Passive recommendation for my Spad

heshian46

Sep 1, 2009
Northwest Burbs of Chicago, IL
I have one of these:
spadnatpro1.jpg

I'd like to swap out the pickups for another, better sounding, set of passives.

I'm a drummer, but I bought the guitar to learn on, and to have something in the studio. I've now come to realize that I'm not really a fan of the EMG selects it came with, very honky sounding, not a very smooth mid-range. But I do like the guitar itself. I just don't know very much about pickups and what's available.

So...what would you guys recommend me? I'd like to stay with passives, but im not opposed to going the actives route. However, I'd like to do the swap myself, more for a learning experience than anything else, so sticking with passives might be the easiest route. I don't want to risk messing up the guitar by having to route out the body.

This guitar is mainly used by me for jamming' and screwing around, going DI most of the time. However occasionally a client with garbage gear will use it, so a pickup that will fit a wide range of metal styles is preferable (if at all possible).

What do ya say, can ya help a brother out?

EMG's are actually easier to install than passives (IMO/IME) because they have the solder less system. :)