OT: help in English

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
I have a doubt with the proper grammar in a couple of lyrics:

Thin Lizzy - Heart Attack = I love that girl but she don't love me back

Def Leppard - It Don't Matter = It don't matter, it don't matter, it don't matter to me

I understood all my life that for he/she/it the proper form of the verb is doesn't

Am I missing something here, or is a poetic license?

173369.jpg

These guys do have a good excuse though; they're German. :D

The correct grammar is "doesn't" but rock songs always have "slang" words and phrasing.

"Ain't" for example is slang, that isn't proper English either. (The correct word would be "aren't" because ain't is used as an abbreviation for 'are not') But that's all over the place!

tsorl said:
173369.jpg

These guys do have a good excuse though; they're German. :D

Who's German, Thin Lizzy or Def Leppard?? Both are British bands:D

As for the lyrics, Def Leppard hail from Sheffield, England and they have just incorparted Yorkshire slang. Listen to some broad Yorkshire dialect for a bit then I am sure you will understand why Def Leppard don't use the proper queens english.

Thanks to everybody, I guess it never ocurred to me that change verbs form can be considered slang. Now it makes total sense to me.

zeppelin said:
I shall hits yous amongst the eyes, till the blood becomes. :loco:

Give them some South African 'slang' Zep, most colourful language in the world !!
Something like the metro is called a mole-train :D (and there are hundreds of these)
What's that new word under your avatar now ? (no, Im not gonna ask my SA sis-in-law :loco: )
My guess is something like a lazy mother or so ???

Wyvern said:
I have a doubt with the proper grammar in a couple of lyrics:

Thin Lizzy - Heart Attack = I love that girl but she don't love me back

Def Leppard - It Don't Matter = It don't matter, it don't matter, it don't matter to me

I understood all my life that for he/she/it the proper form of the verb is doesn't

Am I missing something here, or is a poetic license?

Ha ha ha just you wait Brother Vern !! I am from the Southeast US, namely Alabama. We are made fun of by people outside of the Southeast part of the US because of our Southern "drawl."

Drawl - Function: verb Etymology: probably frequentative of draw intransitive senses : to speak slowly with vowels greatly prolonged.

The truth is, we don't necessarily speak slow, but Southerners have their own dialect. We use mostly the same wourds, but "ya'll" (sounds like yaw) is very common and is short for you all. I am very easy to understand when I am talking to non-southerners or foreighners. I have pretty fine English skills when I need them and it is simply automatic for me to talk plainly when addressing people out of my region. However..... if you hang out with me enough, you will also hang out with Shaye (Urban Breed's fiancee) and although she is in Atlanta (which is technically The South, but doesn't count because of all of the migration from other parts of the country and world due to it's large size,) she grew up in Alabama as well. If you listen to us, when we are talking with each other, see if you can understand what we are saying. The Southern "drawl" automatically comes back up from both of us when we start talking to another Southerner. I think you will find it interesting.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Ha ha ha just you wait Brother Vern !! I am from the Southeast US, namely Alabama. We are made fun of by people outside of the Southeast part of the US because of our Southern "drawl."

Drawl - Function: verb Etymology: probably frequentative of draw intransitive senses : to speak slowly with vowels greatly prolonged.

The truth is, we don't necessarily speak slow, but Southerners have their own dialect. We use mostly the same wourds, but "ya'll" (sounds like yaw) is very common and is short for you all. I am very easy to understand when I am talking to non-southerners or foreighners. I have pretty fine English skills when I need them and it is simply automatic for me to talk plainly when addressing people out of my region. However..... if you hang out with me enough, you will also hang out with Shaye (Urban Breed's fiancee) and although she is in Atlanta (which is technically The South, but doesn't count because of all of the migration from other parts of the country and world due to it's large size,) she grew up in Alabama as well. If you listen to us, when we are talking with each other, see if you can understand what we are saying. The Southern "drawl" automatically comes back up from both of us when we start talking to another Southerner. I think you will find it interesting.

Bryant
I heard that.

Bryant said:
I'm hip on that Bryant! I lived in Charlotte for 2 years when I had my NASCAR gig. It took me a long time before I could easily decipher the natives when they spoke. It's not just slang and presentation either, them southerners got themselves their own terminology as well.

My first lesson came the first time I went into a grocery store and some lady asked me "Ah ya true wit yo bugga". I had no idea what she was asking me, but fortunately I had a translator with me. The lady was asking if I was through with my grocery cart because she wanted to use it (most of the carts [buggies, as they call 'em in da sout'] were stuck out in the snowbanks in the parking lot).

NP: Bloodbound - Nosferatu

Guys you are scaring me! :p

@ Bryant: don't worry when you finally hear me talking you will have enough laughter ;)

NP: Last Chapter - 'Paths To Always'