Orphaned Land in NYC 03/08 - Who's going?

Wish I had been there, but it sounds great that they drew a good crowd on a Monday night.

Setlists at their forum?

setlist right here!

OL_setlist.jpg

Great show! Definitely worth the plane ride from Atlanta! Suidakra blew me away too. No barricade made the show even more intimate! It was good seeing my NY peeps again too! :headbang:

Some very quality footage of the NYC show (where you can actually see in a few songs how the crowd was really into it):

Last edited by a moderator:
Angra - Those your videos? Very nice quality, if I only had sound @ work to listen to them.

My computer is toast, so I can't post up my pics and video (first time trying it out with my camera - damn shaky though!). I'll get some up eventually.

I had an absolute blast at the show and in NYC. Maybe a little too much :kickass: (beer) throughout the day, but it was the most fun I've had in a long, long time.

I was basically 2-3 people over to the left of the point of view of the videos Angra posted.

I was behind (Lela) until she got bit on the shoulder. All of a sudden she was crying out and I was like WTF? and her and another girl where going at it or something. I tried to talk to her and tell her she's alright, but after seeing her at the end of the show, she had a hefty bandage on her arm. (I think she said the crazy chick ran off, but they caught her and the cops came too) A guy she was with asked me to save her spot and I was up against the barrier the rest of the night, just to the left of center stage.

For anyone who might have seen me (or been annoyed by me) - I had a Moonsorrow shirt on and a blue backpack. Sorry if I pissed anyone off jumping around or waving my camera around, I was just in my own little world for OL's set.

I didn't notice much wrong with the sound that night. I thought OL had more enegry than I ever would have thought and Yossi was just a riot to watch play and jump around.:headbang:

Angra - Those your videos? Very nice quality, if I only had sound @ work to listen to them.

My computer is toast, so I can't post up my pics and video (first time trying it out with my camera - damn shaky though!). I'll get some up eventually.

I had an absolute blast at the show and in NYC. Maybe a little too much :kickass: (beer) throughout the day, but it was the most fun I've had in a long, long time.

I was basically 2-3 people over to the left of the point of view of the videos Angra posted.

I was behind (Lela) until she got bit on the shoulder. All of a sudden she was crying out and I was like WTF? and her and another girl where going at it or something. I tried to talk to her and tell her she's alright, but after seeing her at the end of the show, she had a hefty bandage on her arm. (I think she said the crazy chick ran off, but they caught her and the cops came too) A guy she was with asked me to save her spot and I was up against the barrier the rest of the night, just to the left of center stage.

For anyone who might have seen me (or been annoyed by me) - I had a Moonsorrow shirt on and a blue backpack. Sorry if I pissed anyone off jumping around or waving my camera around, I was just in my own little world for OL's set.

I didn't notice much wrong with the sound that night. I thought OL had more enegry than I ever would have thought and Yossi was just a riot to watch play and jump around.:headbang:

No, the videos were posted by a guy named Anthony (impaledonafence1). He's known for attending a lot of concerts and making videos whenever he's allowed to do so.

I remember seeing you there. As a matter of fact, I think I spoke to you for a little bit. Definitely remember the only Moonsorrow shirt there.

I had no idea about the whole biting incident. I must say that in a way, it's funny. :lol: I'd never expect a girl to simply attack another by biting. However, I did see the alleged "biter" being thrown on the floor after some incident, but I didn't know that has anything to do with it. :lol:

I still laugh about it. I mean, biting? :lol:

I remember seeing you there. As a matter of fact, I think I spoke to you for a little bit. Definitely remember the only Moonsorrow shirt there.

Really? Huh, like I said, I had maybe one beer too many during the course of the day (we spent a majority of it at McSorley's). Mixed with a helping of cold medicine, it was quite the day for me.

Did we speak before, after, during?

Really? Huh, like I said, I had maybe one beer too many during the course of the day (we spent a majority of it at McSorley's). Mixed with a helping of cold medicine, it was quite the day for me.

Did we speak before, after, during?

Before the show, I believe, when it was still a bit empty. I may be wrong though, might be thinking of someone else. But I definitely remember the Moonsorrow shirt! Haha, it was definitely not after, because me and my friends rushed back to GCT to get back to CT.

Before the show, I believe, when it was still a bit empty. I may be wrong though, might be thinking of someone else. But I definitely remember the Moonsorrow shirt! Haha, it was definitely not after, because me and my friends rushed back to GCT to get back to CT.

Haha, if it was before the show, that's a little foggy :). I think I might have fallen asleep during the first two bands, not sure though :).

We walked around NY for a while and missed the 1217 train back to CT, and then took the 0112 train. I didn't get home until exactly 4AM, luckily I had yesterday off to try and recover.

Oh, man... I am Officially Envious: they played "Halo Dies."

