Steve Smyth & Pat O'Brien

blind_cynic said:
hard to say that since Pat wrote most of the guitar parts in Cannibal Corpse.anyway,like I said before,I prefer Tim to Pat or Steve.still I love that death-metal touch that Pat gave it to Politics album.

I meant in terms of solos, Jack did like.. 60-70% of the solos didn't he? And I thought Alex wrote most of the songs? Or was that just on Gore Obsessed?

LadyValerie said:
Jack Owen guitar-raped Pat.

I've got to disagree completely there. Pat's songs in CC are always 100x better than Jack's, IMO. Pat's solos are much better as well, especially on Gallery of Suicide and Bloodthirst.

Look in the booklests to see who wrote what, by the way.

'Nife [Spirit Crusher] said:
No, no he doesn't. Steve is far more versatile then Pat is.. anyday. Not to mention his lead work is alot better and less run of the mill, like Pat's. They're both really damn good at their own styles, but Steve is alot less boring and is a little more imaginative.

Edit: Gotta love Van. Actually, Pat told a friend and I the samething a while ago. (Note: Pat's a local dude where I live, and he goes to most of the local metal concerts.. He's easy to find and to talk too.) Weird.. But that was a few months ago so who knows.

Have you even heard Pat's CC stuff? If you can call his songs on Bloodthirst (just for example) boring, I'd have a hard time giving credence to your opinion on death metal.

Besides, what Steve plays is quite different anyways, why compare apples and oranges?

It's all about personal preference. Why the fuck do you idiots argue about this kind of shit? No one wins. You guys just want to be postwhores, so you argue about who is the better guitarist knowing all to well that there is no way to prove it. So, just give it up already and come sit on papa's lap. :hotjump:

Pat fits in awesome in CC, he pulls some awesome shit out playing in that format (see: Frantic Disembowelment). On the other hand, his style I have never thought of as Nevermores style. Pat always felt more full on ragey death metal, not the progressive/power metal style of nevermore.

replicated said:
It's all about personal preference. Why the fuck do you idiots argue about this kind of shit? No one wins. You guys just want to be postwhores, so you argue about who is the better guitarist knowing all to well that there is no way to prove it. So, just give it up already and come sit on papa's lap. :hotjump:

Because it's fun. :Spin:

replicated said:

Because that's what musicians talk about on their free time :Spin:

And Loner: I suppose you may be right. I've seen the Live Cannibalism DVD and most of the solos were played by Jack. I haven't heard all too much of CC though, I have Bloodthirst and Gore Obsessed, and I just bought The Wretched Spawn today.

LadyValerie said:
Because that's what musicians talk about on their free time :Spin:

And Loner: I suppose you may be right. I've seen the Live Cannibalism DVD and most of the solos were played by Jack. I haven't heard all too much of CC though, I have Bloodthirst and Gore Obsessed, and I just bought The Wretched Spawn today.

I've got a suspicaion that what CC played live before was somewhat dictated by what Jack could or couldn't play. :D Pat's songs are fucking hard, even the "easier" ones have some very unorthodox riffing that makes it hard to play.

Anyways, the fact that you like Cannibal Corpse to begin with kicks ass. Death metal needs more female fans. ;)

Pat O. is a badass. He kinda destroys Jack. Also fits better in CC than Nevermore. I think Smyth is the perfect fit in Nevermore.

And while we're on Cannibal Corpse - any fan of extreme metal should do themselves a favor and pick up "Bloodthirst". This seems to be a somewhat overlooked record that is actually pure genius. It sounds better than anything else that they've done, thanks to the godfather of extreme metal producers - Colin Richardson. The first three songs alone put this album into "classic" status for me.

I wasn't trying to start a Steve vs. Pat war... I just thought it was cool to get a picture of them together & share it with you all.:erk:

Though Jack Owen was in CC in the beginning & a long time surprisingly he did not write much music. Pat has not been in the band aslong & has probably written more. Alex Webster does write the most in the band. Alex,Paul write most of the lyrics also.