Painting Neck binding

Jacksonrr8839

New Metal Member
Apr 8, 2010
One dumb question:
Is it possible to paint the edge of neck and fingerboard, following exactly like what a guitar that originally has neck and head binding?
Got a few guitar that I really wish they were made with binding. But since installing of real binding on a finished guitar can be quite a troublesome and expensive process, I m thinking of paint the rims.
I painted militia vehicles before so I guess probably those paint can survive quite long especially guitars do not need to undergo extreme environments that those trucks ,jeeps gone through , like drastic temperature and climate changes.

Has anyone ever done that or had the same idea before?
Does paint out the binding affect lifespan of fingerboard's wood material?
Thanks

I suggest you go to a forum with more actual guitar luthiers, do a google search and ask around in those.

To try and answer your question as best as i can meanwhile; you'd need to sand off the clear coat before you did this, and you run the risk of fucking up your fretboard if you get paint on it, but as long as you properly mask it with tape and protection it should be possible to do this without any major risks. You'll need to apply clear coat on top of the paint afterwards again.

But i still advice you to ask luthiers, especially those who do the painting for advice.

I suggest you go to a forum with more actual guitar luthiers, do a google search and ask around in those.

To try and answer your question as best as i can meanwhile; you'd need to sand off the clear coat before you did this, and you run the risk of fucking up your fretboard if you get paint on it, but as long as you properly mask it with tape and protection it should be possible to do this without any major risks. You'll need to apply clear coat on top of the paint afterwards again.

But i still advice you to ask luthiers, especially those who do the painting for advice.

Thanks. I m asking for the sake to see anyone actually tried to DIY this.
I do not want to use the help from luthier yet as my luthiers here ask money for any little piece of shit from them. I do not want to spend money that way.

Thanks. I m asking for the sake to see anyone actually tried to DIY this.
I do not want to use the help from luthier yet as my luthiers here ask money for any little piece of shit from them. I do not want to spend money that way.

Asking luthiers on an online forum, will not cost you money