Orphaned Land and Coolness!

Androz said:
I don't see what they have in common but I LOVE both Moontower and Tales From the Thousand Lakes
Some of the riffs and growls on Moontower remind me of Tales From The Thousand lakes. Maybe it's just me though.
But I love that progressive death metal sound with those deep growling vocals and the super heavy but melodic riffs. Especially when there is that proggy atmosphere (Dream Theater's song Pull Me Under or Time Requiem's self titled album are good examples of that proggy atmosphere). Orphaned Land has a little of that on some of their songs, although maybe it's just the setting on my iPod.
There's a Swedish band called Pandemonium (I think that's how they spell their name, but I'm not exactly sure). They also have that 70's prog sound mixed with death metal. I don't have any of their albums yet, but I've heard many of their songs.

I love everything Amorphis put out. I did a review on Eclipse too.

Tuonela is amazing. I could listen to the first track for hours.

Elegy is amazing too. That melody in On Rich And Poor is addicting. I also love the part during the last two and a half minutes of My Kantele (Intrumental Reprise) with the kantele and the 70's synths.

I love all their albums basically.

If you're only used to the more melodic Amorphis though, even Tales and Elegy, the The Karelian Isthmus album will be a real surprise to you. It's a really slow doomy death album. I would even call it grind if Bolt Thrower is considered a grind band, although that Amorphis album is very slow and some of the stuff from Bolt Thrower is pretty fast.

I've never seen it say anywhere that Denmark is not Scandinavia. In fact, it's usually Finland that is not called part of Scandinavia, although I think it is.

Pandemonium is quite good. I was going to see them with Graveworm but Graveworm cancelled, don't know if the rest of the 5 other bands who were opening was still playing, I don't think so, but I still have the ticket, becasue they said they would reschedual. Nothing ever happened :(

Metal head87 said:
If you're only used to the more melodic Amorphis though, even Tales and Elegy, the The Karelian Isthmus album will be a real surprise to you. It's a really slow doomy death album. I would even call it grind if Bolt Thrower is considered a grind band, although that Amorphis album is very slow and some of the stuff from Bolt Thrower is pretty fast.
As for Amorphis, I am indeed more used to their melodic stuff (Tuonela, My Kantele and Far from the sun). I thought it was a real pity when Pasi left the band as he was such a charismatic frontman but the new vocalist is quite a good replacement ...live at least... But will definitely check out their earlier stuff.
I love doom death too, early Cathedral, Mourning Beloveth, even more extreme stuff such as Lee Dorrian's side project Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine or Bunkur from Holland, who played this year's Doom Shall Rise festival.
Bolt Thrower may have started out as a grind band but I would consider them pure death since Warmaster... Karl Willets definitely rules and I'm glad he's back...

PinkThrone said:

according to this Iceland is a part of scandinavia but are there any cool death metal bands in Iceland because I never heard of any and björk isn't metal she's just fucking wierd:lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Cross_Flag
so I guess now it's official...any country with a cross in her flag is scandinavian that would be Sweden,Denmark,Norway,Iceland,Finnland,England,Normandie,Nazi Germany,Type O negative and other places

note that the flag of Jämtland,Sweden is awefully close to the flag of Iran
coincidence?I think not

sister ophelia said:
As for Amorphis, I am indeed more used to their melodic stuff (Tuonela, My Kantele and Far from the sun). I thought it was a real pity when Pasi left the band as he was such a charismatic frontman but the new vocalist is quite a good replacement ...live at least... But will definitely check out their earlier stuff.
I love doom death too, early Cathedral, Mourning Beloveth, even more extreme stuff such as Lee Dorrian's side project Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine or Bunkur from Holland, who played this year's Doom Shall Rise festival.
Bolt Thrower may have started out as a grind band but I would consider them pure death since Warmaster... Karl Willets definitely rules and I'm glad he's back...
I don't know if you checked out Eclipse yet, but it is amazing! The vocalist is an excellent replacement for Pasi, although Pasi did kick some serious ass. I did a review for the album here. The review is not that good, but it was the first time I ever wrote a review.

PinkThrone said:
Pandemonium is quite good. I was going to see them with Graveworm but Graveworm cancelled, don't know if the rest of the 5 other bands who were opening was still playing, I don't think so, but I still have the ticket, becasue they said they would reschedual. Nothing ever happened :(

are you talking about Pan.Thy.Monium...one of Swanö's crazier bands?

paradoxile said:
according to this Iceland is a part of scandinavia but are there any cool death metal bands in Iceland because I never heard of any and björk isn't metal she's just fucking wierd:lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Cross_Flag
so I guess now it's official...any country with a cross in her flag is scandinavian that would be Sweden,Denmark,Norway,Iceland,Finnland,England,Normandie,Nazi Germany,Type O negative and other places

note that the flag of Jämtland,Sweden is awefully close to the flag of Iran
coincidence?I think not
That depends if you talk about norden or scandinavia:Smug:

Haha, since when has Nazi germany had a cross? o_O;

paradoxile said:
are you talking about Pan.Thy.Monium...one of Swanö's crazier bands?
No. Pandemonium are a melodic prog death metal band from Sweden. I don't think Dan has anything to do with them, although I wouldn't be too surprised if he did.

Power metal rules! I love both the US and Euro scene but he Euro scene more because its so cheesy an its just so happy!