Orphaned Land should cover a Dead Can Dance song

Ruthven

Sep 13, 2003
We've all heard Orphaned Land's cover of "Mercy," and I think they'd do a great job with a Dead Can Dance song. In a roundabout way, it was because of Dead Can Dance that I got into Orphaned Land. I was at ProgPower 2004 and was browsing the dearler's room when one of the Century Media people saw my Dead Can Dance shirt. He said, "Have I got the band for you," and told me about "Mabool." I had previously heard the "Mercy" cover, and decided to check "Mabool" out. Easily the best purchase I made all weekend long.

When I found out that Orphaned Land would be playing an acoustic set at the PreParty last weekend, I thought that one of my Dead Can Dance shirts would be appropriate. So as I was meeting Kobi after the set, he told me that he liked my shirt and that Dead Can Dance "rules." That was really cool, and I was glad that he was a fan of the band as well.

Question is, which song would be cool to hear Orphaned Land cover? Hmmmm.... :Spin:

Folklore is not speaking about the accoustic CD attached to Mabool.

For years we used the song Cantara of Dead Can Dance as intro to our shows, before the Mabool I recorded some reading of mine on this song and we called it The Calm Before The Flood (which was also the names of the shows we did before Mabool) a CD with this recording was givven for free in limited amount of 667 copies! and I think some of the tracks are on the net!!

both versions of your cover of Mercy (the metal one and the acoustic one) are great, you should guy make one or two covers for your next album, that would be nice!

cheers!

Ah ok - now I see why "Calm Before the Flood" was mentioned. I do think that many of the acoustic pieces on the ep attached to "Mabool" have a DCDish flavor to them. Thanks for the heads-up, Kobi.

i'd like to hear an OL version of Saltarello from 'Aion', with some oriental instruments like Qannun, Dumbek and the obligatory Oud, Saz and Bouzuki.

Summoning Of The Muse with lyrics translated to Hebrew would be interesting too...

Dead Can Dance is a hell of a band. One of my all time favourites, though I don't dig the vocalists so much, don't like the vocals style. maybe it's something psycological from childhood? :s.
When we were touring with Paradise Lost, Nick Holmes, ths vocalist, of course, during the vocals sound checks, used to sing "The wind that shook the barley", which is a Dead Can Dance song, from the album "Into the Labyrinth". Hell of a band.