Others Opinions of Katatonia

Cliche Kid

Not a goth kid
Jan 23, 2006
Guys,

Im just wondering what the opinions were of people you have tried to introduce to Katatonia.

Nearly every person I have tried to interest in Kata, bar one, have not enjoyed them. Most seem to think they are boring or hate jonas vocals and I can't for the life of me understand why.

I literally play Katatonia every day at some point and my GF, whilst knowing nearly all the words, still dislikes them. She is another who thinks they are boring and Jonas has an annoying voice.

I love Jonas vocals and do not understand why anyone, let alone a few people, would think they are boring. I have tried to interest people who are total metalheads through to people who like rock/pop etc and the same outcome.

Anyone else find this?

the same problem with my friends... the most of 'em think, that katatonia sound boring, although some do like a few songs... i think it's just because they have no relation to the songs and the lyrics. it seems as if asking people about katatonia and wanting them to listen to their songs is not successful... katatonia hits you on the moment! listening to it in a special moment of your life when you're feeling really depressed makes you addicted to this band, but not a friend, who wants you to listen to depressive music.

my boyfriend likes some katatonia songs, he thinks at least 5 of the songs he have heard is great and I think he has just heard 8-10 or something. and I say.. heeee listen to baaad music, not metalgenres but techno and fucked music I can't find names on hehe.. so I'm very proud of him ;p

most of my friends have never said anything bad of katatonia.. and some just likes a few songs

hm i suppose the girls like katatonia more than the boys ^^ that's just something i found out after showing them to some people.

I showed them to a few of my friends, some enjoyed them, some didn't and some liked only certain eras BMD,JEM etc.
I showed my girlfriend them a year ago or so and shes loved them and been a big fan ever since.

It’s the matter of taste basically. People listen to the music that suits their character, lifestyle, state of mind and so on. And if you’ve never been depressed/ dumped/ lonely, you probably have no slightest idea what the hell these guys are singing about. And this is naturally people don’t like what they don’t understand. For them it’s just as strange and annoying as for us Britney Spears or our beloved scapegoat Linkin Park. The other problem is that Katatonia music needs some time to get into, and most people I know just don’t get it a chance. They just listen to it once and then say “sorry, but I don’t like it”. And I have no desire to assure them that they will like it after four or five listens, because it’s pointless anyway. My boyfriend ended up with absolute love to Diabolical Masquerade, but he still dislikes Katatonia, what can I do? Change a boyfriend?

It´s a question of taste...people are different so I can understand if my friends don´t like Katatonia.
Moreover, as Aprilhäxan stated, you can´t appreciate a Katatonia songs at first listening....and people don´t have the patience to give them a try.
When I first listened to them I thought Brave Murder Day was much better than their new style...but then after a while I really began to appreciate them...so maybe I wouldn´t have got in into Kata if it wasn´t for a friend who insisted to say that they were so good...
I have very few friends who are into metal and they appreciate Katatonia, even if some are not big fans and think that they are ok, but not so fantastic..
The others don´t understand this kind of music, dont´like depressing lyrics and think that the songs sound all the same (and the lyrics are all about the same theme).
But most of the people said that Jonas has a really beautiful voice, so at least that was appreciated.
I´d like to share my passion for Kata with other people..but it seems difficult..I mean I sent to every of my friend the link to the video..thinking that this was more accessible and" commercial"..but no way, they refused to download it or didn´t even give it a chance...

I've played Katatonia to all the people I know. Most of them are fans now, or at least like them. Only one guy said "Give him a bottle of beer!He sounds like a child!" as he heard Jonas' voice...I should have played some of the old stuff to him;)

I played some Katatonia music for some friends of mine because I wanted to bring them for an upcoming Katatonia concert in Copenhagen. One of the guys liked the music the other one just said that they sounded just like "Creed"o_O

I just starred blank at him after he said that:OMG:

The other guitar player in my band likes em, and our drummer only likes the last 3-4 albums. He pays too much attention to the drums, and yeah, the drums on the earlier albums are monotoneous as fuck so he hates it... (I don't mind those drums at all I must say)
I also got my sister into Katatonia lol, she usually listens to Green Day, Offspring, Tatu, and all that kind of shit.
Actually, she now likes Anathema and Megadeth as well.

Other people didn't care about Katatonia.

Actually... I give a fuck what my friends think about the bands/music I listen to...

Of course all of them asked at least once what's up to that Kata-thing or what this name on any of my shirts means ... and since I hate having an argue about bands I love with my friends I started to say to them "Tell me in what mood you're right now, what's your fave song at the moment and I'll let you hear a few Kata-songs." ... or when I already know they would hate them I tell them that it's nothing of interest for them.

Those ones of my friends I asked to tell me something about their current situation and gave them something to listen to... they all loved it and one of them became a huge fan and tried to spread the Kata-virus through his own clique... but failed *shrugs*

Illnath said:
I played some Katatonia music for some friends of mine because I wanted to bring them for an upcoming Katatonia concert in Copenhagen. One of the guys liked the music the other one just said that they sounded just like "Creed"o_O

I just starred blank at him after he said that:OMG:

I was playing we must bury you and my girlfriend said they sound liked Nickleback! Fucking Bitch!

Cliche Kid said:
I was playing we must bury you and my girlfriend said they sound liked Nickleback! Fucking Bitch!
Though I can't hear any similarity to Nickelback [and I've got almost all of their stuff *lol*] ... ... how can you call your own girlfriend a "fucking bitch"???!!! HUH?! ... *graaah* go away -.-

Cliche Kid said:

That's no way to speak about your girlfriend.

And to answer your first post, nobody around here likes Katatonia, but that's because I live in this superchristian alt rock neighborhood.

My Best Friend likes Brave Murder Day.. Especially 12.. She hasn't heard the non doom/death metal stuff yet.

My other friend loves both, the new depressive hard rock sound and the old death metal sound.