OT: 250+ bottles of beer on the wall

nafnikufesin

N.F.F.
Dec 6, 2001
In a Zone
amandababypics.tripod.com
A friend of mine and I, after both moving from Toronto to Edmonton, decided we wanted to start a beer festival here like the one they have in Ontario. On Monday nights, we started getting together to do "research" (ie. drinking beer). To try and make it more "scientific", we started rating each beer that we drank. 18 months later, we are no closer to starting a beer festival in Edmonton, but we now have 6 regular raters (perfect for a six-pack), and as of tonight have rated 251 different beers.

My wall of empties:
wallofbeer

Knowing that a few of you like to drink the occasional beer or twelve, I thought I would share our research with anyone that is interested. Ratings of all 251 beers are in a spread sheet in the files section at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mmmmbeer/ and is updated weekly with our latest tastings. I'm still waiting to get my hands on one of the Bush beers that John had in MOMD

i have tried a few diff beers,the only ones i can enjoy would be coors and millers draft,the best australia beer is vb and it just has so much more flavour and bite than any imported beers that i have tried,it make no sense to buy expensive imported beer when our own is so good.

Looks like my kitchen after a nice weekend:kickass: I really want to try that Victoria's bitter or whatever it is called, mrthrax. I have heard nothing but good things about that beer.

MyHatredforYouRunsDeep said:
Looks like my kitchen after a nice weekend:kickass: I really want to try that Victoria's bitter or whatever it is called, mrthrax. I have heard nothing but good things about that beer.

cool man,the scary thing is though that fosters beer seems to be worldwide,its actually the worst beer on the planet,fosters actualy own the company the makes victoria bitter.

dont ever drink fosters lol.

mrthrax said:
cool man,the scary thing is though that fosters beer seems to be worldwide,its actually the worst beer on the planet,fosters actualy own the company the makes victoria bitter.

dont ever drink fosters lol.
I want to try now that I'm ready for a beer too. If Fosters owns it maybe I can get the liquor store to order it or try and find it at the old Beverage warehouse I use to go too.

It's strange I never heard of it until it's been mentioned in posts here on the NFMB.

Victoria Bitter is sitting 143rd on our list (out of 251) with an average rating of 5.04/10 from 4 raters. A good drinking beer, but fairly average overall IMO. Our favorite Australian brew that we've tried so far is Tooheys Extra Dry which is 69th with an average rating of 5.78.

nafnikufesin said:
Victoria Bitter is sitting 143rd on our list (out of 251) with an average rating of 5.04/10 from 4 raters. A good drinking beer, but fairly average overall IMO. Our favorite Australian brew that we've tried so far is Tooheys Extra Dry which is 69th with an average rating of 5.78.

u guys must be so brainswashed with the shit beer u have lol,tooheys suck let alone extra dry.owell i can only try.,is it too rough tasting for u,the ones i try seem so watery.

Actually, most typical Canadian and American lagers have rated in the lower third of the rankings. They may have a high chugging factor, but they have no taste (except that of water) and their looks and smell are usually below average. Before I started doing this rating with my friends, my favorite beer was Rickards Red, but its rated only 87th now that I'm paying attention to the finer aspects of beer that I never used to notice (like look and smell for example). I'm not saying that I don't like Rickards anymore (nor am I saying I didn't like VB), in fact any beer in the top 150 I'd gladly drink again given the opportunity, but I've just found that the overall characteristics of other beers have pushed them higher. Of course, its all a matter of opinion, as both Coors Light and Budweiser sit in our bottom 50 yet are two of the highest selling beers in North America, so somebody must like that crap :p

nafnikufesin said:
Actually, most typical Canadian and American lagers have rated in the lower third of the rankings. They may have a high chugging factor, but they have no taste (except that of water) and their looks and smell are usually below average. Before I started doing this rating with my friends, my favorite beer was Rickards Red, but its rated only 87th now that I'm paying attention to the finer aspects of beer that I never used to notice (like look and smell for example). I'm not saying that I don't like Rickards anymore (nor am I saying I didn't like VB), in fact any beer in the top 150 I'd gladly drink again given the opportunity, but I've just found that the overall characteristics of other beers have pushed them higher. Of course, its all a matter of opinion, as both Coors Light and Budweiser sit in our bottom 50 yet are two of the highest selling beers in North America, so somebody must like that crap :p

i respect your opinion,i spose where we come from and what we first tasted would define our ways and tastes,whats your top 10 fave beers,i will go and try them?

