Novembers Doom play the Metro Oct 1st

Thanks alot for the pics Tumn! A shame that only three came out but that's still three more than we had! And you're welcome for the shirt, we wished we'd had more to give away to people but we spared all that we could.

chupe666 said:
That's awesome you guys got to play the Metro. That was the one place in Chicago i wanted to play but didn't get to.

Also, hearing "Attention fans of metal..." and seeing all these long haired doodz look around bewilderedly would instantaneously make me crack up.

Metro was cool. It was great to finaally play there.

As far as the long haired metal dudes... We're a dying breed. Most guys looked like you. :D

That's true Jason, we don't have a set stage positioning for us (well besides Paul and Joe for obvious reasons). Usually we try to put Brian and I on opposite sides of the stage though because with all the hair flailing around, accidents can happen lol Vito isn't quite the hair-whipper that I tend to be, so it's usually better for Brian to be on his side.
Alot of times what dictates our positioning depends on the backline of amps. In the case of this gig, we were using cabinets provided by the venue which were already set up in a certain way, so thats why we stood where we did.

Really boring shit, I know, but since it was mentioned, I explained. Fuck it.

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
That's true Jason, we don't have a set stage positioning for us (well besides Paul and Joe for obvious reasons). Usually we try to put Brian and I on opposite sides of the stage though because with all the hair flailing around, accidents can happen lol Vito isn't quite the hair-whipper that I tend to be, so it's usually better for Brian to be on his side.
Alot of times what dictates our positioning depends on the backline of amps. In the case of this gig, we were using cabinets provided by the venue which were already set up in a certain way, so thats why we stood where we did.

Really boring shit, I know, but since it was mentioned, I explained. Fuck it.

Larry just likes to hog all the attention on stage. That's why he makes sure he has the most space on stage. He's a stage nazi! :D BOO-YAH!

No I just like to actually move around, interact with the crowd, sing, etc. I try to be interesting to watch, which explains why I'm in the music video so much and you're not........BAM!!!! Take that, beotch!! :D

All in good fun, folks ;)

Larry - I don't find that kind of stuff boring.
I am a dork, and notice stuff like that when bands are on stage.
You are the Scott Ian of Novembers Doom, and demand full attention on stage!!! :)

How appropriate, a new ND video, in NOVEMBER!
Can you reveal the track? Can I guess?
If I had to bet, I would say either Dark World Burden or Autumn Reflection.

Next video needs more Vito! Everyone knows that northwest suburban guys are THE SEXY!

I know how booking shows and getting on shows work, i have been freinds with Jasonic for years now and we both were involved in the punk scene for many years in the 90's and have worked behind the scenes at shows. I am surprised that labels like THE END, EARACHE and other labels are not trying to get thier bands on bigger bills to help album sales. I am sure there are tons of people out there who havent heard of Novembers Doom/Usurper or THE CHASM and would love them but just havent picked up a CD or seen any of the bands live yet. People now a days are very lazy with getting into new bands. It is almost like you have to be told this band is great before anyone will buy any of thier disc.

Like Jason said, in the punk scene there are so many local shows that if you missed a band play you could wait a week and see them again. My only problem with metal shows is that the bands are way to into making sure they have big entrances and back drops. Just come out and play for crying out loud. I understand bands want some sort of ambience but if it is slowing down the show......then stop! Helloween came out to no stage show and no huge light show and just played the songs everyone wanted to hear and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. That is how you judge a grat band. Last year or the year before that Jason and I saw Kataklysm at Bottom Lounge in the late afternoon...there was no one there and they were screwing around with these stage banners....no one gave a rats ass about them, just play. Why waste stage time for a few banners with the bands logo on it. We all know who is playing.

Maybe once the new Bottom Lounge opens up next year there will be more local metal shows to go to.

