Opeth D'addario strings

Yeah, they last for ever. Actually the last I bought strings for my LP (Elixir) was like one year ago (I haven't been playing the LP for like four months, though).

Is it just me or does 10-52 seem a bit tight for standard?

I'm not a pro or anything, just wondering ;)

Does anyone here play these strings at standard tuning?

my dad bought me some ernie ball super slinky acoustic strings phosphor bronze, they are 11-52 (11, 15, 22, 30, 42, 52)

Is it just me or does 10-52 seem a bit tight for standard?

I'm not a pro or anything, just wondering ;)

Does anyone here play these strings at standard tuning?

Yes, I do. 10-52s are a good balance for me. I can still shred on the higher strings, and having the 52 on the low E makes heavy riffing a bit easier. Everyone has different preferences. A few years ago I was playing exclusively DR mega heavy 13's in E standard. When I weened myself down to lighter strings, it was like playing on rubber bands. I can not/will not play a guitar strung with 9-42's.

It should be noted that scale length plays a pretty big role in string tension as well. On a guitar with a 25.5" scale(most shred style guitars), a 10-52 set of strings will feel tighter than they would on a guitar with a 24.75" scale (most Gibson styled guitars). The PRS guitars that Mike uses have a 25" scale and thus the string tension is actually closer to the gibson standard.

^ What he said. I actually use D'Addario 11-46's on standard E on my Strat, and no problem (well, the high e is a bit tight, but I like it that way). However, if I had a guitar with shorter neck I'd use something like 10-52 or 11-52.

Well, I'm already here, so I'm gonna ask.

Today I'm gonna buy some new stuff for my guitar, along with new strings. Well, since I read Opeth uses 10-52 d'Addario Nickel Wound, would that be the best choice for what I play? (some sort of psychedelic ambientish black metal with electronic influence and wierd shredding solo + some gilmourish solo). I need good sustain for the gilmourish solos, good heavy distortion for the tremolo riffing (not the usual mosquitoish sound that general black metal bands put out), as I like a heavy distortion like Opeth's. Plus, I don't want the sound to be too thin on the high string (that is an issue I had when I tried d'Addarios, to be honest I don't remember which kind they were, but I rember that when I switched to Ernie Ball that issue was solved). Oh, also, keep in mind I stay in standard tuning.
At the moment I'm using 9's on the top string, and, well... I haven't changed them in 6 months, yeah, I know, OMGZ THATZ TOOO MACH!!!, anyway I couldn't record so didn't actually felt the urge to change them.

So. What strings would you reccomend?

Strings don't affect sustain as much as the guitar itself, so I hope you have a guitar with good sustain, if not strings aren't going to help you too much. Today I got 10-46 Elixirs and they play absolutely perfect for me. Aside from the playing feel, strings don't affect the output as much as people think. And remember, they are really cheap things so if you don't like what you bought you could always change it.

Yeah, I had the issue with sustain with my old guitar, since I've bought the new one I haven't had problems. But Ernie Balls had more sustain anyway. I think I'll try to get 10-52 anyway, I've never tried to put on >11, and I don't think I will, since I never tune down my guitar. The few times I tried a friend's guitar with 13 I wasn't comfortable at all.

just strung up my acoustic with ernie ball 11-52, they sound ok. they sound a bit too metal/rock for my liking, and i could probably go up to a bigger gauge but otherwise they are fine. 15-20bucks i think