Read This Guy

Originally posted by SlayerRob

as for Mikael, he has flaws IMO that shouldn't be missed even by fans. They are pretty much exposed on Blackwater since his vocals are pretty naked and out in the open. You can hear how his voice awkwardly gets louder on ascending passages, not because of dynamic choice, but because he is forcing the notes and not letting them come out naturally.

Slayerboy:

Please cite times and songs. It's good for one's credibility. It would also show an interest in a two-way conversation.

Originally posted by E V I L

Slayerboy:

Please cite times and songs. It's good for one's credibility. It would also show an interest in a two-way conversation.

That's asking quite a bit. I would have to re-listen to all the cds and then mark down on a piece of paper exactly when they happened. If you REALLY REALLY want me to do that, I will, or you can give me the benefit ofthe doubt.

Songs I can give. "Benighted" shows Mikael weakening on the higher notes, not putting enough support behind them. I can also hear where studio work helped fix a few things.

The first clean passage on Morningrise is very weak, with some rough intonation.

the opening track on Blackwater Park has a passage where the notes reach near the peak of Mikael's range, and you can hear him force the notes.

I am about to go to sleep , and that's as in depth as I can get tonight. if you want me to pursue this further, I'll do so tomorrow.

No. And you know from my previous explanations that wasn't my issue. But some of the people attacked the review simply because it bashed Opeth.

I'm not entertaining any sparring with you, however, if you're not going to actually pay any attention.

This borders on non-sequitir, guy.

Here's the issue in case you forgot: "Some of the people attacked the review simply because it bashed Opeth" and you would wrongfully implicate me (and this board) as being prone to that kind of blind triumphalism (ie. "fanboyism"). You'll find that this board, adn the peopel who frequent it, have a history of being the exact opposite. Try again.

That's asking quite a bit. I would have to re-listen to all the cds and then mark down on a piece of paper exactly when they happened. If you REALLY REALLY want me to do that, I will, or you can give me the benefit ofthe doubt.

Songs I can give. "Benighted" shows Mikael weakening on the higher notes, not putting enough support behind them. I can also hear where studio work helped fix a few things.

The first clean passage on Morningrise is very weak, with some rough intonation.

the opening track on Blackwater Park has a passage where the notes reach near the peak of Mikael's range, and you can hear him force the notes.

I am about to go to sleep , and that's as in depth as I can get tonight. if you want me to pursue this further, I'll do so tomorrow.

BP is sufficient, as it was BP you were talking about, if I'm not mistaken.

Originally posted by Belial
I personally don't care if some other guy loses interest in Opeth. That is his tastes, which are obviously different from mine, so why should his opinion be of any value to me?

Which is why I don't like reviews. It all comes from a single person's perspective, and a single person's taste. It is madness to give an elevated importance to any one person's perspective, as if it is somehow more valid than the rest. No matter who you are, or how diverse your tastes, you cannot be an authorative, or even reliable source of critisism unless it is in a purely mechanical sense.

Reviews mean nothing to me. I prefer to try music for myself, though I admit I do tend to make some of my listening decisions based from people who are inclined towards a certain genre I like, but only so I don't become hopelessly lost in the sea of bands. With all this lovely mp3 pirating software I can sample nearly any band I choose and make my own decisions on whether I think they are worthy of my money.

Which is why I am generally not taking this thread very seriously, and don't comment about the reviews, because I honestly don't care what the reviewers said.

The purely mechanical sense of reviewing is useless because it removes the element of emotion, and that is what gives music it's power.

I don't get your criticism of reviews. Reviews aren't meant to be the be all and end all of tastes or to give an "elevated importance to anybody's taste". They're simply there for guidance. Just because you read a review doesn't mean you aren't "trying music for yourself".

Reviews are just there to pass along info on certain groups, and you can usually tell a reviewer's tastes, credibility, and parity with your tastes by reading several of his reviews. From this, you can usually see if something interests you. To contrast, even NEGATIVE reviews can pique my interest as well. I don't think anybody i ntheir right mind thinks reviews are any more than entertaining pieces of guidance, expressions of personal opinions. And they serve their purpose quite well.

for someone who doens't care about the reviews, you certainly had to type a lot of paragraphs to say that :)

BP is sufficient, as it was BP you were talking about, if I'm not mistaken.

alrighty, I'll put it in tomorrow morning then.

It's not that I think he's a horrible singer, I just think his clean vocals were better when used sparingly, and if he's going to sing more often, he should learn his trade better.

