Opeth unplugged?

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
Personally I am not into the "unplugged" scene, but I was wondering if you would catch the entire essence of Opeth if they played unplugged?

IMO, I think it would be missing something - the emotional swings and build-ups. Many of their songs would work perfectly unplugged, but I can't imagine I'd enjoy Demon of the Fall or The Funeral Portrait played in such fashion.

hehe...

It would be a hell of a contrast though.
Acoustic guitars, a dumb audience with flowers in their hair, dumb MTV-technicians and deathgrowls destroying their flowers:D

It would be interesting to listen to some Opeth unplugged...yeah,I like experimenting... But i am not sure whether i would like the result...
:err:
I agree with metalmancpa....something will be missing

You've said it all... it would be interesting,
but something will be missing...
But that's how it is with all bands...
It's unplugged! hehe >:eek:)

But I think I would've liked it...
Listening to some Opeth unplugged,
late at night, all alone :eek:)
Calm and settling and very quiet.

Well.. would any of you object to seeing them play a set of their softer songs, and maybe one or two that were re-worked to be more acoustic?

I think that'd be fucking rad. An unplugged kind of setting, and watching some master guitarists do their stuff.

Too bad there's not a lot of room for a drummer in that scenario...

Some songs should never be allowed to be acoustic.. that I agree with.

I wouldn't mind seeing them do some unplugged stuff. Mainly I'd probably only want to see their all-acoustic songs though. I agree a lot would be missing if they converted some of their other songs to all acoustic. What would be really cool would be to see them just get up there and have kind of a jam session on acoustics. Overall, though, I'd rather just see them perform like they currently do. When I saw them live it didn't bother me at all that they played the acoustic parts on an electric. Plus, there's a lot to be said for the high-energy atmosphere of a real metal show.

if you listen to what they play with distortion there is tons of harmony in the more "metal" oriented passages. it would actually sound really good acoustic, BUT the switching between acoustic and metal creates the dynamics in the music. it would sound good to hear one of the metal riffs played clean, but to do that to a whole song would take away from the tormented feeling the metal stuff creates, while the more emotional depressing passages wouldn't have as much punch.

that wouldn't do a whole lot of good. the novelty of "unplugged" is for bands whose entire songset is usually the same quasi-distortion, monotone garbage.

since a goodly chunk of Opeth's music is ALREADY "unplugged", it wouldn't exactly be a dramatic new style for them.