pathetic Morningrise review (funny!)

Nico16

Oct 10, 2001
germoney.
I just found a very...hm...strange review of Morningrise...

(the URL is: http://www.chedsey.com/list/opeth.htm#morningrise2)

Enjoy!:

Opeth, the pioneers of kitsch and aimless pretention in black metal. Morningrise best exemplifies their stunning incapacity to arrange - not necessarily to compose - and quite predictably is swallowed whole by "melodic metal" enthusiasts with a penchant for worshipping anything this blatantly gimmicky. There are certainly some redeeming points, but they tend to go unnoticed, mostly because this album is about thirty minutes too long and so full of itself that mediocrity begins to seem like incompetence when it keeps getting repeated for what seems like hours on end.

"Advent", for example. A jumble of ideas, it is a messy collection of a million different apathetic riffs without any clear climax, direction. There's a nice riff, then a little break - maybe an acoustic interlude - and then a riff that might have come from any of their other songs, or albums, for that matter. Some of the songwriting seems forceful, and laced with subtle contrivances that tend to strip it of its emotional content because of its inability to absorb me: if the music bothers me, I tend to view it objectively, from the outside, and then the other flaws come crashing in from the periphery onto the centre stage.

There are often a lot of abrupt stops, and they're sometimes followed by acoustic picking patterns with off-key clean vocals. They're somewhat well done on the first two songs, but by the time "Nectar" is done, so is the creativity the band is able to exercise. "Black Rose Immortal" is intolerably boring and "To Bid You Farewell" is almost as bad. The vocals are rather generic, but there is a lot of potential in what the lead singer would be able to accomplish if he tried to sing in key. The production is fine, though the guitar sound is not quite thick enough to have a charismatic definition.

I'm not willing to say that Opeth are untalented, that would be rather inaccurate. Without any doubt, there's a lot of catchy riffage all over the place, and some of the acoustic inteludes are even pleasantly "atmospheric". "Advent" and "Night and the Silent Water" are nice listens, and if taken just as a collection of riffs tend to even be enjoyable. If only they had not tried to bite off more than they could chew, and edited out most of the pointless meandering, this would've been decent. They need to learn that composing "epics" takes a lot more than plastering guitar parts onto a conceptual rag doll of a song. :lol:

:loco:
:loco: :)

The review is accurate....although i'm puzzled why he calls Morningrise a "masterpiece" in the MAYH review... The BWP review #2 however is perfect.... every word of it is true

Originally posted by hibernal_dream
The review is accurate....although i'm puzzled why he calls Morningrise a "masterpiece" in the MAYH review... The BWP review #2 however is perfect.... every word of it is true

There are actually two different people reviewing. The review posted above is by a certain Rahul Joshi, who is a proven snob, he went astray in his pseudo-conceptual wanderings to justify certain specimens of metal as 'high art', a prime example of which for him is, amongst others, Depeche Mode. Morningrise is my least favourite Opeth album, and while he hit a few valid points in his review, his 'le critique homme' attitude is simply that he wants to talk more than he has to talk about.

As for the BWP review N2, Chedsey contradicts himself - Morningrise is a lot more incoherent than the last two albums, so he has chosen an ill-fitting moment to decide which side of the fence he should fall to. While Morningrise does seem to me as (mostly) many random riffs thrown together, he fails to see Opeth's exciting take on variation and composition development which began on Still Life and continued on BWP. I respect the man for owning the best review site around, but in some places (most notably the review to Sculptured's "Apollo Ends") he utterly misses the point, by a huge margin.

D Mullholand
---------------------
NP: Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine

the review is based on a certain amount of truth: mike's clean vocals HAVE progressed since morningrise. and he even said himself that he's learned how to segue riffs since then.

but this guy is obviously just trying to seem intellectual by bashing an intelligent band.

For as long as music, be it complex or simple, is existent, whining pseudo-intellectuals are bound to pick up a pen or slap the keyboard and just moan for no other sake but to moan. (I have fallen into that pit myself once or twice; have mercy on my soul!) It is very common for those below a certain degree of intelligence, talent, finesse or so forth to try and renounce the situation; these people rely on denial, and most often even those who manage to bring up critical points to scrutiny are too much tied to their mindset to become any more valid as far as their opinions go. It is clearly a psychological defense: an envy towards the subject of the critique results in the denial of its value. I wonder what Joshi's motive for slagging Opeth off is. He wanted to be a successful musicial but did not quite cut it? Envy, literal talent and will to excellence at whatever the field may be are things that result in nothing but ill-spirited, cocky slander. (This reminds me of one Neil Aldis and his review of Emperor's "Anthems..." in Metal Hammer. As is the case here, Aldis also seemed to have forgotten about a very important factor in reviewing an album: actually listening to the damn thing!)

And while Opeth's "Morningrise" certainly wanders, having more riffs than some groups belt out during a whole career, this particular review lacks of understanding. To say that "Advent" has no climax is just downright false, but no-one without any comprehension of the tone of a piece of music can see that. In my opinion "Advent" gets remarkably darker by the end, and even if some transitions meander too much, the parts are eventually logical in their placement. But "a messy collection of a million different apathetic riffs without any clear climax, direction?" Not likely.

Well, to conclude, I think that if someone slanders "Morningrise", it should not actually have so much of an effect on anyone's opinion about Opeth. More than that it is testimonial to the critic's lack of understanding or pure, sour envy on his side.

Yeah, I've noticed a few contradictions in Chedsey's reviews (taking into account there is more than one reviewer). I think what he does a lot of the time is try to apply a band to a genre or standard way of creating music, and when the band doesn't conform ie. they stop and start too often, he has no capacity to enjoy or understand the music.

I noticed it in the My Dying Bride reviews too.