Pagan Metal

i think Rodovest is the correct translation. both bands, Rodovest and Rodosvet exist
Yeah ofcourse you are right, Родосвет = Rodosvet. I have only heard Rodosvet so didn't read too good and jumped to conclusions. :p

The Vikings were a pagan culture. So were the Celts. That was how they began, and those traditions, rituals and beliefs are what is reflected in all the bands we're talking about.

That said, I don't think anyone's mentioned Korpiklaani; great pagan folk metal (and awesome for drinking to).

Eluveitie are also good.
Kiuas kick ass (although I think they're more power metal with pagan/heathen subject matter)

Primordial are one of the best metal bands around today, but I don't know if I'd actually call them pagan metal... but why are we actually getting so specific in the genre definitions? I mean, all these bands listen to one another and just play what they enjoy. Each one has its own distinct characteristics. Personally, I think you could argue that all of these bands are Pagan metal.

I know that Ensiferum, Turisas, Moonsorrow, etc. all have a specific sound that seems to be what people are leaning towards.

But as long as we're speaking of pagan subject matter, what about Amorphis?

Ordered the Eastern Hammer split yesterday, anyone heard it yet? Someone has probably commented on them on some other thread but I can't be bothered to check because it is after all pagan metal and should be discussed here? ;)

It is indeed really good. I don't think I can say anything bad about any of the songs on the split.

Indeed. It's worth it for the Nokturnal Mortem song alone. Absolutely excellent split overall, really damned good.

I thought everything was great except the north track. Did yours come without a jewel case?

Yeah, it came with a jewel case. I actually like the North track; nothing special, and it doesn't really fit in with the other songs, but it's decent. "Kolyada" has grown on me a little, but it still seems kind of pointless considering the greatness of the original.

Yeah, it came with a jewel case. I actually like the North track; nothing special, and it doesn't really fit in with the other songs, but it's decent. "Kolyada" has grown on me a little, but it still seems kind of pointless considering the greatness of the original.
Heh, I kinda agree with you know. The more I have listened to it the more I realized that the original is just better and as you said, it makes the remake kinda pointless.

Ensiferum has alot of good songs,so does korpiklaani they're a happy bunch if you listen to theire lyrics :-D

For ensiferum check out theire songs entitled;
Guardians of Fate / Old Man / Goblins Dance / Tale of Revenge /Lai Lai Hei and some others,they do have a song or two that's "cheesy" without any hard vocals but those are mainly the 1.30 minute intro's :p

(Woot going to see them at Pagan fest 04/04 in Belgium!)

If you dig Moonsorrow, you'll like Finntroll. Members from Moonsorrow play in Finntroll. Their style is more folk/humpaa metal than symphonic, but they fuckin' rock.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=161265285

Also, here's Korpiklaani's myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/korpiklaaniofficial

i can't stand these two bands. they have no depth for me, no spirit. cheesy plastic folk metal with lots of sweet melodies. they are so overhyped here in germany, it's disgusting. the same goes for Turisas and Ensiferum, although Ensiferum had few decent songs on their debut album, like 'Eternal Wait'

What's the difference between new and old Ensiferum? I like both equally, and though I only heard two songs off the new one (it was great) I can't see a huge change. There is a lot of energy and "spirit" still there in the new stuff, and Ensiferum never had much depth anyway.