Opeth Street Team Promotion

NineFeetUnderground said:
System of a down has lame guitar lines, maybe the worst vocals ive heard in the last 5 years, uninteresting and fairly predictable compositions...and last but not least...some of the most annoying fan base this side of linkin park.
i think this is a very accurate assessment. Like i said, i owned an album by SoaD (as well as Static X, Disturbed, and others) and tossed it (them) immediately. I gave them a chance. They were offensively bad. I felt they sounded very contrived in order to fit into a relatively small - but profitable - market niche. The same goes for later Pantera - Reinventing the Steel was terrible. So was Megadeth's latest. I'm getting off-topic, but I can't stand it when "artists" try to pull a fast one on their fanbase. It's usually glaringly obvious.

dorian gray said:
i think you have good insight here and i agree with you. yet, he *did* promote it as such and should expect such criticisms......
*see ninefeet's post*

true, but such criticism isn't necessary if it isn't interpereted in such a negative way. i guess i'm just trying to look at the fact that this guy wants to promote a great band...cultural biases exluded.

^understood. i still think the general consensus is that we feel it is a bad idea. perhaps we are all jackasses but he *did* ask our opinion.

bangadrian said:
wow you're an asshole. and also you seriously need to expand your realm of musical taste... how can you possibly think the beatles suck? have you ever even heard abbey road? you go ahead and listen to your humongous collection of metal and prog, and i'll continue to experiment with my musical tastes, thank you very much.
I'm almost 100% certain he is a Beatles fan. I think you misread his post....but I think you guys should fight anyway. Takes the heat off me for awhile.

bangadrian said:
wow you're an asshole. and also you seriously need to expand your realm of musical taste... how can you possibly think the beatles suck? have you ever even heard abbey road? you go ahead and listen to your humongous collection of metal and prog, and i'll continue to experiment with my musical tastes, thank you very much.
are you absolutely retarded? i said im a big fan of the beatles. I was saying if i dislike a band its NOT because theyre mainstream, but by what they create. And what system of a down creates is insulting to the intelligence of anyone who listens to it.

I know for a fact, ive praised the beatles and their work endlessly on this forum, how could you not know this by now? as for my "humongous" collections...you assume im some big metalhead with tons of metal cds? i dont know where youd get this idea...id certainly try exploring facts, AND learn to read before you continue to make an ass out of yourself like this again.

Sounds fun, but I think it would peter out quickly. Consider how many people you may have already told about Opeth. Now, out of those, how many bought the albums and saw the shows? Prog metal, as much as we all love it, is a tough sell.

As far as System of a Down goes, way too 2001 / Hot Topic for me. Even the kids who listened to them then have already moved on to Atreyu and As I Lay Dying.

bangadrian said:
wow yeah, i kinda misread that post.

...........but in my defense, i happen to know you have a "humongous" prog collection. because it's come up in a previous argument :D --- and because i sneak into your house at night when you sleep.
indeed i do. but i also have large pop, jazz, metal, classic rock, electronic, folk, classical and classic film score collections as well...im not sheltered from any form of music except some latin and african stuff...simply because i couldnt care less.

NineFeetUnderground said:
indeed i do. but i also have large pop, jazz, metal, classic rock, electronic, folk, classical and classic film score collections as well...im not sheltered from any form of music except some latin and african stuff...simply because i couldnt care less.

well, we are already off topic...so i will just ask you anyway, are you into classical indian music...like ravi shankar and such...and even indian influenced asian mass stuff like Karsh Kale? if not, you should check them out....seriously...check out karsha Kale - liberation...fucking incredible stuff.

opeth is good.

bball_1523 said:
I think this would hurt Opeth in the long run unless they choose not to "sell-out"
Well, i dont think having a street team necessarily makes you a sell out...but i do think Opeth is at that stage in their career and popularity that having a bunch of kids run around at malls with posters is pretty obsolete.

FUBAR said:
Opeth are too old for a street team

not really... alot of the "metalcore" bands that are being pushed by bigger labels these days are right around the same age as opeth.

but i agree that opeth dont really fit in with the street team concept. i don't see how progressive death metal would ever be too appealing to the masses. they're definitely a band that you have to have a prerequisite for at least a few aspects of their style in order to dig them right away. i just couldn't see a turd listening to hatebreed jump right in to listening to opeth as a likely scenario

I saw that film. It sucked and I was so fucking pissed off for going to see it that I almost beat the shit out to the bastard who recommended me that movie and also the fucking cunt who gave me the tickets, too.
\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

Décadent said:
:lol: Agreed, I thought I was the only person who thought that movie was dogshit.

Glad im not the only coldplay fan around here.....................

I thought street teams were a wate of time really, and espacially for Opeth thier songs arent 3 minutes long and arent really that accessable, so telling people to listen to a band thatt they probably wont get into is waste of time. Opeth are famous becuase they are good musicians not because they have a street team.

Alternative 3 said:
Glad im not the only coldplay fan around here.....................

I thought street teams were a wate of time really, and espacially for Opeth thier songs arent 3 minutes long and arent really that accessable, so telling people to listen to a band thatt they probably wont get into is waste of time. Opeth are famous becuase they are good musicians not because they have a street team.

coldplay rocks man...so much feeling.

^ Yeah, both great bands, I heard SOAD are releasing 2 albums soon one mellow and one heavy