Novembers Doom play the Metro Oct 1st

"I guess you weren't at the Iced Earth/In Flames show back in 2003. Packed to the outer walls and all the way back to the bar."

No I didn't go to that show, but I've been to other shows much like you described. I highly doubt this show is going to draw those kinds of numbers, but who knows. Logically the best places for the vendors is either along those inside walls like I described, or if they use the balcony exclusively for vendors. Otherwise I don't see where else they're going to fit all these tables in the Metro. I really hope they're not all squeezed into the so-called downstairs lobby area, that's going to be a clusterfuck if so.

As for the camera, I think most digital cameras have video capability, as do alot of cell phones that take pics/video. You might still be able to get it in, especially if it doesn't film like full videos with sound and everything. I think they're really looking for people with videocameras and stuff and stopping them. Personally I wouldn't care if someone brought a videocamera to our shows, as long as they cleared it with us first. But the Metro is pretty tight about stuff like that.

Being that we're playing so early, I don't think we'll run too much risk of having our set cut, unless they foresee a real schedule problem early on in the day. I wish the show organisers the best of luck, because the way the schedule is set up, bands are going to have 0% margin for error in terms of going over with their set times and their set-up/tear-down times. (The approximate time in between each band for setup/teardown is about 8 minutes. That's being VERY hopeful on the fest organisers parts, given how easily equipment malfunctions occur, plus some of these bands use sequencers and other stuff that requires more than just walking up and simply plugging in your guitar or whatever.) The stage managers are going to have to be very dilligent about helping the bands get their shit up and off the stage quickly. I hope the staff/crew at this show are cool, because I can't tolerate when they treat you like garbage and yell and scream at you to get your shit off the stage, etc., like we've had to deal with at certain other metal fests.

I probably wouldn't have made that IE/IF show either had I not purchased a ticket in advance. That show ended up selling out. The small alcove (coat-check room?) in the foyer just inside the door is not going to suffice if there is going to be a large number of merch tables. I don't think I'd enjoy having the main floor area encircled with those tables either. That will probably diminish the show experience for the people who came to see and hear the bands.

As for the 8-minute setup/teardown schedule, that ought to be comical to watch. If this event is going to be professionally filmed, the film editors should speed up a few instances of a setup/teardown in progress...like in a Pantera vid. :D

wildfyr said:
I guess you weren't at the Iced Earth/In Flames show back in 2003. Packed to the outer walls and all the way back to the bar. :p

I was at that show, it was insane! I think the best part of the show was when the singer from Jag Panzer ripped his leather pants on stage, and had to play the rest of the set with an exposed thigh. Me and my friends had a good laugh at that one. Also Chris Broderick from Jag Panzer went to go stage dive after their set, but the crowd moved out of the way, and he fell on his face. OUCH that must have hurt like a bitch. And what is even more funny is I gave him a slap on the back when he ran by me in the crowd and told him "Good job!" :loco:

Yknow Vito, all of your heckling of bands while onstage and smart alec things like that are why you wind up breaking a string onstage at a gig in Toronto with no spare. Just bad karma man LOL

I don't really see why the tables along the wall in the main room would take away from the show. It'd basically be like most metalfests are set-up actually. Well anyhow, we'll be there in approximately 7 hours from now, and I'm still not in bed, heh. Better go.

Jasonic said:
So how was it?
What was your setlist? Sorry I couldn't make it.

The show was pretty good despite sound problems on stage. There was a bigger crowd than we expected there to be, so that was a plus. The staff at the metro were extremely awesome, making sure we had everything we wanted in the dressing room and all that good stuff. Our set list was The Pale Haunt Departure, Not the Strong, Dark World Burden, and In the Absence of Grace("the short version"). We cut out the 2nd verse in Absence to make sure we got to put that in the set.

BalanceofPower said:
The show was pretty good despite sound problems on stage. There was a bigger crowd than we expected there to be, so that was a plus. The staff at the metro were extremely awesome, making sure we had everything we wanted in the dressing room and all that good stuff. Our set list was The Pale Haunt Departure, Not the Strong, Dark World Burden, and In the Absence of Grace("the short version"). We cut out the 2nd verse in Absence to make sure we got to put that in the set.

Good set. I would have really kicked myself if you guys played anything from "The Knowing".

I have said it before, "Dark World Burden" is an amazing live track.
That is the track off the album that I think could really expose you guys to a larger audience.

So any plans for any other local shows?

The show was interesting to say the least. As vito mentioned, a much larger crowd that early in the afternoon then we expected, so it was certainly worth it. Had some sound issues on stage, Larry was the only person who could hear anything through the monitors, Brian had no sound coming out of the provided bass cabinet, so only the house speakers had bass coming through and he was 100% unable to hear himself, but despite all that, everyone said we sounded great.

