Origin review

Erik Tiwaz said:
Who's "Eric"? :p

Well, it is organic, no effects, no amp, just the bass, D.I., MonsterCables, EMU 1820m soundcard (the one with ProTools converters) and a tad bit of compression. I used nylon strings for the bigger part of the album, and regular flats for the rest.

Damn, sorry for mispelling your name. I hate when it happens to me, and I have a way more complicated (family) name....

I see your point, the sound is natural, that is obvious. Its just, well... maybe too much attack and less sustain for my liking, thats all...

Erik Tiwaz said:
Who's "Eric"? :p

Well, it is organic, no effects, no amp, just the bass, D.I., MonsterCables, EMU 1820m soundcard (the one with ProTools converters) and a tad bit of compression. I used nylon strings for the bigger part of the album, and regular flats for the rest.

As Grains is my favorite song at the moment, I listen to all musical instruments the best as possible, and I just LOVE the bass on that song. Great sound, but more important, nicely played!

The Hubster said:
Great review (although I am sick to death of the "prog" buzzword).
Definately, people seem to be just throwing it around instead of using words like experimental or orignal.

Nick_Perrin said:
As a victim of a myriad of intentions, leakers must learn to think before they uploooooooooad.

Great album. Will buy. No question.

That is a great song, but I love this album because I am always switching to different songs. Out of all the previous Borknagar albums I would say that for me, this is the most well-rounded of them all. I don't consistently choose one, two, three or even four songs over others to listen to, I switch it up (that is, when I'm not listening to the album from start to finish)!

same here. the musics are linked.... they flow so naturally....I could listen to them all-day long

Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit rude that everyone came into the forum giving reviews on a ripped album? Reguardless if they're going to buy it on release it or not.

Ahhh well I don't know if I should download it, since I plan to buy it when I go to Norway :) :headbang: :kickass: :worship: :headbang: (please check "My Trip to Europe" thread, i have a few questions...), so I'm not sure if I can resist the temptation till then... *goes crazy o_O * .

Paul said:
The only thing that is s slight disappointment for me is the bass sound (The notes are all right :) )

I don’t listen to any new song; I’m waiting for the entire original album, so I don’t know how it sounds. But must be said that most of the mp3 you find on the web are awful, especially most of the low frequencies get lost, so I think it’s better to listen to the original cd before talking about mixing, production and things like that

Excellent review and I couldnt agree more.

You guys should really be proud of yourselves, you've produced a marvelous piece of work. Well done :)

Did anyone notice that Borknagar new album is called "Origin" and Vintersorg new album will be (roughly translated) "Sun's origins/roots" ?Maybe there's a link....

Mantis said:
Did anyone notice that Borknagar new album is called "Origin" and Vintersorg new album will be (roughly translated) "Sun's origins/roots" ?Maybe there's a link....

Doesn't surprise me, the parallels continue to allign between the two bands, and in my opinion a bit too many parallels.

Zephyrus said:
Doesn't surprise me, the parallels continue to allign between the two bands, and in my opinion a bit too many parallels.

Oooooh! :heh:

Yeah you're quite right in some ways. In any case this album is still great material with lots of replay value.

Mantis said:

It's not that related actually...when naming the Vintersorg album we hadn't made any decisions for the Borknagar album..even if we had some suggestions for it..the Borknagar title is more based on the fact that Öystein have always written the guitar chords and riffs on acoustic first and we have talked about doing a acoustic album for a long time, so the title reflects the whole spirit of the band and where it comes from. The Vintersorg album's title is a relfection of the lyrics...in connection with the ideas we have for the album. As I see if from the inside I don't see that many connections regarding this matter...it's the same for a person who have multiple band and use the word "dark" is several of them..

mr V

Borknagar used to be one of the few things that kept me achored to this useless world. Each new album brought me a small glimpse of happiness, a faint vision of what life could be like if God hadn't plagued my existence with every shred of spite and scorn he could conjure. Upon hearing Origin for the first time, I was immediately struck: lush strings, woodwinds, and the most depressing vocals I've ever heard. Not depressing because they're emotive, though - depressing because they SOUND LIKE FUCKIN SHIT HOLY GOD

Are the songs good? I don't know. Every time I try to listen to the album I'm too distracted by the thin, strained, tuneless, melodramatic vocal "performance" to notice anything else. The only time the torture stops is for the all-too-brief 5th track, "White," which thankfully features Lars Nedland on lead vocals.

In summary: Is this good music? Not really. Is it good sonic warfare? Hell yes. Borknagar should be selling this to the Japanese military.