Opeth vs Esoteric

all_sins_undone, i'm not even going to try to answer your post because you seem to dismiss most of what i say as "overanalytical bullshit" when it really isn't. of course its subjective, just like everything else. so go ahead and call it "fundamentally retarded" even if you have no idea why you think that, and people with more developed language for discussing these things will continue to find countless minutiae to compare between bands that have far less in common than Opeth and Esoteric.

edit: this thread has now convinced me to pull out "Subconscious Dissolution into the Continuum" and give it a spin

all_sins_undone, i'm not even going to try to answer your post because you seem to dismiss most of what i say as "overanalytical bullshit" when it really isn't. of course its subjective, just like everything else. so go ahead and call it "fundamentally retarded" even if you have no idea why you think that, and people with more developed language for discussing these things will continue to find countless minutiae to compare between bands that have far less in common than Opeth and Esoteric.

edit: this thread has now convinced me to pull out "Subconscious Dissolution into the Continuum" and give it a spin

Awesome album! Enjoy!

Not to go into too much detail:
- I find the atmospheres created by Esoteric to be much more engrossing
- the recording is very organic sounding to my ears, and the music isn't as riff-based as Opeth's
- also on the subject of riffs, Opeth repeats riffs obnoxiously at times in a way that doesn't add anything to the song, while Esoteric's music seems to work towards creating an atmosphere on a level that Opeth's does not
- Opeth's dynamics are pretty tired these days

reservations:
- I like Opeth's vocals better
- Opeth's music is more of an "easy listen" as mentioned by several others
- in a way, Opeth's music is much more diverse. at one point I would have probably chosen Opeth mostly for this reason (especially the loud/quiet dynamic)

See what I did there? I compared them!

edit: i like to edit posts! now i'm listening to Still Life for the first time in years!

i'm really surprised at the way this thread turned out. not necessarily a bad thing, but strange nevertheless.

hmm, I'm getting a whole new perspective on Still Life from this repeat listen. I'm on Moonlapse Vertigo and the album is really picking up!

Interesting that you say that, Mumblefood. Opeth is a band that I haven't been able to enjoy beyond a casual listen to a song or two... I just cannot get into any of their albums enough to spin them anymore.

Could be that I'm still massively burnt out on the band by those years of constant listening, but I'd probably pull out Metamorphogenisis before Morningrise any day these days.

Disclaimer: I'm not bashing Opeth in this post.

couldnt agree more actually.

Esoteric are good for that they are, but I'd have to be incredibly miserable to actually want to listen to the music and enjoy it.

First off, I am tired as hell but I would like to say I don't like the way this thread is going...

I believe many do not really 'get' the deep emotions found in Funeral Doom but I can tell you Esoteric is not the definition of funeral doom. They are artsy, multilayered, and very impersonal as there isn't a very emotional or genuine feeling about their sound imo. I believe it is impossible to compare the two bands, and not only is Opeth far more accomplished but they have reached much higher musical expression than Esoteric could.