Overall, it was a fun time, and I'm happy we played, even if it was so early.

Novembers Paul said:
The show was interesting to say the least. As vito mentioned, a much larger crowd that early in the afternoon then we expected, so it was certainly worth it. Had some sound issues on stage, Larry was the only person who could hear anything through the monitors, Brian had no sound coming out of the provided bass cabinet, so only the house speakers had bass coming through and he was 100% unable to hear himself, but despite all that, everyone said we sounded great.

Overall, it was a fun time, and I'm happy we played, even if it was so early.[/QUOTE

I thought the Metro workers who were being security and door people were being jerks. They were making lots of rude comments and just being pissed I think for having to work all day at such a hard job. I thought that it would have gotten more crowded as it got later but I think the largest drawing band seemd to be Leaves Eyes and Atrocity. Too bad they played around 5.
Too bad there were to many crappy metalcore/hardcore bands playing. Bummer about Nightrage not being able to play. There was that 45 minute break that they didnt do anything asides bring in Leaves Eyes gear when they could have had them play. I heard why they couldnt and it is horse do-do, to why they couldnt. The show seemd to move quick, unlike many all day shows. I was pissed about Macabre getting thier set cut real short. I knew it was going to happen since everyone started running late. Overall if they do this again they really need to make sure they stay away from more hardcore bands that NO one was getting into and book more metal acts.

I'll get some pics up today, waiting for the development now. I am not a professional or anything, I bought a disposable camera when I heard that cameras would be allowed. Would be nice if more shows/venues allowed this, I don't see the harm in it really! I thought your show was great, as well as Leaves' Eyes and Atrocity.

Tumn, can't wait to see the pics, even if they're just with a disposable camera. If anyone knows of anyone else who took pics of our set, please direct them our way, we'd love to see as many pics of this show as possible.

Diabolik, I agree with you a bit about the security. I didn't experience much trouble with them directly since I had my pass and all that, but I saw them giving alot of grief to other people. At one point I caught a group of them very loudly voicing their dislike for the kind of music that was being played that day. Metal has always been a bit of a black sheep up there on the North Side and at those venues, and always tends to be looked down upon it would seem. Ultimately I'm sure they'd prefer if it was 100% punk, alternative and whatever shoegazer "rock" that is credible that week, but whatever. The Metro decided to take the booking and those people are getting paid to do their jobs, they should shut up and just fucking do it. I've never been much of a fan of security, which is ironic since I'm a licensed security guard myself haha...

Honestly, I thought the show had a great lineup. I encourage it when it's a diverse bill of different heavy acts, not just all death metal, or all power metal, etc. Some people in this country just do not have the patience or the open minds I guess for such a show, this kind of billing seems to do better overseas.
Atrocity and Leaves Eyes were great, I loved it, albeit their sets being too short. Atrocity are one of my favorite bands of all time, so that was a real treat, plus they're nice people. Lilitu and Manntis were both excellent, they were both tight and full sounding and I think neither of them really got their just due from the crowd. Kataklysm were great too, one of the DM bands I really enjoy these days, and again, their set was much too short. I didn't want Nightrage or God Dethroned much, I wasn't overly impressed with either, though again I think they're solid bands at what they do, just not my thing (at least live, anyhow). Macabre got fucked with their set time, they took a long time getting the drums set up and that really screwed them.

Our set was a clusterfuck onstage basically. On my side of the stage I heard everything great, so I didn't have a hard time, but the rest of guys had an awful time. Brian said before we started that he couldnt hear anything from his bass. Finally I heard his bass coming through loud and clear and thought it was resolved, only to find out much later that what I was hearing was coming from my side monitors.....Brian had no bass volume on his side of the stage at all!! That really sucks, 'cause I thought he just meant his volume was too low, not that it was nonexistent altogether. Apparently they were having that problem all day, until finally they got the bright idea to discard the direct box (which I guess was the culprit of the bass problem) and just put a mic on the damn cabinet. The fact that they kept setting up and tearing down the drumset was ridiculous. I realise some drummers only use a single bass, or some use a double bass, but constantly taking away and re-adding the bass drum really defeated the purpose of having one kit for all drummers to share in order to save time!! Should've just left both kick drums up there the whole time and whoever only used a single kick, just don't use the other kick. It may be a different set up than they're used to but oh well, I'm sure they can adjust!

Anyhow, chalk it up to another interesting if not wholly satisfying gig for ND, but at least we got alot of compliments from people on our performance, and we got to finally play the Metro stage. Hopefully next time we do, it'll be on a higher profile gig that runs a bit smoother!

