Opeth vs. The Simpsons

S4R

gooey
Sep 7, 2001
.il.us
Which has taught you more about life, society, etc., Opeth or The Simpsons? For me it has to be The Simpsons, the things that show teaches are limitless, I get all my egumication from The Simpsons. And for those of you who don't watch The Simpsons or listen to Opeth, may God have mercy on your soul. :lol:

Simpsons all the way! My life revolves around Simpsons... it's quite sad actually. I'd say my level of Simpsons knowledge borders on "mentally deficient." I have multiple quotes that apply to any situation... and I use them too frequently :)

Opeth has taugh me what the pinnacle of music is.
The Simpsons has taugh me everything else :)

And P.S., nice pic! Xenogears kicks ass!

This is a fucking stupid thread... but that doesn't mean it's not funny. :lol:

Actually, now that you come to mention it, the simpsons have taught me more about society than anything else before, it is simply the most realistic show out there. And well, opeth has taught me more about myself personally...

An Opeth vote, I'm one of those heretics who has seen many Simpsons episodes, but laughs at those who finds great artistic significance within them and finds most of the characters to be one-dimensional (Homer's an idiot. We get the point.)...I heard that there are college courses on the subject. WTF?

Originally posted by Demonspell
An Opeth vote, I'm one of those heretics who has seen many Simpsons episodes, but laughs at those who finds great artistic significance within them and finds most of the characters to b one-dimensional (Homer's an idiot. We get the point.)...I heard that there are college courses on the subject. WTF? [/QUOTE

You are obviously missing something from the show as you watch it, the writers have created an ingenius satire, The Simpsons is some of the best satire in the past century. The fact that people can relate the show to everyday life, everyday, goes to show the wonderful social commentary in the show.

"To alcohol, the cause of, and soultion to, all of life's problems."

Thats one of my favorites.

Actually, all characters on The Simpsons are two-dimensional. Except for that time Homer stumbled into our reality, of course.

Simpson's definately rule, but I don't watch it too much any more. I happen to like Seinfeld more...:rolleyes: But in terms of the question I would say I have learned more from Opeth, they seem to make me analyze life and people more than I used to. I really appreciate what Opeth has done for me....

I bet none of us go around and yell "Immemorial Fire!" when we drop something on our foot. "D'oh!" is the phrase of choice. While I think Opeth has actually impacted my life more than the simpsons, the simpsons has been more readily driven into my brain.

Oh yeah, and I DO get sick of it from time to time, which hasn't yet happened with Opeth.

"Immemorial Fire!"

yep, definately the simpsons, i always quote things from there and its a massive part of my life, opeth are great too but i dont often get the chance to say stuff like, 'halo of death all i see is depature...' etc.:p

Simpsons....without it I would probably be in a mental institutuion at the moment. SO many layers of satirical humor.

Homer-"can I get my gun now?"
gun store clerk- "theres a seven day waiting period"
Homer- "awwwwww....but I'm angry now!"

I love The Simpsons and I like to annoy my freinds by constantly quoting random episodes. To bad the show has really gone down hill in the past few years. I rarely watch the new episodes anymore.

I don't think the show has gone downhill in recent years, it is just getting even more smart and people are not able to pick up on the jokes as easily as they could before.

Actually there was one fairly new episode that I really liked alot. It was that one where they showed the whole episode 3 times, first from Homer's perspective, then Bart's perspective, then Lisa's perspective. That one was cool.

I have a deep affection for The Simpsons, mainly because I am so impressed with Matt Groenig and his team: it is simply amazing to see how much fun they have crammed into each episode, into many episodes a year, for over a decade.

"...and the first number is 18"

"DOH!"

"Homer, you still have a chance"

"WOOHOO!"

"The next number is 3"

"DOH!"