Orchid

I could never see why alot of people prefer Morningrise to Orchid....

Orchid is a masterpiece. Not my favorite from Opeth ,but it is without a doubt amazing. I had even more respect for it after seeing them play "Under The Weeping Moon" live.

I think The Twilight is My Robe is one of the best songs ever written.

agreed, i love orchid, it was the last album i bought(i rarely like debut albums) but i wasnt disappointed, i loved it, i find it tends to be a bit more prog, but thats just me........and its not like you can mesure prog haha

one of my favorites, although i love their new stuff too.......i just love everything :lol:

I actually prefer Orchid over MR and MAYH...not to say those albums are bad at all. I mean in mist she was standing, under the weeping moon, forest of october, the twilight is my robe...silloutte or however you spell it, such beautifle songs!

Orchid is great. I put it above Damnation, Deliverence, and Ghost Reveries imo.

"Forest of October"
Nuff said
:kickass:

I'm giving Orchid a listen today, I think I've only ever listened to it a couple of times before actually. It was the last album I bought when I first got into them and started to collect their back-catalogue. Can't say I've ever been that keen on it. The production is so trebbly, I'm not really into the twin-harmony guitar thing, and the songwriting is so stilted, it's just one bit after another with no real flow. Actually on listening to it today it's not that bad, but it's hard to believe it's the same band and it doesn't really have any of what drew me to Opeth in the first place.

Possibly Opeth's worst album.

Yes it was pretty original and impressive as a debut, but very immature song writing and some piss awful riffs/sections.

I've still actually not heard this album, other than the track Silhouette. Have been meaning to get it for fucking ages, every other album of theirs is amazing, but I've yet to check this one out, for no particular reason.

PS. When Mikael reads these forums, his head must swell to immense proportions

orchid was the last one i bought as well, i never gave it a real chance (got MAYH at the same time) until a while ago, but i love it now, its not my favorite but its not my least favorite :lol: best debut ever

Orchid is my third favorite Opeth album behind MAYH and Still Life. I first heard it when I was in high school around '97. I had a buddy turn me onto them with Twilight is My Robe. I'd never heard anything like it. So, I bought the album and picked up Morningrise a few months later.

I don't listen to it as much these days. But, it still hold the fact that it's the album that got me into the band.