Opethine Tree

MountainDweller

Under The Dark Moon
May 1, 2001
Back in the Hellhole called Texas.
OK, here's where I'll probably get flamed...

I've been thinking about this lately and I'm kind of wondering how everyone here feels about it. All in all it doesn't really matter, but it's just what I've been thinking. As much as I can respect someone being influenced by another band and such, I feel Steven Wilson is starting to have a little too much of an effect on Opeth's art. On "Blackwater Park" it showed up a little, but not a whole lot, which was fine. But for "Deliverance", I found myself being able to say "there's a Steven Wilson influence" a number of times (a few times too many), and to me it seems to be taking away a lot of what makes Opeth who they are and is sort of molding them into something else (at least if the influence continues to increase). Don't get me wrong, I still think "Deliverance" is a great album, in fact it's pretty much all I've been listening to since I bought it, but at the moment I'm not sure I really like all the extra computer trickery and such obvious Wilson influences that are starting to become more prevalent within Opeth. The same songs would have been just as good without the obvious influences. It's not a big deal, but something I've been pondering a bit.

and as long as the emotion, which is the aspect of opeth which differentiates them from other death metal bands is still present, and it is in abundance.

I always thought opeth was about taking multiple musical influences and molding them into a whole.. So as long as it fits in as good as the Wilson influences do, they can be as much porcupine as they wish :)

Originally posted by MountainDweller
...but at the moment I'm not sure I really like all the extra computer trickery and such obvious Wilson influences that are starting to become more prevalent within Opeth.
Like the "three-ring circus," I believe you called it, halfway through By the Pain I See in Others? :lol: Agreed.

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
I actually quite like the way opeth is usuing porc influences, and then you go listen to in absentia, and here all the heavy opeth style riffing..

Two amazing bands working together and influencing each other.. what more could I want?

I agree completely,

Opeth rules and PT rules, plus, I get to see them (PT) for FREE! in Boulder on the 20th!

T

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
I actually quite like the way opeth is usuing porc influences, and then you go listen to in absentia, and here all the heavy opeth style riffing..

Two amazing bands working together and influencing each other.. what more could I want?

eh......... what he said.

I mean, could the opening riff on 'Blackest Eyes' be any more obvious!? (This is not a bad thing, BTW)

When you think about it, Opeth have always been about changing there overall sound as the progress from album to album (some more than others), so it was inevitable their sound was going to change anyway. I think most people would have considerable trouble saying that this change in direction wasn't for the better. I suppose the only thing you're getting caught up on is that this change in direction may not be a concious decision of that band (and Mikael), and was not only suggested but somewhat enforced by outside influences (Pete Wilson). I suppose the only way to clear things up in this respect would be to pose the question to Mikael himself..... as a matter of fact I think it would make an excellent interview question (assuming there are still interviews in the works....). If anyone knows anyone who's still yet to conduct their interview with Opeth, it may not be a bad idea to put the question to them for the asking...........

I agree with you 100%! I tend to prefer the darker atmosphere that inhabits Orchid, Morningrise & MAYH to the Porcupine Tree influences we have heard on BWP and Deliverance. The difference can be heard during heavier moments, as well as in acoustic passages. It seems like earlier on, Opeth were influenced by prog in structure and black\death metal in mood/atmosphere. I don't hear or feel anything close to the atmosphere of their earlier releases on any of their recent releases.

I love 70's prog and don't mind Porcupine Tree, but i think Opeth are at their best when they keep it dark. Porcupine Tree are a little too 'poppy' for my liking.

That part of By the Pain I See in Others is OK.
I still prefer the mood of early Opeth though.
I'm not sure where they were getting their inspiration from when writing their first 3 albums, but i wish they could tap back into it.

Oh, yeah........Maynard is a Freak!!!!!!

I too prefer the darker atmosphere of the early albums, though the new albums are (imo) still very good, musically probably even better. I don't mind the porcupine tree influences, and other prog influences. I listen to these bands too, but I think, the full sound kind of influences the atmosphere. It is often the more empty sounds that can create a very dark atmosphere;

examples:

first two opeth
paradise lost - shades of god
dissection - the somberlain
some of the 80's new wave (like early killing joke)
etc. etc.