OT: Any drummers trigger their toms live?

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
With all the shitty venues around here not micing up toms (maybe sometimes 1 overhead that is shitty) my drummer has been talking about triggering his toms.

I figured since many programmed drums are obvious until you hear them in the mix, maybe it'll be the same way.

He has a DM5 Pro which sounds pretty sick on the electronic kit.

Fuck, if he already has a DM5 Pro, I'd do it without a moment's hesitation! The only problem with triggering live, however, is that if you suck as a drummer, the audience actually knows it :D

Fuck, if he already has a DM5 Pro, I'd do it without a moment's hesitation! The only problem with triggering live, however, is that if you suck as a drummer, the audience actually knows it :D

Haha yeah, the DM pro is srsly sick. Kicks the DM5's ass.

I remember watching a video by mr hood saying triggered toms sound weird but I want to do it. It'd be awesome to hear toms through the monitors. :lol:

I know Hellhammer used to do it (with Mayhem, circa Wolf's Lair Abyss/Grand Declaration of War era) but I don't think he does it anymore. That's really all I got haha.

Or he could opt for the Mudvayne approach and just put your own mics on the inside of all the shells, so they're a constant part of the kit - that way all you have to do is plug them into the board.

Not that that would be a madly-expensive-and-potentially-drum-ruining thing to do or anything :p

Steve

Or he could opt for the Mudvayne approach and just put your own mics on the inside of all the shells, so they're a constant part of the kit - that way all you have to do is plug them into the board.

Not that that would be a madly-expensive-and-potentially-drum-ruining thing to do or anything :p

Steve

Too many inputs for the shitty fucking clubs around here, just easier to hand them two 1/4" cables. :lol:

Mis-triggers would be my biggest concern for live triggering. But i figure if you can solve that problem (probably through strategic dampening), and are a solid enough player, it should be fine.

Also, get a clipboard with some paper so you can tally how many clueless people write off your drummer as a cheat who uses "live quantizing."

Mis-triggers would be my biggest concern for live triggering. But i figure if you can solve that problem (probably through strategic dampening), and are a solid enough player, it should be fine.

Also, get a clipboard with some paper so you can tally how many clueless people write off your drummer as a cheat who uses "live quantizing."

Before he knew what the fuck trigger exactly was, he called it live quantizing.

noobs.

Are the venue's really that big that the drums can't be heard without being mic'd up? If so then they really should be mic'ing them up and should have the inputs to do so...

most drummers i see play live with anything except their kick triggered normally doesn't sound too great. i would just learn how to tune your drums and not have to worry about it :]

Are the venue's really that big that the drums can't be heard without being mic'd up? If so then they really should be mic'ing them up and should have the inputs to do so...

Pretty much.

most drummers i see play live with anything except their kick triggered normally doesn't sound too great. i would just learn how to tune your drums and not have to worry about it :]

werd

...the drummer Tjodalv in my band Black Comedy often triggers the whole kit using Roland triggers and a TD-8. The toms has to be muffled for it to work, but i'd rather trust hes module over circumstances like location, PA, AE, etc. It also lets ut have more time on the soundcheck for guitars, bass, vox etc. Most times people comes over and say we had great live sound was with triggered drums, cause everyting is clair.

Also, a boost, gate and tuner pedal on the guitars, a little dist, LP, backline compression (the bass player should have hes own compressor in hes live rig, like a distressor or something) on the bass, and really hard comressed vox seems to be a good recepie for great live sound with metal bands

HH uses/has used alot of triggers live including on the toms.
Though the whole kit is usally miced too as a backup..

...the drummer Tjodalv in my band Black Comedy often triggers the whole kit using Roland triggers and a TD-8. The toms has to be muffled for it to work, but i'd rather trust hes module over circumstances like location, PA, AE, etc. It also lets ut have more time on the soundcheck for guitars, bass, vox etc. Most times people comes over and say we had great live sound was with triggered drums, cause everyting is clair.

Also, a boost, gate and tuner pedal on the guitars, a little dist, LP, backline compression (the bass player should have hes own compressor in hes live rig, like a distressor or something) on the bass, and really hard comressed vox seems to be a good recepie for great live sound with metal bands

Tjodalv, as in the guy who plays on Susperia/ex-Dimmu/ex-Old Man's Child?

Yeah, Hellhammer always uses triggered toms live. I personally think they sound freaking horrible, but at least you can hear what he is doing.