Overkill Japan

Metalliced

Oct 26, 2012
Portland, ME
www.facebook.com
There are these new 2013 SHM CD Remastered Japanese editions popping up everywhere all of a sudden. Anybody know anything about these, other than the obvious? Who's got 'em?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Over-2013-Remastered-SHM-CD/dp/B00CKUD168/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1368197994&sr=1-6&keywords=overkill+taking+over"]Taking Over[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Years-Decay-Remastered-Edition-SHM-CD/dp/B00CKUXQJU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2JRJ7IXBDB2K2&coliid=I1C2OHAH8BQHJQ"]Years Of Decay[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Under-Influence-2013-Remastered-SHM-CD/dp/B00CKUPOUY/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1368198297&sr=1-3&keywords=overkill+under+the+influence"]Under The Influence[/ame]

SHM's are questionably remastered. I have to go check a few that i bought, but i remember nothing special or updated. I think I got the Def Lep ones and was pretty pissed to find none of the early stuff different than what I already owned.

Actually the more I investigate these SHMCD 'remasters', the more I'm realizing that all it is, is a technique that is used to make shitty CD players sound better. These SHM discs are made in such a way, that the laser part of the player lines up with the discs better (due to a much higher bit depth/resolution within the disc itself), and auto corrects any misalignment with the disc surface. That is all. The Metallica SHMCD's are a good example of using this new format. Technically speaking, they are remastered, but the audio source is exactly the same as those '06 remasters, and there is no noticeable difference.

Basically, if you have a good CD player, they don't sound any different. And you don't need these discs. Chalk one up for Japan (the inventors of the SHM format) though, for coming up with new and exciting ways to try and extract more money from Metal geeks like myself! I almost bought in to it!:headbang:

Really now? I always figured remasters of those albums were a lost cause since Blitz seemed to be against it. Then again, that was at least 10 years ago when that question was asked...

Any chance of getting a listen to the song Head First?

Really now? I always figured remasters of those albums were a lost cause since Blitz seemed to be against it. Then again, that was at least 10 years ago when that question was asked...

Any chance of getting a listen to the song Head First?

Unfortunately for Blitz, but fortunate for us fans, the record labels who own the rights to his music don't care what he's against :fu:. If he truly cares he should want these albums to be remastered and reissued. soon enough, It's really the only way people are going to be able to get them at all. First pressings of "Taking Over" are gone, and "Under The Influence" & "The Years Of Decay" are not far behind. The only reason there are still copies of "Influence" and "Decay" is because those were the only two of the three that were actually pressed twice. Once when the albums were originally released and licensed by Atlantic from Megaforce Records (due to a distribution deal the two labels had), and then re-pressed by Atlantic when the band signed to that label full time, in 1990.

Just a couple weeks ago, I bought copies of all three albums because I knew the originals would soon be gone. So, what happened next? Yup, literally within days of getting these CD's in the mail I saw that they were just re-released by WEA Records Japan:lol:!

Guys:

I have purchased all 3 Overkill 2013 JAP Remastered SHMs & The 2014 JAP Remasters of Horrorscope & WFO. They are indeed remastered and sound fantastic! I also have the 2013 Metal Church JAP Remasters of their first 3CDs and Testaments first 6 JAP Remasters 2011-2013. They are all remastered by WEA / Tower Records. Anyone wanting to hear them, I have them posted on Freehardmusic.com.

Cheers!:Smokedev:

Guys:

I have purchased all 3 Overkill 2013 JAP Remastered SHMs & The 2014 JAP Remasters of Horrorscope & WFO. They are indeed remastered and sound fantastic! I also have the 2013 Metal Church JAP Remasters of their first 3CDs and Testaments first 6 JAP Remasters 2011-2013. They are all remastered by WEA / Tower Records. Anyone wanting to hear them, I have them posted on Freehardmusic.com.

Cheers!:Smokedev:

where did you get them? the Overkill's appear to be sold out already.

What a trip this is, I just discovered these Overkill remasteres from a blog I goto to download random stuff. Wow! I can’t believe I never knew these existed. Taking Over, Years of Decay and Under The Influence all sound great! Since I couldn’t find the rest for download… I splurged and bought the Horrorscope and WFO SHM remasters on ebay.

I’m also seeing there is Testament ones too?! What is the deal with these ones? Same thing as above, I splurged and bought Souls of Black and Practice What You Preach on ebay. I was able to download the New Order and Ritual SHM cd’s and boy are these things hit or miss. Both are barely that much different than the standard US pressings. I noticed New Order and Ritual came out in 2011 and Souls of Black and Practice have the same 2013 label that the Overkill ones have, so I’m hoping those sound as good as the Overkill ones.

Aside from Metal Church, are there any other of these thrash metal remasters floating out there?