Looks like it was a really good show. If I'd gotten my tax refund in time and could have taken the time off work, I'd have been there too. Wouldn't have been the first time I'd flown up to NYC to see a band at BB King's, either. (Right, Glenn? :))

We got kind of jacked in Chicago. It was almost set up like two shows in one: first some local opener, then Suidakra, then Orphaned Land headlining show #1. Then everyone leaves (presumably, I don't know for sure, since I left!), and then show #2 is a local group of 3 bands headlined by Indian. The upshot is that OL only played for 50 minutes. But hey, at least I got home early.

Anyhow, it was still pretty great, and it helped increase my impression of 'ORwarriOR' even more. Was also good to finally see Yossi playing with them, dude adds a lot of spirit (not to mention vocals) to the band. Sound was a bit shit (bass heavy) at least where I was standing, but since I know all the songs really well, that wasn't a problem. Something like 80-100 people on hand (normal metal people), which seemed to bum out the Suidakra guys a bit more than the OL guys.

Setlist was something like:

Sapari
From Broken Vessels
Barakah
The Kiss of Babylon
El Meod Na'Ala (w/ sweet lounge vibe)
The Path Part 1 (maybe?)
Ocean Land
Norra El Norra
In Thy Neverending Way

Neil

We got kind of jacked in Chicago. It was almost set up like two shows in one: first some local opener, then Suidakra, then Orphaned Land headlining show #1. Then everyone leaves (presumably, I don't know for sure, since I left!), and then show #2 is a local group of 3 bands headlined by Indian. The upshot is that OL only played for 50 minutes. But hey, at least I got home early.

Anyhow, it was still pretty great, and it helped increase my impression of 'ORwarriOR' even more. Was also good to finally see Yossi playing with them, dude adds a lot of spirit (not to mention vocals) to the band. Sound was a bit shit (bass heavy) at least where I was standing, but since I know all the songs really well, that wasn't a problem. Something like 80-100 people on hand (normal metal people), which seemed to bum out the Suidakra guys a bit more than the OL guys.

Setlist was something like:

Sapari
From Broken Vessels
Barakah
The Kiss of Babylon
El Meod Na'Ala (w/ sweet lounge vibe)
The Path Part 1 (maybe?)
Ocean Land
Norra El Norra
In Thy Neverending Way

Neil

Hate to say it, but I'm glad I didn't go. After seeing Orphaned land for 75 minutes at Progpower, I would've been pissed off to only see them for 50 minutes since they were a headliner.

I heard about Indian headlining.

I didn't realize there were THREE bands between OL and Indian.

Yeah, the club screwed up with the advertising on this one.

Glad I didn't go, since it looks like missing their set unless you got their early was a possibility!

It pretty much sucked. I went more for Suidakra, and they had trouble with their laptop so the samples didn't work. They cut their set short by 3 songs and only played one new song. Plus side I met all the guys. I realized for sure that while I appreciate Orphaned Land and I think they are very ballsy for trying to pull off what they do, I just don't like it that much.

the turnout was only 80-100??
:cry:

that really sucks if that was the case.. the NYC show was somewhere around 500. And that on a Monday night. I guess we lucked out..

the turnout was only 80-100??

That estimate is low. While getting a beer in the back, I started counting people and I was into the 70s and I was about 1/2 done. So I'd guess closer to 150, which is still not a good turnout.

OL did give their all into the performance and came out afterwards to hang out, take pics, etc. It was actually a positive that went on early, as we were able to get the new CD signed and chit-chat. They were on little sleep coming from their Canadian shows and had to travle the next morning, so if they went on later we likely wouldn't have met them.

The other good news is they are working with mangers, labels, etc to get back here later in the year for a bigger tour. No word on whether they will be supporting someone or headlining, but the fact they are trying to get back is great news!

That estimate is low. While getting a beer in the back, I started counting people and I was into the 70s and I was about 1/2 done. So I'd guess closer to 150, which is still not a good turnout.

Ah, good, another counter! I counted about 50 in the semi-densely packed area from where I was forwards, and then estimated that the open spaces behind would have trouble contributing another 30 (so my "-100" was actually quite generous in my mind). But yeah, if you actually started from the back, maybe you found a bunch more people back there than I assumed.

The other good news is they are working with mangers, labels, etc to get back here later in the year for a bigger tour. No word on whether they will be supporting someone or headlining, but the fact they are trying to get back is great news!

Yeah, makes sense that this would be just a water-testing, and I'd guess they're hoping that their time at SXSW will go a long way to determining that future. Because they do really seem like a band that could go over well here if someone put some money behind them. They've got a good "story", a good look, are good performers, and even though their music is fairly odd and complex, it goes over pretty smoothly in a live situation.

Neil

Yeah, makes sense that this would be just a water-testing, and I'd guess they're hoping that their time at SXSW will go a long way to determining that future. Because they do really seem like a band that could go over well here if someone put some money behind them. They've got a good "story", a good look, are good performers, and even though their music is fairly odd and complex, it goes over pretty smoothly in a live situation.

I concur!!!:headbang: