Pagans Mind = OFF

Couldn't disagree anymore. Where were you? I was practically front and center and they got one of the better receptions of the day. I mean I haven't seen them before, so it's very possible they might not be as great as they had been before, but that's usually how it goes with bands. The first time is the best and it's usually not the same.

As for Circus Maximus stealing the show (I'm sure I'll get flak for this) but I just don't "get" them. Between the music and the boring vocalist, I do not get the appeal. They've been described a mix of power and prog, which sounded cool but when I've listened to them from studio tracks and in this performance all I see is prog and very boring prog. Keep in mind, I actually prefer prog to power. I dunno. Maybe it's just a taste thing, but I thought of the entire fest they were the worst.

I'll admit that I'm not a huge Circus Maximus fan, but they were one of the tightest bands of the weekend. My favorite song (it could just be a section of the song, I don't really know their material) was when the singer left the stage and they played 5-6 minutes of instrumental material. They were extremely polished and I was very impressed with their musical ability. So, I could see how they might steal the show if you're a fan of their stuff, but I'm in the same boat... it's not really my taste. Maybe they'll grow on me.

Regardless of any criticism, I loved the entire weekend. Of course it was my first time, so maybe I was just excited to be there. I think I also lost a lot of brain cells banging my head. :headbang:

I have seen them all 3 Progpowers. They always deliver the best songs and the best performance. They are in a league of their own. They would have been a MAJOR headliner act in the 80's. Too bad the youth of this country are led by their noses to listen to garbage. Thanks again for being awesome Pagans Mind ! Stian , you are my favorite prog metal drummer. Your use of space in your drum parts is beyond the comprehension of most listeners but being a drummer I really appreciate how you play.You guys are awesome and write awesome music. Hope you come back as the headliner next time !

Wow I thought Pagan's Mind was spot on!! Everyone around me on the floor was headbanging away!! Killer Set as usual!
Circus Maximus was cool, but the vocals got a bit pitchy dog...
Brainstorm was a just a wee bit flat but they were still killer... And Fates Ruled the Universe!

But all in all one of the greatest nights of metal I've seen!

< was the guy standing up air drumming during the entire performance ... sooooo I think I really enjoyed it. wish I could of seen them in Charlotte for a better set list - it was only an hour from where I live. Did I mention I'm addicted to Jorn's bloody guitar?

Nils is so fun to watch with his chest pulling routine and odd faces he makes to get his note and timbre just right.

Oh, it was even more fun at Jaxx, as I was right on the rail directly in front of Nils. I had to be careful not to smack him when I wanted to throw the horns. I was close enough to see the fillings in his teeth. You are correct that these guys do deliver and I've yet to see a bad set from the three times I've got to watch them. And they are fun band to watch (not to mention to listen to), especially once I got to watch them so up close and personal like at Jaxx.

Well I got to see Pagan's Mind 4 times on this tour as I was able to go on tour with them and take photos and sell merch and just hang out with them, and all their performances were spot on and perfect, so I dont know how anyone could say that. They played to the smaller crowds in Charlotte and in Virginia like there were 10k people out there! They gave it their all and even played Maiden 2 Minutes 2 Midnight as an encore for both shows! The small crowd was bowled over by this incredible band!:headbang: The show in NYC at the Nokia was spectacular!! The Stratovarious crowd loved them from what I could see and the band was so incredibly grateful for the fans show of support and love. These are the nicest and most gracsious band I have ever met. I think they killed at PPX and were the best band there....
PAGAN'S MIND RULES!!!:worship:rock::kickass:
Cant wait to see them again at the Triton Power Cruise in April next year!! Start booking now!!!!!:headbang:

