Opeth: Strings, Chords, Guitars, and Programs.

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
I'm pretty sure Opeth uses "Extra-Light" D'arddio strings (size 9).... I use size 9 but my strings are Fatties (brand name)! I decided they must use XL strings. Am I right or what?

And what's the deal with their chords? They're almost impossible to play if you aren't 100% sure what the chord is beforehand...... they might not even be real chords. And then there are the times when they take a chord, and have all kinds of tripped out fingerwork on the chord where they play something awesome.. Did they go to guitar school for 20 years or what? It was my understanding that they were self-taught (I did a 2,500 word report on Opeth for 10th grade)

And what brand bass / electric / acoustics do they use to record with? I want to buy an acoustic and an electric as priority #1.... I just got my first bass within this year, so I'm not HOPPING on that fanbus yet. I still have a lot of fingerwork to learn on that as well, like playing fast notes and not hurting my finger *cries* :( So what kind of acoustics and electric? I know they use a PRS on Lamentations... I have a les paul but it messed up and it weighs like 30 pounds and its too heavy to hold they way it messed up (i cant hold it with the strap.. i had to balance it on my leg) So basically I want to know, what brand instruments does everyone use?

And also I understand Steve Wilson uses a program called "Logic" for his recordings, and Dan Swanö uses "Nuendo".... What is the best program to use for making recordings? I am using Adobe Audition 1.5 now but its pretty gay and it lags sometimes when I'm recording and it uberly makes me sad. :(

I found a guitar that fit perfectly with want I wanted as far as electric guitar, but it was only $472 and I was worried about buying another guitar that had crappy pickups with Static...... I need Anti-static guitars.... It was some weird name like a WRXT Warrior or something.

Frown. :(

they might not even be real chords.

LOL

every combination of notes can be considered a chord

although most will just call crazy combinations clusters because they dont want to have to figure out what it is

The chords aren't that bad. You just need to condition your hands to be able to play them. After a few years of guitar you'll realize that Opeth really isn't all that hard to play.

I'd suggest not copying Opeth's choice of instruments and gear. It's very important to establish your own sound, even if for starters you are just cloning, reproducing etc. another person's style. Over time you'll develop your own style and you may realize that a Jackson Soloist suits you more than a PRS Custom 24 etc.

I was under the impression that Dan Swano used Cubase, but he could well have moved onto Nuendo 3. I've heard pretty good things about it... but then again Cubase SX 3 is out and that seems relatively asskicking too. Haven't used it all too much though because I'm over my little recording-spree. Not too sure about Nuendo though, I think that's primarily for doing movie scores and post-production work as opposed to actually dealing with albums, bands and such. I'll have to give it a shot these next couple of weeks.

In terms of getting started with recording, Cubase is very user friendly and alot of people tend to start with it. The great thing about it is that it also works well enough when you get to the high-end of recording, because it can churn out broadcast-quality recordings. I'd say start with that.

Logic is purely Mac based, meaning you need the hardware and you need to purchase the software itself, which coupled together sets you back several grand. Same deal with ProTools (except that isn't exclusive to Mac). But these are just some of the other options for recording audio in case you're somewhat serious about it.

Also, if you want 'anti-static' guitar pickups, you'll want ones that effectively cancel noise, or prevent noise induction into their circuitry. Active pickups are very good for this, I hear. They create a bit of hum by themselves, but they definately don't pick up as much hum from other equipment as passive ones do.

I like Jackson warriors lots, infact I bought one, from the MG series though. not XT.

Hi Oinkness. Squiddy here.

FYI, for all of Opeth's instrument info, you can check http://www.opeth.com, click the 'discography' link, and then click 'equipment'.

Jacksons were used for the Morningrise album, and Peavy 5150's I believe -- both a metal foundation.

The latest 2 albums used Laney's signature Tony Iommi stack, a Boss GT6 (not a GT3 -- He doesn't use it much anymore. A roadie spilled beer on it and it's not super reliable), PRS Custom 24 guitars, a Martin acoustic (don't recall the series, and also Gibson Les Paul models.

You will note on Lamentations that Peter's Gibson used in 'Death Whispered A Lullaby' has fucked up intonation - the 3rd fret note is out of tune, whilst the rest of the guitar is not.

Also, you mentioned "anti-noise" guitars. Seeing as how noone here knows anything about that, let me elaborate.

What you're referring to is called "humbucker" styled pickups. Designed to "buck the hum", they are two single-coil pickups with reversed poles designed to get rid of unwanted noise -- single coil pickups often have lots of hum, unwanted AH and feedback. You can see that during the BWP recordings I believe a Fender guitar was used. Check for guitar.com's lesson with opeth to see & hear that Fender (The Drapery Falls part 1&2).

As far as Jackson guitars go, don't get a shit model.

Get a Kerry King (I don't recommend) or Rhoads (I do recommend) signature model. The better end models start at $500 and yours shouldn't be much more. Do beware; Rhoads signature models come loaded with jumbo frets (randy himself hated them), so if you have trouble forming regular chords, it may not be for you.

A word on Opeth's playability: Opeth plays a good 60% at least of their material in bar chords or in partially muted bar chords. 80% of their music overall is made up in powerchords, bar chords, and octaves. Note that any 3 notes together create a chord. Evidence of bar chords: Harvest. Evidence of Octaves: just about any Opeth song, notably Bleak + Godhead's Lament feature a lot of them.

