other music

Tabasko

May 1, 2001
Wunstorf/Hannover
www.accb.de
The different music styles Opeth use to create their art are very wide. So I would like to know what a metalfan listens to apart from just all the hard stuff.
I personally listen to a lot of alternative music, songwriters, acoustic music.:cool:

Although I listen to just about anything musically inclined, as far as the acoustic music is concerned, there are 2 people I recommend. Preston Reed is absolutely amazing. He turns an acoustic guitar into a whole band. He thumps out a beat while he plays a rhythym and lead at the same time and its all grooves! Another guy the Reed has worked with is Laurence Juber. Both are incredible but hard to find. try AcousticMusicResource.com
http://www.acousticmusicresource.com/

If not listening to metal I guess I mainly listen to rock....quite a variety I suppose. Australian stuff like Midnight Oil and Hunters and Collectors, and also stuff like Faith No More and Soundgarden.

Besides metal I listen to: Red House Painters, Slowdive, Songs: Ohia, Mark Kozelek, Chopin, Mozart, Bach and so on.

It's almost frightening how much Mike's voice sounds like Mark Kozelek's at times.. He's the singer of Red House Painters, I recommend them..

I listen to a lot of different music, although metal is my favorite. I listen to a lot of blues and classical music. I love classic rock, and I listen to a little bit of jazz. :)

Frank Zappa, Dan Swano (Edge of Sanity, Nightingale, Unicorn) , and my hometown favourite Devin Townsend (Strapping Young Lad, Ocean Machine, Infinity, Physicist...) would be the big ones, along with other Scandanavian metal lads like the enigmatic Ulver, Katatonia, In Flames, Amorphis, Hypocrisy, Therion, Nightwish, Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquility, Gardenian, etc. etc. Classic rock like Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath, and other names here or there like Dream Theater, Miles Davis and Nick Drake.

I listen to alot of classical, dark acoustic stuff (such as the Kveldssanger album of Ulver's), then stuff like Maiden, Paradise Lost, Anathema, My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Dismember, Mayhem, Death, Dark Tranquillity, Moonspell, Therion, Sentenced, that sort of stuff, really heavy death/black, as well as melodic metal...and Pink Floyd and Pearl Jam (yeah puke on me)

I have quite an array of musical influences, I'll try to keep it short but covering all the styles(atleast if I can remember them all)

Metal -

Classic = old Priest, Maiden, Manowar, Sabbath, etc
Doom= Saint Vitus, Trouble, Cathedral, Pentagram, etc.
Death = few ...Vader, Angelcorpse.
Melodic Swede/Death= Opeth, In Flames, Amon Amarth, Dark Tranquility,etc.
Black= Emperor, Satyricon, Immortal, Old Man's Child (melodic black and, at times,Gothenburg influenced )
Black/thrash=Venom, Celtic frost, Bathory, Destruction(first album).
Doom-Death = My Dying Bride, early Paradise Lost.

Obscure 60's 70's music:

Heavy rock: Dust, Sir Lord Baltimore, Blue cheer, The Stooges, Mc5, Bang, Captain Beyond,
early Pentagram/Bedemon, Cactus, Hawkwind, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, etc.
Ambient/Instrumental = Bo Hannson, Tangerine Dream, Mike Oldfield, Vengalis, Kraftwerk, Kitaro, Amon duul ,etc.
British Blues= John Mayall and Bluesbreakers, 60's Fleetwood Mac( before they got the girls in the band! Trust me they were hardcore blues - even Priest covered one of their songs from this era-), Ten Years After.

Classical :

Middle Ages= Various church music
Baroque= Bach, Handel.
Classical=Mozart , Beethoven, Haydn
Pre-Romantic=Beethoven
Romantic=Mussorsky, Wagner, Greig.

That is bassically my spectrum...I have to admit for a while I liked old punk but do not really listen to that style anymore....

Punk: early Misfits, Black Flag, The Mummies, The Nihilistics, The Damned.

I feel like I am forgetting something but I think that about sums it up.

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
Frank Zappa, Dan Swano (Edge of Sanity, Nightingale, Unicorn) , and my hometown favourite Devin Townsend (Strapping Young Lad, Ocean Machine, Infinity, Physicist...) would be the big ones, along with other Scandanavian metal lads like the enigmatic Ulver, Katatonia, In Flames, Amorphis, Hypocrisy, Therion, Nightwish, Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquility, Gardenian, etc. etc. Classic rock like Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath, and other names here or there like Dream Theater, Miles Davis and Nick Drake.

Dude, you just about summed up all my favorite music. :D
I'm glad you placed Zappa at the beginning! He was THE musical genius!
My favorite bands at the moment have to be Dream Theater, Yes, Steely Dan, Underworld, Squarepusher, Candiria, and Opeth, now that they came out with a new album to sink my teeth into. :)
Hear the new Ulver yet? I managed to get the whole thing off Napster a while ago.... it's fucking awesome. Very, very different, but different is what I was expecting. ;)

Billy

instrumental folk/easy listening- Nest, October Falls.

Black/Folk Metal- Ensiferum, Wintersun, Falkenbach, Rivendell, Immortal, Agalloch.

Prog/Prog Metal/Rock- Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Blackfield.

Metal- In Flames, Mastodon, Pelican.

mostly prog stuff... porcupine tree, blackfield, VAST, anathema are probably my top 4. and lately ive been getting into the australian scene a little with bands like the butterfly effect (imago rocked my socks!).

Powers said:
If it's good and it doesn't want to take itself too seriously, I'll listen to it. Be it pop, funk, jazz, soul, metal, rock, punk, industrial, dance, trance, ochestral whatever.
I only listen to music that takes itself seriously. But to each his pwn I guess....