Well I got to see Pagan's Mind 4 times on this tour as I was able to go on tour with them and take photos and sell merch and just hang out with them, and all their performances were spot on and perfect, so I dont know how anyone could say that. They played to the smaller crowds in Charlotte and in Virginia like there were 10k people out there! They gave it their all and even played Maiden 2 Minutes 2 Midnight as an encore for both shows! The small crowd was bowled over by this incredible band!:headbang: The show in NYC at the Nokia was spectacular!! The Stratovarious crowd loved them from what I could see and the band was so incredibly grateful for the fans show of support and love. These are the nicest and most gracsious band I have ever met. I think they killed at PPX and were the best band there....
PAGAN'S MIND RULES!!!:worship:rock::kickass:
Cant wait to see them again at the Triton Power Cruise in April next year!! Start booking now!!!!!:headbang:

+1 :headbang:

I forgot about them also playing the Triton Power Cruise. I knew there was another band playing, but could not remember whom? Friggan PAGAN'S MIND!!! Sweet - I'll get to see them again. Became quite good friends with the keyboardist after these last two performances when I saw them.

I do remember you from the merch booth! Good thing I snagged up one of those workshirts at ProgPower, as they seemed to have went quick!

mëtålspëd;8551669 said:
The problem as I see it, was fest wide.... the audience was just really not getting into much like years previous. I don't know what it was, but it was palpable to everyone I spoke with.

I agree wholeheartedly, I think part of the problem was PM's set was a lot of rehash, but this attitude seemed to plague most of the returning bands. And that doesn't mean the crowd wasn't into it, they just weren't into it AS MUCH, comparatively speaking.

Anyone else notice? Obviously you have b/c nobody has posted anything now in 4 days! anyway, these guys usually rock and are one of my all time favorites...Saying that, they did not bring their A game....Whatever happened be it sound or whatever, it just wasn't there...The floor was very "unactive" and the magic they brought to the previous two shows was NOT there.... I was beyond pumped to see them play and they were one word, FLAT....Sad to see but man I still can't wait until their next album....Its okay, Circus and Fates still stole the show!

lunatic:kickass:

Actually, I enjoyed PM *more* at this ProgPower than at the previous ones where they've played....

I enjoyed PM again this year, much more than CM but that is just my preference. I thought, as many of you, they seemed a bit flat this time, but perhaps it was the audience response that gave me that perception. Viggo, of course, amazing as always. Vocally Nils is a younger James LaBrie in tone with a slightly higher range. But to hear a Crimson Glory tribute and of course the founders of all Prog..Fates Warning play (and not only play but have the best sound/mix/professionalism of the night) was the pinnacle of PP for me this year.

Professionals. That is what it boils down to. They are simply an incredible band. We are spoiled from seeing them too much. Bands do not get much better.

Bryant

Oh, it was even more fun at Jaxx, as I was right on the rail directly in front of Nils. I had to be careful not to smack him when I wanted to throw the horns. I was close enough to see the fillings in his teeth. You are correct that these guys do deliver and I've yet to see a bad set from the three times I've got to watch them. And they are fun band to watch (not to mention to listen to), especially once I got to watch them so up close and personal like at Jaxx.

I thought they were perhaps the best on Saturday, after Fates Warning. The crowd (at least from where I was watching, up by the sound board) was TOTALLY into them. I still say Saturday was the best night of music ever at PP.

dt

Anyone know why they dropped off the Stratovarius tour?? I was EXTREMELY disappointed to drive almost 300 miles to see Pagan's Mind and Stratovarius in Seattle the other night only to discover they were no longer on the tour. Stratovarius was great though.

Anyone know why they dropped off the Stratovarius tour?? I was EXTREMELY disappointed to drive almost 300 miles to see Pagan's Mind and Stratovarius in Seattle the other night only to discover they were no longer on the tour. Stratovarius was great though.

Sorry to hear that, but I tried to announce it as good as possible (though Blabbermouth ignored it for some reason...)
And we didn't drop off, we did half the tour :)

Glad to hear Stratovarius made up for it!

Sometimes you have to re-consider what you spend band money on, and what you get in return for it (when it ends up a lot less than expected)...

Frode