Funny chords? Evidenced in say the Drapery Falls (Peter's part of bar chords and that funky hammerdown odd chord are a little difficult (Persistence), and also in Karma (check the last part of the song -- that transition will get your fingers rolling), overall their music isn't odd but it is overflowing in Dynamics. Also what you will find is TONS of Prog Rock influence (Opeth's main influence: Camel. a Mid 1970's prog rock band. Quite good, too.).

Overall, your guitar playing / bass playing sound will change as you progress. After a while your fingers won't hurt, and what used to be far beyond you will become quite normal. You will progress into your own sound by finding what you like, and what you do not like.

For Metal, I recommend Mesa/Boogie, Marshall, and Laney amps, and only Boss effects. I have played Ibanez & Digitech effects and find them to be, at best, lacking. A good multi-effects pedal (say a GT3 or GT6) will set you back a few hundred (400 to be sure), but are definitely worthwhile in the amount of effects they give.

Also to get rid of "noise", you can get a "noise suppressor" pedal. I would recommend this as well as a preamp and a compressor -- these 3 things will help to find your own sound and to fine-tune what you enjoy.

BTW, if you plan on saving up the $2400 to shell out for a PRS Custom 24, reconsider. http://www.romanguitars.com will show you the reasons for that, as well as better custom series guitars. And if not, you can at least get a better PRS than you can find elsewhere today at a lower price, with the same, if not better, quality.

Hope this has been informative to you. By the way, what happened to your 2005 album? :)

far as recording goes, I believe Cubase & ProTools are all Swano & Wilson used, but again, read up -- you should be able to find all the info you need. And never pay for a service that would be dirt cheap, if it weren't run by profiteering gluttons.

Later.

--VampireSquidFromHell

One quick edit in here;

I myself HATE D'arddio strings. They completely fucking suck, IMO.

Play whatever you enjoy and whatever feels good. Scientifically speaking, the best tone you can ever get from a guitar comes from 10-46 gauge strings in standard (E) tuning.

Experiment. I prefer GHS Boomers in the 10-46 range, and I retune / detune frequently. If you play drop tunings, go to a higher gauge string.

Opeth use CF Martin 000-16GT, the exact same one I got for my b-day from my drummer's mother who's husband scored it off an impound. It's fucking beautiful, can't put this bitch down.

My 2005 album you ask? Well I wrote the drums and keyboard channels for track 2.... I re-recorded track 1 with new, higher quality organ and string samples. I still have some guitar work to finish and track 2 isn't even really exported yet into seperate channels.

I was being facetious.

I'd like to add I use a Martin O-21 that was manufactured in 1930, and I will agree, the tone is nothing short of amazing.

You'll also note that Mikael uses a Takamine 12 string on a song off of Damnation I believe, may have been BWP too.

I would also like to add that @ Martin Guitar's website you can see the worst toupe in existence.

Looking for a Job said:
the chords aren't that hard...what are you talking about? maybe you're hearing two tracks at once or reading a tab that tabbed out both tracks into one, complicating it a bit. although some songs like "Face of Melinda" are a bit more difficult than others

Well, chords like the ones on the beginning of the drapery falls can strain your fingers, all though after like a few days it should get much easier.

i cant recommend PRS enough. ive owned jacksons, and although they are good for metal, they lack the versatility to play other things very well in my opinion.

Opeths sound is a lot about their chords, fingerings, progressions and aproach. Not so much to do with the equipment used. And yes, id also recommend not just copying their equipment right down the line. For instance...laney just isnt that good in my opinion.

and theres not much camel sound in Opeth's music at all really. But i second the motion of recommendation.

NineFeetUnderground said:
laney just isnt that good in my opinion.

and theres not much camel sound in Opeth's music at all really. But i second the motion of recommendation.

i have a vc-30 and i love it.

i'd have to disagree about no camel sound in opeth's music...i think the most camel-influenced opeth song is the moor...a friend of mine confused the acoustic section in the middle for camel...and i agreed, although i wasn't confused.

Cool I guess. So should I get a "humbucker" guitar? Is that what I would need to record without static? I'm not gonna copy their equipments... Jacksons are rare to find in my area though. I walked into Guitar Center and there was a flying V and a jackson guitar, they were both friggin sweet but they weren't for sale and everything else in the store was very crappy.

Humbuckers are quieter and more effective for metal. Active (means: needs a battery to work, has a "built in" pickup preamp) humbuckers would be even slightly quieter. Also, lots of things can introduce noise into your signal path, and make an otherwise quiet guitar sound noisy: Certain lighting, computer CRT screens, TV's, lousy cables, bad/noisy AC power lines, crappy effects pedals. However, if you're just hearing the noise when you record, but when you play normally you don't , look to the guts of your computer: longer than required or unshielded cd drive audio cables, electrically noisy computer PS, etc. Also, especially if your noise is found to be introduced from your environment, like via a CRT or TV, you can buy copper shielding paint and tape from places like Stewart MacDonald or Allparts and shield off you guitars body cavities making them more noise resistant. Hope this helps. :cool:

Ed Roman is a fraud. Do a google search.

He fucked around with PRS's, like adding birds himself and selling it for more money. He lost his dealership over that kind of shit. Now he takes the opportunity to bash down PRS whenever he can.

He is just laughable... don't believe anything he says!