Origin review

I had a very strange dream last night.

Borknagar was playing live in one of the hallways of my school and I was the only one there. I couldn't figure out what you were playing but I recognized Oystein and Erik. I went up to Erik to get an autograph and he handed me a piece of paper with a bunch of numbers written on it.

Prog sucks and that reviewer is a pedophile.

What's with calling reviewers pedophiles? Someone also told me the other day that the guy who wrote the "10 dumbest black metal photos ever" article was also a convicted pedophile. And when I was in college someone told me one of the editors of Metal Maniacs was a pedo. YOU ARE ALL DISEASED.

I've got the new album and I'm really disappointed. Damn, it's a boring album. It definately cannot match with the great acoustic albums names like Ulver or Empyrium made. Vintersorg vocals are hell of annoying and the music is quite inspirationless. This is absolutely not what to expect from a major league band like Borknagar. I'm sure the upcoming album will whipe away this nonsense. Good luck next times guys. To end possitive: I like the artwork and concept behind "Origin".

I was sure that Borknagar were really talented to create a great acoustic album, but they have really gone far beyond my expectations. "Origin" is just the best acoustic album I've ever heard. Usually, acoustic albums coming from metal bands are nice, but nothing outstanding, I think. However this one is wonderfully done. For me, not only a fantastic album but also one of the best Borknagar releases :worship:

Highlights: the acoustic version of "Oceans Rise" (I could never imagine that it would sound so beautiful; great bass work on it too), "White" and the instrumental beauty of "The Spirit of Nature".

The only negative thing is that Lazare didn't sing too much. He sounds awesome when he appears.

"The Spirit of Nature" is just so damn magical. It sounds corny but I dont know how else to describe it, it finally got cold down here and I went outside to get high and listen to it, unforgetable.

Wonder what happened to Vintersorg, he used to be a gifted vocalist, but on this record he sounds like a whining calf. So much good music wasted, even my good old recorder-idol brought with them, but all in vain. Sigh.
I think Borknagar should find a new vocalist, it seems Vintersorg does his art much better in other places.

This review reflected my views in a good way: Review of Origin by Borknagar

After having heard it many many times now, here's my final word. An extremely listenable, peaceful, and often beautiful album. Likely one of the best acoustic albums of recent times, but I really dislike Vintersorg's vocals on it. They do not improve with exposure to the music on this disc, rather I'm noticing more and more how strange or exaggerated they sound.

He's done better - or I might just be tired of hearing his singing so much, what with Vintersorg, Borknagar and Cronian.

i know it's hard to compare acoustic albums of metalbands who decided to make an acoustic album, i think Opeth's Damnation is the best one (...!!), honestly.

BUT, Origin would have been better, seriously, if we would get to hear Lazare more, AND if it were like 20 minutes longer.
i mean, come on, 35 MINUTES for god's sake..

i know it's hard to compare acoustic albums of metalbands who decided to make an acoustic album, i think Opeth's Damnation is the best one (...!!), honestly.

BUT, Origin would have been better, seriously, if we would get to hear Lazare more, AND if it were like 20 minutes longer.
i mean, come on, 35 MINUTES for god's sake..

I agree Damnation is better imo, but Damnation is also much much more modern and accesable. Origin doesnt offer as much instant gratification so to speak. Also I would go out on a limb and say Origin displays much more musicianship. I cant play any songs from it but I can play a lot of Damnation and its pretty easy. Again my ear isnt good, but I would imagine Origin gets somewhat complicated with all that classical stuff which I know nothing about.

Then again I could be and probably am completly wrong. Sorry if that didnt make sense I just woke up.