I see this from both sides. On the side of a fan, yes, I would rather see a band play 2 more songs then them use the time to set up a logo banner, but on the side of a performing band, the overall appearance is important to the show. Bands are a dime a dozen in the metal scene, and bands like to have something a bit extra, to show a bit more professionalism, and stand out from the other guy. It's also important to some bands, that every show is equally good as the last, so consistancy is important to them. For many years, we never cared about our stage appearance, what we wore, or how we acted on stage, and when we started to put all that together, we became more aware of peoples reactions to us. People like to see the professional side of a band. When someone is going to plunk down money to see you, you need to give them a full show. The visual is just as important as the music. It's the same concept as CD artwork. It's all part of the package, and it's all equally important.

Now, that being said... Bottom lounge in the afternoon, setting up a banner for 6 people... Yeah, maybe a bit overkill. Still though, you remembered it, so it worked.

I agree with Paul. I understand the whole point of not letting a giant stage show interfere with the show itself, or spending more time setting up backdrops than playing actual music. But presentation is important. For example you look at all the new metalcore/hardcore type bands out there. I've been to shows and fests where at least several of those bands are playing, and I can't tell you how many times I looked up at the stage and couldn't figure out who the fuck was on. So many bands, like Paul said, are just a dime a dozen nowadays, and having some extra presentation really helps. I can appreciate the punk asthetic, the whole "walk on stage and play as you are" mentality, but metal has always been (to me) about more than just playing. When I saw Maiden in the 80s I didn't want to see them in their blue jeans and tattered t-shirts, on a bare stage. The stage show and the backdrops and what they wore and how they moved was all as much a part of the package as the music and performance. Even the punk bands I grew up really liking, like the Ramones and the Misfits, had a defnite image. You'd walk into the Aragon ballroom and see that fucking Ramones banner behind the stage and it made you smile, man, it is a symbol of a great band and having it there just adds something. People can call this art, they can talk about underground chic and being street and all that. This is fucking showbuisness plain and simple. If you come to the show and don't give a shit about our backdrops and lights and shit, awesome, then listen to the music and watch the band and focus on that. But for those like me who want to see something a bit more, I personally would like to have more of a stage presentation than we have right now, actually. Because also the bottom line is, I like seeing our banner hanging behind us when we play, and I like dressing a certain way when I walk on stage, so as long as that is what I want to do then that's how I'm gonna do it. If a portion of the crowd frowns upon it or thinks its too cheesy for them, fuck 'em. That's just honestly how I feel about it.

As for the whole booking shows thing, there's just so many politics to the whole thing it's crazy. Alot of record labels don't really bother with stuff like trying to get their bands on one-off shows, like getting us on the Opeth or Therion show at the House Of Blues here. The label's feel that the band should be working on making that happen themselves, except that many times these venues won't deal with a band directly without some sort of representation from their label....so you see it's kind of a catch-22 situation. And getting an opening slot for a whole tour or part of a tour usually involves alot of shit as well, particularly money, because many of these slots are now "buy ons", where the label has to pay the booking agency a fee in order to get the band on the tour. Fans so often sit there and look at a tour bill and say "Man why the fuck are those bands opening for so-and-so? They don't fit on the bill! Who thought they'd fit good together, the headliners?" Honestly, it's all about money. Money and connections. If a record label wants to get a band out on tour badly enough, and an opening comes along on any decent tour, they'll bid for the slot for their band, and if they make the top paying bid, their band gets the tour. I won't name names but think about a few of the more happening "underground" tours that've come along in the past couple of years, and think about how some of the opening bands seemed to be very "odd" in terms of fitting on the bill. I can almost guarantee you it's because they had the financial backing and push to get on that bill, having absolutely nothing to do with the promoter trying to put together a "good cohesive musical chemistry" for the lineup of the tour.

