Pat O'Brien Vs Steve Smyth

Pat O'Brien vs Steve Smyth

• Total voters
Loner said:
Pat. -> brought a lot of complexity and brutality to Politics
appreciated observation. :)

Loner said:
after studying his stlye in his work with Cannibal Corpse I'm convinced that most of my favorite riffs on that album are Pat's.
can't say that I studied O'Brien's style, I basically stopped listening to CC after "Tomb" (lo-hoong time ago, yes), so, what would I study anway...
I have to notice though that the riffs from the PoE album are my favorite Nevermore riffs in general, even now, after TGE, which would imply that I'm fond of what the man did with his style when he was with Nevermore.

by no means I'd say that he's better than S.Smyth. it's the matter of taste in liking a style.

I think you can define what a style is, but not what a better style is...
how can a style be judged AND compared to some other style in the first place? boils down to smartassing, as one only wants to convince the audience to accept what one likes better. mere matter of taste.

like, PoE is still my favorite Nevermore album. I prefer the number of strings used in that stone age era. :p

actually, I wrote here a bit only cuz I wanted to confront my sig with some new pairs of eyes that would enjoy the view. :D

Tee said:
appreciated observation. :)

can't say that I studied O'Brien's style, I basically stopped listening to CC after "Tomb" (lo-hoong time ago, yes), so, what would I study anway...
I have to notice though that the riffs from the PoE album are my favorite Nevermore riffs in general, even now, after TGE, which would imply that I'm fond of what the man did with his style when he was with Nevermore.

by no means I'd say that he's better than S.Smyth. it's the matter of taste in liking a style.

I think you can define what a style is, but not what a better style is...
how can a style be judged AND compared to some other style in the first place? boils down to smartassing, as one only wants to convince the audience to accept what one likes better. mere matter of taste.

like, PoE is still my favorite Nevermore album. I prefer the number of strings used in that stone age era. :p

actually, I wrote here a bit only cuz I wanted to confront my sig with some new pairs of eyes that would enjoy the view. :D

Like you said, it boils down to taste. A Future Uncertain is one of my favorite songs on TGE, but I still prefer Pat's stlye, probably because I'm a big fan of death metal.
Since you mentioned that you haven't heard any new CC stuff, I highly reccommend getting Bloodthirst and Gore Obsessed. They're quite different from the old CC stuff, and you'll hear what I mean about Pat's style sticking out in PoE.

Tee said:

The whole idea behind this thread / poll. :) If it was about about who is better then I would have just made a thread without a poll that just says "Steve Smyth owns Pat O'Brien's face."

:tickled: actually Tim.still I belive Pat is the second guitarist that influenced the most a Nevermore album.that death metal touch on "Politics" album is undeniable.

sure. I understood what you meant though I wasn't sure that the other people giving their comments on the subject saw/through your intention. I'm also not sure if everyone enjoyed the view.
my exotic dancers, addition no. 2, of course.... :yow:

I voted for Steve. The only album I've heard with him on it is TGE, and the only album I've heard Pat on is Bloodthirst. The guitars on TGE just make me pay more attention to them then on Bloodthirst.

Ok, forget all other bands... when thinking about Nevermore. Who brought more to the table? Smyth or O'Brien. WHO DO YOU THINK brought more to the band? Not who do you think is the better player, or who's side projects were better.

control-denied777 said:
Steve is a disciplined musician,Pat is just a rocker(good player though):loco:

I call bullshit on this one, you've crossed the line between opinion and fact here. Pat writes some of the most insanely complex music around, to say that he's "just a rocker" and not a disciplined musician is just plain incorrect.
You can say that you like Steve's style/playing/whatever more, that's subjective to one's own opinion.

control-denied777 said:
Steve is a disciplined musician,Pat is just a rocker(good player though):loco:
Steve is a disciplined alchoholic, got backstage for Gigantour and could not believe how drunk he was, heard he's always like that

Regardless...he plays beautifully. The videos Andy Sneap posted during TGE's recording gave me a really good impression of Steve, and being within a tongues distance of his fret board on the last euro-tour confirmed my thoughts that he smokes Pat.

Candy8 said:
Steve is a disciplined alchoholic, got backstage for Gigantour and could not believe how drunk he was, heard he's always like that

uh??? Don't come around spreading shit around about people you don't know. Most of us here have met Steve several times and spent more than a couple of hours with him and he's not an alcoholic. Yes, you might have seen him drunk and yes maybe he does enjoy a beer or two but he sure as hell didn't get drunk on his bottle of water the times I was with him