Opeth's Gigantour DVD performance

Why do people keep saying this? If someone doesn't like Axe's drumming, hearing more of the exact same isn't going to change anything. Just an observational comment, as comments for or against are rather pointless.

As for the mix, I believe its the lack of room mic's that are contributing to the odd tone, its extremly dry for a live performance.

Anyway, cool video, thanks for posting.

I only mentioned it 'cos I was one of them!..well, I saw him play at the start of the GR tour a couple of times and thought he was sloppy and made a lot of mistakes. Having seen him more recently I think he's improved a huge amount.

I only mentioned it 'cos I was one of them!..well, I saw him play at the start of the GR tour a couple of times and thought he was sloppy and made a lot of mistakes. Having seen him more recently I think he's improved a huge amount.
Yeah, I can agree on that front I suppose, he has improved technically from having time with the songs. The fact that his style has remained largely the same as it has been in his other projects is more the point I was relaying.

yeaaa, i actually went out and bought the DVD.

the only band to actually achieve a good mix on the DVD was the headliner, Megadeth. :yuk:

i'm not sure if it was the veune where it was filmed or the production.

i went to one of the Gigantour '06 shows in Holmdel, NJ (PNC) and the sound was immaculate.
I was at the show that they filmed at and the sound was pretty bad for Opeth. Well, for the first two songs they were (TGC and The Leper Affinity) the 2 songs after that sounded great (Windowpane and Deliverance)

That would be cool. His keyboarding on songs that originally didn't have it on is kinda annoying, but what can ya do.

I do like the fact that it's usually very subtle in the mix on the older songs, though I haven't heard Watershed yet so I can't comment on any of the new songs.

That would be cool. His keyboarding on songs that originally didn't have it on is kinda annoying, but what can ya do.

they improve the atmosphere of the song and in some cases are used for thickening out certain leads (ie beginning of deliverance). why have a full-time keyboard player if they're only going to play live on material from damnation/gr/watershed? at that point you could just have a midi sampler play over the pa.

the band didn't edit the video, so I'm sure they had pretty much no decision in what shots were in it..so no, I doubt that they're erasing past members from videos. also considering the two videos from TRT that were made available, peter has some prominent roles iirc

Is it just me or does that NOT have the groove it used to?

The drums seem too straight forward and the guitars are struggling to keep up...

To me this just does not have the same feel.

as a drummer, i have to agree with you -
Axe seems to rush slow and emotion-laden parts of many songs (especially the clean bit in this one), and his fills are very mechanical and lifeless....Even on Watershed, what i've heard sounds spot-on, as far as being on the beat, consistent timing and changes, and amazing speed. But he's a robot. Even his ghost notes are EXACTLY on the dot.
Unfortunately, i don't always think perfection works out well musically...You need some character in the grooves, some human FEEL. I'd love to have Axe's superior speed and consistency....i'd just apply those traits in a much different way.

The drum sound (and overall mix as well) on this recording are just PITIFUL...if this was released as a DVD, that audio engineer should be beaten. The snare sounds triggered...extremely fake. The overheads aren't even barely audible, and every part of the kit lacks any impact or deep tone.

I predict that Axe will get groovier as a drummer the longer he is in Opeth. Consider the difference between López's work on Amon Amarth's "Once Sent from the Golden Hall", and then on "Deliverance" and "Ghost Reveries". Being in the band will help shape him.

I predict that Axe will get groovier as a drummer the longer he is in Opeth. Consider the difference between López's work on Amon Amarth's "Once Sent from the Golden Hall", and then on "Deliverance" and "Ghost Reveries". Being in the band will help shape him.

+1 Also My Arms Your Hearse, was his first work with Opeth, and there was quite a big difference drumwise with future releases

Good god, Mike's clean vocals sound AMAZING. Completely blows away "Lamentations", though I do miss some of the spontaneity in the drum department....still solid tho.

Absolutely horribly mixed. It's like they've just sucked the life out of the whole song.