Point is, bands like ourselves and others around our similar status don't have the money or the push to get on these killer tours and shows, no matter how much we might "fit in" on the bill. Our label works hard for us and does what they can but it's a tough business with alot of competition these days, and in some respects we're lucky with some of the breaks we've actually gotten over the years.
As simple and cheesy as it might sound, the one thing that people can do to really help us change this situation is to directly support the band by buying our cds and t-shirts, spreading the word on forums like this one and others, and just helping to put our name out there on as many people's lips as possible. Showing up to our shows when we come to town is so ridiculously important as well, because it sure doesn't get us much headway and attention when we travel to a place like New York and play for 35 people, or we play a good venue in Chicago and 20 people show up. We can easily understand people's priorities and stuff that prevents them from being able to come out, but the mentality of "I'll catch 'em next time" is a tricky one, because it's not that crazy to consider that there truly might never BE a next time, especially in a position like ours.

I see both sides of this too.

On one hand, Diabolik is right. Some of the best performances of bands (including Novembers Doom) are those shows where the band just gets up there and rips!! Probably the best example I can recall of this was when I saw Manowar at Riley's Rock House. Obviously, no motorcycles or pyro or huge lighting rigs that Manowar are known for. Just a kick ass 2 hour set of Manowar classics!

Though on the other hand, I see Larry's point. Sometimes you go to these shows with 10 bands or more, and you can barely tell them apart. A good example would be the show this summer in Wheaton that Rob (Twelfth Gate) put on. Out of all the bands that I didn't already know before, the only one to leave a lasting impression was Withering Soul, due to their image.

I believe that metal has always been about image. Look at all the footage of the NWOBHM bands in the early 80's. Bands like Saxon, Maiden, Diamond Head, etc. Everyone knows they started out in small pubs in England, but still, once they made promotional material, they made flashy videos showing them play in big arenas with big lights.

Diabolik - I think sometimes it is easier for me and you to say "Why the hell don't they get up there and play?" since we have seen so many bands play in front of 10 people at 2AM with no stage show, and it was still a great performance.

I know in almost every band I have been in , we did something different to try and stand out.

I really like Novembers Doom's live show. You guys come out with all guns blazing. Maybe next show, you should have a life-sized scarecrow come out on stage to fight with the band members! You can put either Diabolik or I on stilts! (neither of us are very tall).

professionalism is a very important part of being on stage. Nothing is worse than seeing a band come out half assed on stage and not being ready or taking long breaks between songs. Macabre is a great band but live they waste so much time between songs. There is a thing called "pace". If you have it dont loose it. I have seen some great bands play live but they end up not being good live bands because the havent fine tuned thier live set. Seeing a backdrop is always cool but in a situation where time is important, you need to drop things that are going to slow down your set.

The worst thing I see bands do live is have inside jokes that only thier close freinds get or just the band. That kills me live. Nothing is worse than unfunny people.

I guess everyone will have thier on opinion on what makes a good live show. I think that most promoters really dont know Jack about who people want to see. I know that you cant always have your dream show or line up, but if you are booking shows or setting up a fest, you should at least scan a few boards online to see who people are into. It seems that they book two decent bands and fill the rest up with crap. The Kreator/Vader tour earlier this year was a mess due to that. They added like 8 bands to the show. I got there really late and I was still stuck seeing two of the opening acts. No one asides the bands and a few freinds were there. When will promoters realize that it just brings the whole show down by having these long shows filled with junk. The Metal Gods Tour was a great example of a great package tour. Great mix of bands from Testament, Immortal, Behemoth, Primal Fear, halford, and Carnal Forge. Not all the bands are the greatest but you have a great mix.

Funny how some promoters never learn.
*coughJackKoshickcough*

I think with Macabre, the story telling is part of the gimmick.
Let's face it, if Macabre just did a straight through set of their songs, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart from any run of the mill midwest death metal band.

Macabre has their mass murderer tales.
Novembers Doom have their good looks!
It's all about image baby!!!!

I think a 7 foot tall mechanical Scarecrow would rule!

Sometimes subtle stage props go over in a big way.

Mercyful Fate stage shows were cool, with a couple candleabras.

Video screens are a nice effect too.