OT: help with getting a new Computer monitor

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
I figured this would be an OK place to ask about monitors (the other type) since alot of us do all our work on computers.
At the moment I have a flat pannel non LCD screen. I find that I get very sore eyes when I do any reading on it, such as when seaching these forums.
I have heard that LCD's dont have the same sort of construction/ operation principles and so have a reduced amout of glare/ eye strain.
So far i'd like to know if the difference is all that great?
I was also wandering wether i should upgrade the size of the screen? Currently im using a 17" and sitting within a meter of it. Would it be better or worse for me to get a 19"?

I know that my eyes aren't perfect, but if the screen is a major factor in eye strain then id like to piss it off asap.

All help appreciated.

Daniel

refresh rate? this is the speed at which the screen 'updates' any changes that might be going on, ie you move your mouse, the mouse on the screen moves. he could be referring to something else though.

Yeah, that would be the response time, Dan. What I would do is go to www.msy.com.au check what they have in stock. See some in a price range that you like, then check out online reviews of those models.

Sometimes the specs don't tell you shit about the quality of the screen. You need testimonials for it.

As a general rule though, lower response times are more favourable, as it makes the screen less prone to blurring and inducing nausea.

Nebulous said:
At the moment I have a flat pannel non LCD screen. I find that I get very sore eyes when I do any reading on it, such as when seaching these forums.

You shouldn't feel pain in your eyes...

I have Samsung 17" SyncMaster 755DFX, nothing fancy, and my eyes never hurt. It's very probable the refresh rate of your screen is set to 60Hz and that your display flickers, which tires your eyes and eventualy makes them sore. So, right click your desktop, choose Properties from the menu and then Settings tab. You should find a button named Advanced there, click it and then choose Monitor, there should be a drop menu with various refresh rates available. Choose 85Hz, anything less is gonna tire your eyes. If you however don't see any improvement (more stable display, that is), then you most likely have ATI based graphics card. If that's the case, download ATI Refresh Fix and apply it, after that the refresh rates will work.
Also, check if the screen is slightly blurred. If it is, it can be corrected easily, there's a trimmer at the back when you open the monitor case which regulates the sharpness of the image, BUT DON'T MESS AROUND WITH THAT IF YOU AREN'T QUALIFIED! Take it to the tech if that's the case...

This applies to you all, check your refresh rates if using CRT monitors.

I have heard that LCD's dont have the same sort of construction/ operation principles and so have a reduced amout of glare/ eye strain.
So far i'd like to know if the difference is all that great?

As far as flickering goes, on LCDs it's nonexistant.
But the picture is far better on average CRT than on average LCD display.

I was also wandering wether i should upgrade the size of the screen? Currently im using a 17" and sitting within a meter of it. Would it be better or worse for me to get a 19"?

Do that only if you need extra space on your screen. The size doesn't make your eyes feel less sore, however - a quality screen and decent refresh rate setup make a whole world of difference.

I know that my eyes aren't perfect, but if the screen is a major factor in eye strain then id like to piss it off asap.

You didn't say who produced your monitor and what model it is....
It's most likely your monitor is fine, but your refresh rate isn't set correctly.

Hope this helps. ;)

SickBoy said:
You shouldn't feel pain in your eyes...

I have Samsung 17" SyncMaster 755DFX, nothing fancy, and my eyes never hurt. It's very probable the refresh rate of your screen is set to 60Hz and that your display flickers, which tires your eyes and eventualy makes them sore. So, right click your desktop, choose Properties from the menu and then Settings tab. You should find a button named Advanced there, click it and then choose Monitor, there should be a drop menu with various refresh rates available. Choose 85Hz, anything less is gonna tire your eyes. If you however don't see any improvement (more stable display, that is), then you most likely have ATI based graphics card. If that's the case, download ATI Refresh Fix and apply it, after that the refresh rates will work.
Also, check if the screen is slightly blurred. If it is, it can be corrected easily, there's a trimmer at the back when you open the monitor case which regulates the sharpness of the image, BUT DON'T MESS AROUND WITH THAT IF YOU AREN'T QUALIFIED! Take it to the tech if that's the case...

This applies to you all, check your refresh rates if using CRT monitors.

As far as flickering goes, on LCDs it's nonexistant.
But the picture is far better on average CRT than on average LCD display.

Do that only if you need extra space on your screen. The size doesn't make your eyes feel less sore, however - a quality screen and decent refresh rate setup make a whole world of difference.

You didn't say who produced your monitor and what model it is....
It's most likely your monitor is fine, but your refresh rate isn't set correctly.

Hope this helps. ;)

+ 1

Nebulous said:
Cheers man. My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 153v.
I tried the refresh rate change, but it actually made things worse ?!?!?!

Oh, it's a 15" LCD, why did you say "non LCD"? :err:
The optimum resolution would be 1024x768, with refresh rates rangin at 60-75Hz (any of these values is okay).

If the monitor has a "funny" picture that makes your eyes feel sore even at these settings then it's most probably something wrong with it. But a properly working LCD shouldn't hurt eyes a bit, quite contrary...

Nitronium Blood said:
At 15 inches, the native should be 800x600.

1024x768 would really make everything tiny, and quite possibly DAMAGE THE BRAIN FROM ALL THAT SQUINTING. :lol:

EEEEK - wrong! :p

800x600 is the native resolution for CRT not LCD monitors!
We're talking about an LCD here, NB... ;)
It's especially important to set the correct native resolution on LCDs because when any other resolution is set the picture gets blurred because the pixels do not correspond to the cells of the LCD matrix and have to be approximated...