Past/Present Game Addictions

Oh, absolutely....further proof that good, tight gameplay doesn't -- and shouldn't -- depend on some bloated software and graphics. I think I used to play the 'hack' variant on our Unix machines at school.

You die.

My latest run went pretty well. I was playing a Valkarie. (I love when I get the "Valkarie needs food badly!" message). I lost my pet cat early on. I hate cats, so no big deal, but I did want a pet. I got Excalibur again. I found a large dog and tamed it, but as soon as I did, I got attacked by a werewolf. I got infected with lycanthropy and had to drop all of my stuff (wolves are weak and have very few hit points). He was kicking my butt bad, so I summoned a pack of wolves. We beat him. I finally managed to pray for to be cured and got all of my stuff back. I then toured with my pack (it's a pain to keep them together), but eventually, I got attcked by a red naga. One shot and I was dead.

Oh well.

I loved SYPHON FILTER for the Playstation! My God, I would play that game for hours. Before my daughter was born in 2002 and my wife had a different job, she would work on Saturdays sometimes 9 a.m. until 9:30 p.m. back then. I'd start playing this game when she left and I'd still be playing it when she came home. I solved SF 1, but 2 and 3 I've barely played. SYPHON FILTER fucking rules!

Along the same lines as Federation, I used to play Gemstone III - text-based, free on AOL back around 1996, eventually went to a pay service on simutronics.com. I'm sorry, why should I pay ten bucks a month for TEXT when even WoW with full blown graphics is fifteen bucks, less if you prepay 3/6 months?

I recently got the King's Quest Collection for Windows XP. It still didn't solve the issue with King's Quest 7 (timed sequence that's borked due to substantially faster cpu cycles), but the first several games are now playable, which they weren't on the older version (unless you went DOSbox) - distorted graphics, etc. I want an XP compatible version of Space Quest 2 now!

What I DON'T need right now is to get back into NetHack. I have no ideas how many hours that has burned up in my life.

I have intentionally not even downloaded it, but I know a few people that play Dwarf Fortress, http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/features.html

It's also an ascii game like NetHack, and has a tremendous amount of stuff going on in it. It has a pretty huge following with web pages even just devoted to the stories that happened during game play.

What I DON'T need right now is to get back into NetHack. I have no ideas how many hours that has burned up in my life.

I have intentionally not even downloaded it, but I know a few people that play Dwarf Fortress, http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/features.html

It's also an ascii game like NetHack, and has a tremendous amount of stuff going on in it. It has a pretty huge following with web pages even just devoted to the stories that happened during game play.

I tried Dwarf Fortress. It's too complex. I don't have that much time to sink into learning how to play a new game.

My latest run went pretty well. I was playing a Valkarie. (I love when I get the "Valkarie needs food badly!" message).

"Elf shot the food!"

"Players' shots do not hurt other players.......yet!"

"I've not seen such bravery!!!"

--All courtesy of the arcade game Gauntlet, which also used the "needs food badly!" line. :lol:

Along the same lines as Federation, I used to play Gemstone III - text-based, free on AOL back around 1996, eventually went to a pay service on simutronics.com. I'm sorry, why should I pay ten bucks a month for TEXT when even WoW with full blown graphics is fifteen bucks, less if you prepay 3/6 months?

Now they are up to Gemstone IV I guess.

Well you'd pay it if you enjoyed it more I guess. The problem with Gemstone III was that after a while there seemed to be less and less 'GM' interaction. There was a time when I had just arrived that a massive invasion of the main town occured. It was bloody as hell. I think we named it 'The Day of Blood.' I hid out in the rabbit hole.

Supposedly one of the highest level characters on the server sacrificed his character for it... or something. That was an incredible moment of gaming for me.

But nothing like that ever seemed to happen again.

That said I loved hanging out at town center as an empath. Fun times.

Did you order the King's Quest Collection online, or find it in a store? I've been meaning to get it ever since it came out. Is there a compatible version of Space Quest 1?

Bought it at Target! And based on a quick looksee, it seems that there is indeed an XP compatible version of the Space Quest 1-6 collection available too.

Well you'd pay it if you enjoyed it more I guess. The problem with Gemstone III was that after a while there seemed to be less and less 'GM' interaction. There was a time when I had just arrived that a massive invasion of the main town occured. It was bloody as hell. I think we named it 'The Day of Blood.' I hid out in the rabbit hole.

I was there for some invasions too. I even remember a GM-controlled giant hobgoblin wreaking havoc in a lowbie hobgoblin area. I think I made it as far as lvl 10, maybe - levelling was serious business in that game. Lost xp for deaths was brutal. I never had much money, but I often tipped the healers in plants - there wasn't anything I couldn't dig up, and I invested in a nice cloak with lots of pockets.

It was a lot of fun, just not ten dollars a month lot of fun.

I tried Dwarf Fortress. It's too complex. I don't have that much time to sink into learning how to play a new game.

I hear you. I am intentionally never downloading it since I don't need that chunk of my life to vanish at this point. I can't even keep up with my personal programming projects much less other pursuits.

What really fear though, is when Spore comes out. I mean, how in the fuck can I not get Spore, but I know that the lost productivity will be felt on a global level. My only hope is that it really doesn't live up to the hype and I can just pretend it never came out.

The Fallout franchise - best game I've ever played.

FALLOUT HELL YES! Though the Fallout games fall behind Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and a couple other series, they're way up there on my list. Nice to see them getting some love.

Ok... new addiction: Smash Bros Brawl.

Fucking christ, my hands literally hurt from playing it so much.

+1 I camped out Saturday night and bought it at midnight. My girlfriend is getting jealous...

For all you guys mentioning Diablo, you should pick up a copy of Titan Quest. It's by far the best Diablo clone I've ever had the honor of playing. It's just Diablo with nicer graphics, a more user-friendly set up, and an interesting class system that eliminates the wasted points Diablo's system caused. I love it, and it's the only game that's getting any play time right now since Smash Bros Brawl came out.

Once my SBB addiction slows down a little bit, I'll be back into Team Fortress 2. Wow is all I can say about that one.