Overkill & Viggen weekend !

carnut

\m/
Apr 29, 2004
Helgium
This weekend Hawk dropped by again and we visited some shows...First one on Friday was Overkill in a local metal club called "Biebob". Already existing as long as Overkill this club brings some of the finest metal to me at a 30 minute drive...Openers for Overkill were 10 fold be low and Contradiction...What to say ? We were very bored, both bands were absolutely not worth playing before Overkill. Opening for Overkill must be a METAL band, not some thrash/nu-metal crossover style... second band got some "yeah" cheering when they announced to do their last song. Enough said, we came for Overkill !! This was the first gig of their European tour, but they were smouth as hell, ofcourse warmed up by their USA tour...This band has a large discography to choose from and indeed they got out their best stuff, skipping the 90's a bit ;) Bobby's voice was really outstanding and the rest of the band plays super proffesional. Their latest album is a classic to me and was good promoted on this concert.(damn , don't ask me for song names, I'm lucky to be able to remember my kids names)....old songs were ofcourse the classics; fuck you, rotten to the core, wrecking crew,....Killer concert, killer band. Overkill still rules, after 20 years !!
On Saturday we experimented a bit with digitising some rare vinyl. Hawk brought NWOBHM Vardis album "100MPH" with him and I guess we have now the first digital version available (go check it SS users :).
In the evening we went to a small club were 3 bands played (same club were earlier this year I saw Brocas Helm). Opener was Gorlab, a very young and unexpierenced band which on top had some songs with a very boring "gothic" female vocalist...They told they were searching for a vocalist more fitted to their thrash style of music, so I'm gonna give them some credit before I tear them down :D
Next up was Viggen, who? ...VIGGEN !!!!! Now remember this name!!!
What the fuck, never heard of this Belgian band and they blew both Hawk and me away. Pure bay area thrash, a bit more technical, but this band was super solid and man o man, we have a good vocalist in Belgium !!! Growling to high pitch and everything in between. This sounded like a pure 80's US thrash band. One cover was a brilliantly played "Angel of Death" from Slayer. All other songs were of their own , I just ordered their demo and will let you guys know how that is... Only downside was there were very little guitar solo's, and I'm sure these guys would have no problem throwing some in !But as we call it here, that was "ant-fucking" (too little problem to worry about)..
Last up was Chainsaw...A self claimed "oldschool" style metal band, and you can expect it , they are NOT. The music was poor, vocals far below acceptable, and look, swinging around a chainsaw and pooring some blood over you head wasn't the only thing in the 80's, we god damned had music to come with it back than!! Unbelievable how some public kept on banging on them (was this all family or so?). Like a friend of me told; they must have told lots of yough run-along Black Metal kids that these were the roots of it all, man are they wrong to belive this shit... I felt pretty relieved when they were finished. Hell, these guys even thought they were so good themselves they played the last song 6 times or so (or could have been different ones, hard to notice). After the show I introduced Hawk to some of my oldschool mates and before we knew, it was early morning. Jumped into bed and a few houres ago I kicked Hawk back into Holland :D
Good weekend, Overkill & Viggen ruled !