mrthrax said:
whats your top 10 fave beers,i will go and try them?
1. Boddingtons (7.75)
2. Courage Directors (7.29)
3. Unibroue 11 (7.20)
4. Belle-Vue Kriek (7.13)
5. Newcastle Brown Ale (7.00)
6. Ephemere (2004 Black currant edition) (7.00)
7. Young's Double Chocolate Stout (6.95)
8. Kilkenny (6.93)
9. Sleeman Honey Brown (6.88)
10. Lanigan's Irish Ale (6.88)

A few are Canadian local brews that you might have a hard time finding outside of Canada (3,6, and 10), but many of the others are international names that should be commonly available at better beer stores.

Boddingtons????? WTF :confused: How can that be your fav.? Strange taste you have, nafnikufesin :D

Have you ever tried

Rochefort Trappistes 8
Bells Oberon(Michigan brand)
Jupiler(Belgium)
Kalik(Bahamas)
Hoegaarden(Belgium)
Brockhouse IPA(Denmark)
Bells Two Hearted Ale(Michigan)
Sierra Nevada (California)
Chimay Bleue
Warsteiner(German)
Samichlaus (Switzerland)

And if you have how do they rate on your beer chart?

sorry just spotted this one

I wish I had still had some of the pics for you guys
we would take the empty bottle caps, stick them to the kitchen ceiling. over the table and once there wasnt a spot for a cap it would go into the den, living room ( trust me it looked really cool before we moved out) guiness, shinerbach and ziegenbach, any beer would do just to fill the ceiling

well we needed to give the acid heads somethng wierder to look at :D

MyHatredforYouRunsDeep said:
Boddingtons????? WTF :confused: How can that be your fav.? Strange taste you have, nafnikufesin :D

Have you ever tried

Rochefort Trappistes 8
Bells Oberon(Michigan brand)
Jupiler(Belgium)
Kalik(Bahamas)
Hoegaarden(Belgium)
Brockhouse IPA(Denmark)
Bells Two Hearted Ale(Michigan)
Sierra Nevada (California)
Chimay Bleue
Warsteiner(German)
Samichlaus (Switzerland)

And if you have how do they rate on your beer chart?
Boddington's has it all, great looks, smooth and creamy texture, yet very drinkable. 4 out of 5 people in our rating club that have tried it have rated it as their number one beer, with the fifth rating it as his fifth favorite beer. But to each his own. As I said before, before I started putting thought into how I rated the beers, I wouldn't have even considered drinking most of the beers in my personal top 100, but its expanded my tastes, and I always look forward to trying something new.

As for the others:

Rochefort Trappistes 8 - haven't tried it yet
Bells Oberon(Michigan brand) - haven't tried it yet
Jupiler(Belgium) - haven't tried it yet
Kalik(Bahamas) - haven't tried it yet
Hoegaarden(Belgium) - 3.66/10 (240th place) (I gave it a 3.85)
Brockhouse IPA(Denmark) - haven't tried it yet, but my sisters coming home from Denmark next week, I'll have to tell her to bring some
Bells Two Hearted Ale(Michigan) - haven't tried it yet
Sierra Nevada (California) - we've done the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (I don't know if there are others. The average rating is 5.07/10 for 140th place, but its skewed by one guy who rated it 2.35...I personally gave it a 6.85 (which is pretty damn good) and another friend gave it a 6
Chimay Bleue - average 5.15/10 (129th place) (I gave it a 5.7)
Warsteiner(German) - 5.99/10 (51st place) (I gave it a 6.2)
Samichlaus (Switzerland) - haven't tried it yet

on the flip side whats the worst beer you have rated?

And i challenge you to drink Emu Export, its a West Australian beer. I'd personally rather drink my own urine than drink "domestic violence in a can". Try to get ur hands on some! You'll regret it!!