Painting My Acoustic

hexwind

Creepiness Och Terrorism
Jun 10, 2008
Psychedelic Planet
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, i have an acoustic guitar, It's without a brand.. and it has a bad color, something like orange which i don't like at all, yet, it does have a quiet good sound tbh, I'm thinking about changing its color, i mean, painting it. but i fear it will change its sound, i'm not actually good when it comes to instruments and stuff. do you think that it will change its sound or it will get fucked up however??

Well, maybe the TINIEST bit, but mostly the sounds will not become distorted unless the inside is painted, and even then it will be very minute as well.

Just don't break the thing and it should be fine XD

The paint needs to be thin enough to still let the wood vibrate. The more paint you apply, to more you kill frequencies in the sound and the guitar will sound dull.

If you feel confident in your abilities, you could carefully mask off all areas you don't want to paint, and then give it a rub with very fine sandpaper (800-1000 grain) in order to prepare the surface, and then apply the colour with a spray can, in several very thin layers. You should spray once (very thin!), let it set 30 mins, repeat. Then, let it dry thoroughly, we're talking almost a week here. Then, repeat the process until coverage is good enough. Then, snad the surface again (1000 grain) and repeat the same process with clearcoat spray. In the end, you need to sand the clearcoat with very very fine paper (2000 grain wetsanding) This will dull the clearcoat, but it is essential because you will want to apply polish. Car polish is ideal. Apply it in several coats , buffing and shining up the surface with thorough, circular motions.

Well, the process I described usually is used for electric guitars, but I don't see why it shouldn't apply to accoustics. At least I believe that spraypainting leaves thinner coats of colour than applying clour with a brush or something. It's a delicate process nonetheless, and don't take my guarantee that it will work.

Just trying to give you ideas about the process. Hope it helps...

Thanks guys ! Reelo, i don't think i am able to do it myself, I fear fucking it up !!
Hemehaci, dunno what color, I think I'm related to its original color, i wish i had one like Mike's in the rehearsal tapes, in the Junkmail studio. But i think this damn orange-like color won't let me have such color.
I think I will take to someone who's used to such things