Pack for 7-String suggestion

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
I've been a GHS Boomer user for a long time. On my 7 string, I put their 10-46-60 strings. I like their sound and how they feel.

What I don't like, is that I feel they don't stay bright very long. They are relatively unexpensive, so in a sense, changing them often is not economically speaking, a "burden". But changing strings is not my favorite hobby and therefore, I'm slowly wondering if I should try something new. If I could find something that has a similar feel, and a similar tone, but last longer, that'd be great.

I play in standard B tuning on my 7 string, and I feel the 60 size 7th string is boderline big enough. I wouldn't mind increasing to 62s or something in that range.

I'd try D'Addario, but I really don't get why they provide only packs with 59s. I don't know anyone who plays with 59s in B tuning.

Finally, I should say that I'm not into building custom packs of strings, or something.... I very much prefer just buying a pack of 7 strings that fit all my needs.

I really like the D'Addario NYXL 11-64 7 string set. I've been using those for a little while now and they keep their new bright sound for quite a while. I was using the Ernie Ball Power Slinky 7 set for several months but I prefer the feel of the NYXL.

I really like the D'Addario NYXL 11-64 7 string set. I've been using those for a little while now and they keep their new bright sound for quite a while. I was using the Ernie Ball Power Slinky 7 set for several months but I prefer the feel of the NYXL.
Ya I have heard a lot of good comments on the NYXL, however using bigger 11+ gauges is a bit too much for me. I'm more of a lead guitarist and these are too big.

Sucks that their pack with 10-46 seem to only come with 59s as the 7th string. At least not that I was able to find.

And like you, I am not a fan of the feel from the Ernie Ball strings.

heard only good stuff about the cobalt strings, did not had the chance to test them yet.
right now i am using the 10-59 daddario set but the low B is definitively a too loose, especially for drop A.

i've ordered a bunch of wired guitarist strings but also did not have any time to test them properly.
there is no gauge information on these packs just something like regulat and heavy 7.

btw i've used the GHS boomers for quite some time and i can agree, they go from fresh to dull like in two days wtf!?

The cobalts are my second favorite strings but from my experience they do have a bit of a rough feel. They sound great tough! My favorite strings right now are D'Addario NYXLs, I purchase the 6 string balanced tension sets and individual 7th strings, which makes it easy to choose a good gauge that will not be too floppy. To be specific I play in B standard on a 25.5" scale length guitar using the regular light balanced tension set with a .062 for the 7th string. They are more on the expensive side for sure however they do hold up their tone well, especially when cleaned after every use. In comparison the cobalts lost their tone really fast each time.

I recently bought JustStrings bulk sets, and really enjoy them. I think Ernie ball and Dunlop brights are my favorites, but JustStrings are a close second and massively cheaper/customizable.

Hmmm I’ve had a pack of Boomers laying around that I was gonna throw on my 7 but now I’m second guessing it.

Anyone ever try these? Apparently they “won’t break or rust”, or you get a replacement set for free.

793CE853-6113-4AAB-9B6A-32D2EA83B993.jpeg