Ours and Dredg Tour (Chicago for me)

Soundscape

Sep 16, 2002
Maplewood, MN
allmediareviews.blogspot.com
Anyone around here attending a show for this incredible double-bill? I will be flying into Chicago on Tuesday morning..then head down to the Metro around 6pm when the doors open. Ambulette opens, which is cool, although with the imposed all-ages curfew there it's disappointing since it'll likely cut into Ours normal set.

1st time in a few years Ours will have a full band.

Kyle

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that this is a "fly in" kind of show! (or that it would be posted about here.) I hadn't even planned on buying an advance ticket, but maybe it's a good thing that I did?

I'm there to see Dredg, but I downloaded some Ours and Ambulette to prepare. I was unimpressed by Ours's second album, but the first one seemed pretty good. A bit more of that Muse feel to it, and I didn't notice the borrowed melodies as much. Ambulette sounded great to me though, so hopefully I can make it there early enough to see some from them.

wow....Ours....now there's a name I haven't heard in a while.
I remember them from back in the days when I worked at CDNOW. We had set up a few things with them when the first release came out. Really cool guys and unbelievably talented. Jimmy Gnecco has the most phenominal voice. If ya can't guess...I'm a fan.
Although I'm kinda surprised seeing them mentioned in this forum (I used to describe them as a Jeff Buckley meets U2 thing), I'm glad it was cuz I didn't know they were touring.
I'll probably try to check out the DC show.

x-posted from PMX:2:

Saw this tour at the nearly full Metro last night, quite a step up from their last headlining show at the Bottom Lounge. Saw a Dream Theater shirt and a Katatonia shirt, but otherwise it was mostly a heavy indie-rock kind of crowd (though, ha, I suppose that's actually what the Katatonia shirt was part of too!) Lots of women too, although they may have been drawn more by Ours.

The main point to Ambulette is the lead singer/guitarist/keyboardist, Maura Davis. Perhaps the best female rock singer I've ever seen perform. I don't even know of anyone to compare her to, because she has a lot more intensity than all the girl-singers in the metal world. I'm sure she just stole her style from some female rock icon of the 70s, but since I don't know who any of those icons may be, I've got no problem with that. I kept thinking that when she *really* belted it out, she might start to lose it, but she never did. Impressive control. The three guys in the band are serviceable but essentially go unnoticed. They have a 5-song EP out, the highlight of which is "If You Go Away", apparently a song co-written by Jacques Brel that's been covered by everyone. I only mention that because it helped create the odd coincidence of me seeing to Jacques Brel songs performed by two different bands within a week (the Dreseden Dolls doing "Amsterdam" the week before).

Ours is another "band" where the singer/guitarist is the whole focus. But in contrast to the understated Davis, Jimmy Gnecco has apparently been told by a few too many people how great he is. Or, more importantly, he actually believes them. Whether it was his sideways old-school radio microphone needed to capture all the genius encapsulated in his voice, the roadie running his giant Rickenbacker out to him, or his black eyeliner and Robin Hood neckerchief, it all just made me want to smack him. The people in the crowd who kept shouting out "Jimmy!" (oddly, many of them were guys) didn't help either. All that stuff would be ok if the guy could back it up, but he really couldn't. Ok, you can do a falsetto. Great. So can Ace Young. Write better songs and put the voice to better use, and maybe I'll be interested.

Dredg was of course then quite a contrast to the two openers. Not in style, because it's probably a perfect tour lineup, but because Dredg is an actual band where all four guys carry the weight equally. Strangely when I saw them last year, I left with the impression that they could hold their own on arena stages, but this time I thought the Metro stage (hardly arena-sized) was a bit too much for them. Still, a pretty kickass show, and I came away again amazed at what great players they all are.

Neil

I saw Dredg last week at the Aghora (terrible venue) in Cleveland. When I saw them in Pittsburgh last year I ranked it as the 2nd best concert of my life. This show was great as well... though the sound wasn't nearly as good. Dredg is one of the greatest bands around now.

I agree with the posted review on Ours... pretty lame.

The opener with the female vocalist was pretty decent.