And thanks to Digger for inviting us to play and giving us the chance, we really appreciate it!

you guys shoul dreally try to get on some bills at the House of Blues. Christ, at the Therion show they had some third rate Milwaukee band opening that was just plain terrible and generic and so non professional and before Stratovarius they had some nu-metal band playing first, you guys would have been much more apprieciated than them there.

It seemed like they(metro workers) kept talking down to the metal fans. Sure about 60 percent of them are cavemen and not very bright but there are another percentage who are smart and can carry a conversation. They kept announcing over the intercom "attention metal heads..pizza is marked down" or "fans of metal" and they were doing it in a sarcastic tone. I guess we are not as cool since we dont listen to indie music or haivng Q101 tell me what to listen to.

Did NIGHTRAGE even play. The guy in Lilithu told me they didnt get to play and I was there at 2:15 and didnt see them at all. I know they were walking around pissed all day.

I was also bummed about the so called dealer booths.....Where was Nuclear Blast and Century Media? they were advertised at first benig there and so was BWBK. Oh well. It was still a decent day. I was planning on buying lots of stuff. Oh well.

Back to my main point...you guys really need to step up and try and get on bigger bills here in the city. Beats seeing Into Eternity open for every act and thenn lousy chicago bands. Same goes for Usurper. They need to play more.

Diabolik believe me we'd love to have played on shows like the Therion bill. Unfortunately what alot of you dont realise is that it's not all that easy to get on an opening slot at a place like House of Blues for a national headliner. You see some half-assed bands opening these shows and figure that it must be easier than it is to get that slot, sure. But it's not. Anyone who gets those slots are either personally invited to play by the show promoter, or they have some sort of personal/business connection with someone high up at the clubs, trust me. Think about some of the more professional, well known bands from Chicago....Usurper, Ion Vein, Twelfth Gate, us, etc., and you'll find that alot of times it's rare that any of those bands get the really good opening slots. It has nothing to do with talent or popularity, just who you know and knowing who to get through to in order to get the gig. Believe me we've been working on such things for a long time but it's harder than you realise. Plus it really helps when you have a record label pushing for those kinds of shows and connections for you, or a booking firm working for you, and frankly, we haven't been too lucky with any of that up to this point. So hopefully that'll change in the future for us, but for now, we just have to keep working on shit as best as we can and hope that the right door will open for us eventually to get these kinds of gigs.

Yeah Nightrage did play eventually. I don't know for certain but basically I had heard that they didn't show up to check in at the club until about an hour after they were scheduled to play, so initially the promoter said they had missed their slot, but then they worked it out so that the would play right before God Dethroned, and they both just played shorter sets in order to fit them in. It's not my business as to what went on there, but basically all the bands on that tour were told to be at the club at a certain time in order to prevent such things from happening, and they didnt show up at that time, meanwhile all the other bands from that tour showed up when they were supposed to (except Atrocity/Leaves Eyes who showed up a couple hours late due to their bus accident, but they still were there in plenty of time to play their alloted time slot).

I don't know what happened regarding the dealer booths. I was under the impression that there were to be more dealers there as well. Crash Music was present, and of course all the bands playing had their merch areas set up and stuff. The promoter had alot of cancellations and shit come up at the last minute, which just goes to show you that setting up these "metalfests" is alot harder than alot of people think it is to organize and have run smoothly. Sometimes these promoters fuck themselves I agree but alot of times it doesn't take much for other people to wind up fucking shit up for you as well. Anyhow, I agree I wish there had been more vendors there, not that I had any money to spend on anything!!

Sounds like an interesting day indeed.
Chicago has always been a strange place for local metal bands.
I don't even think many people are even aware that Novembers Doom, Usurper, the Chasm, Kataklysm, etc are even local.

In the punk scene, it seems completely opposite. Most local bands play WAY too much, making each show not that special. If you miss one gig, you know there are 5 more lined up.

It is cool with metal shows, because each gig is indeed special.

Did that band Bury Your Dead play? I think they were one of the band's involved in the now legendary Ozzfest IRON MAIDEN egging.

That's awesome you guys got to play the Metro. That was the one place in Chicago i wanted to play but didn't get to.

Also, hearing "Attention fans of metal..." and seeing all these long haired doodz look around bewilderedly would instantaneously make me crack up.

Here are the only 3 photos that developed! I don't care if you guys take them and post them where ever, doesn't matter to me. They might load slow if you are on dial-up.

nd1.jpg

nd3.jpg

nd2.jpg

Also, thanks for the free shirt, I wore it today! Was cool of you guys to have them given out to the first few people.