idea to share opeth's music with others. i think everyone feels threatened by this idea, because it would give the illusion that opeth is beginning to "sell out."

i think its a cool idea man. i really do believe that opeth is truly unique. they are not just original in a "genre" sense...but they are unique in the feeling that have in their music. its a shame that more people can't experience that because they don't know of them.

i don't think this guy is saying that he wants to force his music onto others. thats not what something like this is about. he's encouraging others to check out opeth's music.

i'm sorry dudes, but a lot of you are blind...you are so set on not being a part of a trendy close-minded pop culture, that you have become close-minded yourself. too many people are determined to not be a "fanboy." you are accusing someone of promoting great music. he said system of a down in the same post as opeth. oh no!!! *shakes* what is happening?

Décadent said:
Go play in traffic.

Nick... you fucking rule! Street teams are for Linkin Park, Opeth doesn't need that shit. You know why you've heard of System of a Down? I've never seen a single poster for them. I've seen them NONSTOP on tv and radio, maybe that's contributing to it a bit also, no?

Who gives a fucking shit if street teams are for nu metal bands or hardcore bands...nothing wrong with fans of the band willing to spread the word. I personally wouldn't do it, I'm a pretty lazy ass when it comes to that, but I wouldnt' care if the band let some fans do a little promotion with flyers for shows or whatever. We all have the internet and browse through forums, friend recommended sites, file sharing programs etc ...it's too easy nowadays with paypal. ebay, online ordering services to get albums or hear of bands. Back like 15 years ago, you literally had to get off your ass and get involved to hear of a band or to collect a tape recording.

JoeVice said:
i think everyone feels threatened by this idea, because it would give the illusion that opeth is beginning to "sell out."
Do you realize how popular Opeth are? Do you realize for the style of music they're playing, they're about 10,000 times more popular than any other band? I mean, look back at my interview getting Blabbermouthed... look at some of the comments left by some of the locals. Do you realy want more of these people listening to Opeth?

"Never liked this pompous melodic metal. Too flowery and repetative for my tastes. Lamb of god wipes thier ass with sissy opeth."

The people that a street team campaign targets are THESE PEOPLE. People who hang out in front of big chain stores and discuss the latest Kerrang opinions.

I've run out of juice.