Our Parents and Metal

Cat5Messiah

Violator of Sheep
Jan 21, 2003
Seattle/Tacoma (Browns Point), WA
www.myspace.com
So, what do your parents think of the music we all love to listen to and/or play?

For starters, I grew up around 80's metal. My mom was/is a singer and was in bands all throughout my childhood. Influences like Pat Benatar to Heart to Megadeth to Ozzy Osbourne to Slayer.

A couple years back, I got my mom into the less known metal amongst us Americans. She now enjoys Nightwish, Adagio, Evergrey and Opeth.

A couple years ago, I got Kim's (my best friend) mom into Bodom when we were headed to the Dream Theater/Queensryche/Fates Warning show.

My father, on the other hand, had a different taste in 'metal'. He is more into old school metal, of course, like Megadeth and Metallica. He is also into classic rock like Floyd, Sabbath, Zeppelin and Rush. Nowadays, he likes bands like Godsmack, System of a Down and Avenged Sevenfold. Why? Because he doesn't know better!

Just 20 minutes ago, I showed him a video on Youtube.com of Nick Barker (Dimmu Borgir). I then played some Dimmu for him. He then told me to burn him a couple Borgir CDs. Holy balls! My dad is into Dimmu!

How do your parents feel?

My mom likes some of the bands I listen to like Sabbath, Maiden, and Yngwie. She sings along whenever I play them. She said her favorite band back in the day was Kansas, but now her favorite is Ricky Martin :rolleyes: Actually I don't know if she still cares for him anymore, lol. She's been obsessed with Sabbath. My dad likes hard rock/metal bands like Guns N' Roses, Van Halen, and Metallica (The Black Album). But he's more into listening to whatever is on the radio... from Boston to Dr. Dre to Creed to Alanis Morrisett to Sting to Ace of Base to Phill Collins... :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: Whatever is on the radio. So they both like some metal, but not stuff like Bodom, though... nothing with screaming vocals.

My mom has been to a couple of Helloween and Nightwish concerts with me. She even did the horns:p

But that´s as metal as she gets. She´d never even consider anything like Bodom.

She grew up listening to Pink Floyd, Beatles and stuff.

:)

my dad once listened to Catch 33 and thought it was good.

Then on the other day, when he wasn't paying attention to other stuff and actually listened to the album, he thought it was boring :lol:

anyway, fuck this thread
seph, why aren't you on the BH forums? :lol::p

lol my mom thinks the music bodom makes is melodic, but whenever she hears alexi's voice shes like: Turn that shit off!!!

My mom doesn't like ANY of the music i listen. that is the main reason why i've got the attic... soundproof walls there ;). But i also like it here, it's the biggest room of the house, after my moms room then :p.

But she dislikes it in every way, although she's fine with it when i listen to it, she just doesnt understand why i like it. She is more into pop -_-'
Together with mij sisters and my little brother. Sometimes my elder sister even turns on Chips!! -_-
my little brother loooves black eyed peas, and my little sister is in to those rapper kind of music and pop as well. My dad doesn't live here, but he likes celtic once in a while. He hates the music i listen to as well... i don't mind though. As long as i'm still allowed to listen to it ;).

My mom doesn't like at all, metal is too much brutal to her. Tempo's too fast, instruments too agressive, and when comes the harsh voice... she can't do anything but turning the music off. Even me playing guitar annoys her badly, she can't stand the distorsion ^^

BUT recently, I dragged her at a metal show I played with my band and for the first time of my life she told me she enjoyed, as it was live. But she didn't stay for the other bands ^^.

And my father, he's the guy that doesn't care much about music, unable to keep a simple rythm or to sing a single right note :lol:

Avenged Sevenfold are a really good instrumental band i hate there image and there singer but the Guitar and Drums are Excellent.

amazing some of your parents actually listen to current stuff. My parents like music but more like beatles and elvis. They dont like my music but then they at least dont bitch 2 much about it, I get the "Its that fucked music you listen to fault" once in a while but when the situation cools down im back at it and they dont mind as long as they dont hear it.

In all fairness any type of current music puts them off, like anything on MTV they despise hehe so its all good.

my parents think that metal is bad for me... so i put as loud i was can...

and my mother was a hippie... but she liked shitty music

My parents arent into anything close to Metal... my dad will maybe know that Metallica is a band cause I had shirts, but wouldn't regognize their music. Same with my mom...

I'd like to share the interests on at least some bands I listen to... maybe they'd get into Folk metal, as they already appreciate the local Folk here.

My father likes maiden and metallica, so does my mom but their taste of music are pretty gay except maiden:p My mom listens to Brian Adam and I can't support that.

My dad is cool, he likes Metal and thinks its okay, if I play some of my cd´s in the living-room sometimes :)

My mom is different, she says, this "screaming-rubbish-music" makes her depressive :zombie: