Opeth D'addario strings

Lothlorien

Towards the Great Sky
Jan 28, 2006
so i searched high and low to find the answer to my question but nobody has yet to answer it. I know Opeth uses D'addario strings for electric guitars, but which type? There's:

Chromes
ProSteels
Half Rounds
Pure Nickel
Plain Steel Singles
XL Nickel Wound

Also, I know they use 10's, but which set? theres 10-49, 10-46, etc. light, regular light, light plus.

thanks for the help!

on a side note, a few weeks ago i was in a music shop searching for sheet music, and i came across DIMEBAG DARRELL guitar strings. 30 bucks, christ. how much do you pay for d'addario strings ?

on a side note, a few weeks ago i was in a music shop searching for sheet music, and i came across DIMEBAG DARRELL guitar strings. 30 bucks, christ. how much do you pay for d'addario strings ?

DAMN. what a rip off. the d'addario 10-52 strings are $6 a set.

i have ernie ball strings, i dont know whether or not they are overpriced or bad quality or anything, but they seem to have a nice tone and they stay in tune fairly well

do you recommend any other types of strings (nothing expensive) that are of decent make?

i checked out elixir, pretty snazzy

ive been told that thicker strings produce more sustain. i think mine are mediums (.12, .13 is about right), i thinking of getting some new strings. is there any drawbacks to thick strings? also, i may be detuning sometimes, to C G D F C E and similar, would mediums get the job done for that tuning?

i checked out elixir, pretty snazzy

ive been told that thicker strings produce more sustain. i think mine are mediums (.12, .13 is about right), i thinking of getting some new strings. is there any drawbacks to thick strings? also, i may be detuning sometimes, to C G D F C E and similar, would mediums get the job done for that tuning?

12 is thick. 10 is medium. Thicker strings are naturally harder to bend, and to be honest with regular 10's I can't bend above 2 frets on most situations.

Elixir's 10 Light and 9 Light's are very easy to bend, however.

I generally play on Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, I believe they are 10's and work out nicely for everything.. but d'addarios are nice too, I like changing things up :)

Opeth never leaves the E-D realm really so you don't exactly need super thick strings.

k soz

got any string recommendations?

Ernie Ball's are great strings. They've got a bit of a bright vintagy-sound too them; notice their artist roster (AC/DC, Led Zep, etc.) They also have a tendency to rust from the oils in your fingers and hands tho.

I fuckin hate DR strings. I've bought 3 packs from them and every time i put them on my guitar, at least 1 string would break before tuning to pitch.

D'Addario's are def. my favorite string to use. They have more of a smooth/glassy sound to them, and they last for fuckin ever. The only thing that sucks is that most stores don't carry the gauges that i use (XL 10-52), so i'm forced to order them online or get ernie ball's (if i need strings that badly).