Own Pictures Thread

Anyway, just to render Crzy_Aus and Ensi's argument totally pointless: I'm not an the Oxford University everyone knows about. I'm at Oxford Brookes University, which isn't as notoriously hard to get into as Oxford University. But to be honest I prefer it, Brookes isn't stuck in the past like Oxford Uni, it's actually modern, the campuses are seriously hi-tec, our rooms are huge, we get our own bus service with leather seats and TVs. Not to mention the fact that overall the History department at Brookes has actually performed better than the Oxford Uni History department for the past couple years. I still had to get two A's and a B at A-level to get into this course though so while it's not "prestigious" it certainly wasn't easy to get into.

I'm so jealous :p I go to the University of Wolverhampton, which is one of the few places I could find where they teach computer games design. The university is pretty bad, but we have out own bus route too :lol:

I'm so jealous :p I go to the University of Wolverhampton, which is one of the few places I could find where they teach computer games design. The university is pretty bad, but we have out own bus route too :lol:

Game design? So are you gonna be the guy who angry fanboys cuss at on the internetz when you grow up? :lol:

Also, how about getting a useful one instead of a prestigious one? :rolleyes:

And what about getting a useful and prestigious one? In an ideal world all degrees should be the same, but they are not. And while some times prestigious means nothing, in quite a lot it does. E.g. if by some chance one day I (I'm studying translation) apply for a job and someone else with similar grades to me but who has studied in Heidelberg (Germany) applies too, he's getting the job. Why? Because Heidelberg's top at teaching translation, and my uni (UJI: Universitat Jaume I of Castellon) is good but far away from Heidelberg in status. Ofc if I show up with an average grade of 9 and speaking 10 languages and the Heidelberg guy has average 6 and speaks just german and english I'm getting it, but that's just common sense.

Tl;dr: Prestigious doesn't automatically mean crap, it actually has nothing to do with that most of times.

:lol: How awesome would that be!

I don't live there, but the language school I've attended my whole life is called Essex school so I've always wanted to go there. I hopefully will in the near future.

I'm not sure where Essex is, but the "sex" part of it is pretty awesome :lol:

I've gotten that joke like a million times while I was in school. You know how kids get all "OMG" when word sex pops, right? I frankly got sick of it :lol:

And what about getting a useful and prestigious one? In an ideal world all degrees should be the same, but they are not. And while some times prestigious means nothing, in quite a lot it does. E.g. if by some chance one day I (I'm studying translation) apply for a job and someone else with similar grades to me but who has studied in Heidelberg (Germany) applies too, he's getting the job. Why? Because Heidelberg's top at teaching translation, and my uni (UJI: Universitat Jaume I of Castellon) is good but far away from Heidelberg in status. Ofc if I show up with an average grade of 9 and speaking 10 languages and the Heidelberg guy has average 6 and speaks just german and english I'm getting it, but that's just common sense.

Well, that's true. But, just as you noted, skill comes first.

I've gotten that joke like a million times while I was in school. You know how kids get all "OMG" when word sex pops, right? I frankly got sick of it :lol:

I bet you would :lol:

^Yep skill goes first, but it's handy to get it from a prestigious uni too. Not that it's basic though.

@vitorias123: Kinda, but not what I was going for :) I meant that in which uni you've studied does mean quite a bit sometimes. But yeah, Bologna process is big shit here in Spain. For starters I'm the last batch of not-bolgna translators at my uni, so we're only getting lessons at one per year. Which means that if you fail one you won't have lessons for that the next year, but more important: if I go on an erasmus scholarship next year, when I'm back I won't have any of the lessons for the 3rd year, I'll have to study all by myself. And you may think "no big deal, just study and go to the exam", but here's the thing:

3rd year means we start interpreting (easy explaination: A knows russian, B knows german, I know both russian and german, so I stand in between and translate to them what the other says), how the fuck am I suposed to study interpreting by myself? 4th year's the same, so to sum it up, I'm fucked. I've dreamed about the erasmus scholarship for a long time, but looks like I'll have to skip that. I'm really really pissed at that.

I love Bologne.Few years ago,my book in analytical chemistry had 2200 pages(without practices) and I could have 3 months to learn that book.Nowadays,thanx to Bologne,I have 800 pages "only''.Most of my professors are complaining abt Bologne,but students mostly like it,cause we have much less for studying eventhough we are spending abt 12 or 13 hours at uni every day.
+I was sarcastic,no way that my Uni in Belgrade could have the same reputation like some prestigious uni In England.

3rd year means we start interpreting (easy explaination: A knows russian, B knows german, I know both russian and german, so I stand in between and translate to them what the other says), how the fuck am I suposed to study interpreting by myself? 4th year's the same, so to sum it up, I'm fucked. I've dreamed about the erasmus scholarship for a long time, but looks like I'll have to skip that. I'm really really pissed at that.

Interpreting? What the heck are you studying?

I've always loved learning languages, but technical translations and all suck balls. Interpreting isn't quite as bad if you know the languages reasonably well.