I think you mentioend Katatonia before, but I liked the fact that they didn't fix the flat and somewhat erratic vocals on Discouraged Ones a lot. It had a human, raw and honest feel to it. Nobody would ever argue that Jonas Renske (or whatever his name is) is a good singer on a technical level, either. I don't really like his vocals on Tonight's Decision at all, though, I prefer the Discouraged Ones vocals.

This borders on non-sequitir, guy.

Here's the issue in case you forgot: "Some of the people attacked the review simply because it bashed Opeth" and you would wrongfully implicate me (and this board) as being prone to that kind of blind triumphalism (ie. "fanboyism"). You'll find that this board, adn the peopel who frequent it, have a history of being the exact opposite. Try again.

You say this after somebody writes a message saying "Chedseyboy just said he loses interest halfway through an Opeth song, how could he say that, he has no soul" and other hilarious "I CAN'T TAKE THE FACT THAT YOU DISAGREE WITH ME" whining.

Not EVERYBODY attacked the reviews for those reasons, or even attacked them for that matter, but the first two to three responses seemingly took offense that they were less than glowing reviews that questioned Opeth's supremacy.

Hey, man, be a little open-minded.

I agree on the "safe predictable formula". Sure, the sound was ahead of it's time at one point, but now they're rehashing themselves and they haven't really progressed an iota since day one. not that that's required for quality--Testament hasn't progressed much either andI love them. but still....your narrow-minded views are just a product of sheer fanboyism that I just can't stand. In essence, a reaction like this is comparable to an N Sync fan getting mad that somebody doesn't like them.

I am not blindly defending Opeth as something completely holy as your N'Sync analogy implies. What I am saying is that I don't understand how Opeth can be labeled predictable........ Man

The purely mechanical sense of reviewing is useless because it removes the element of emotion, and that is what gives music it's power.

I didn't mean to imply that this is the only "good" kind of reviews. Only the ones that can be completely unbiased, thus reliable. Nothing more.

I don't get your criticism of reviews. Reviews aren't meant to be the be all and end all of tastes or to give an "elevated importance to anybody's taste". They're simply there for guidance. Just because you read a review doesn't mean you aren't "trying music for yourself".

I am aware of this, but still you can't deny that a lot of people take it like that. I've seen so many times, how people place all the credibility of a band on a particular reviewer's opinion of it. I see it online, and in real life.

Example: A friend of mine once refused to listen to Tool because his favorite reviewer gave it a bad review. We were in the car, and Schism played on the radio, and he went absolutely nuts over that song. He became a big Tool fan since then. The fact that he was willing to deprive himself of Tool because a reviewer didn't like it still amazes me.

for someone who doens't care about the reviews, you certainly had to type a lot of paragraphs to say that :)

I have a complicated thought process, my friend, and I like to make sure my thoughts are crystal clear to everyone. I usually tend to write long posts to do that.

You say this after somebody writes a message saying "Chedseyboy just said he loses interest halfway through an Opeth song, how could he say that, he has no soul" and other hilarious "I CAN'T TAKE THE FACT THAT YOU DISAGREE WITH ME" whining.

Not EVERYBODY attacked the reviews for those reasons, or even attacked them for that matter, but the first two to three responses seemingly took offense that they were less than glowing reviews that questioned Opeth's supremacy.

Nothing's perfect. I am referring to your impression of the majority of the people here, essentialized in your use of the word "internet" and "board" among other things. Besides you're missing the point. You accused me of something. I hope you're enlightened now.

Tomorrow (or anytime hereafter): Index the times at which MA's voice falters. I'd be interested in noticing them myself.

If all reviewing is is saying what an album sounds like but not commenting on the quality, then it's summarizing, not reviewing. OPinions are a heavy part of reviewing.

Exactly what I mean. What is the point in just describing the style and the sound ? For me such things don't matter at all, I want to see that the person who writes the review actually cares about the music ! He has to literally throw his soul into the words, so that I (the reader) will be convinced that this music is worthy feeling passionate about. The next step is to check out the reviews this hypothetical dude wrote about the albums I have already heard, and only then I can decide whether to check out the music itself.

Rahul's reviews are, in fact, full of kitsch and aimless pretension. They are not designed to be "objective", and I appreciate that, but in reality he's talking more about himself than about the music (not literally of course, just my impression after reading all of them). I have only one problem with John Chedsey - and I may be wrong, since I don't know him personally - but it seems to me, from his reviews, that he became a lazy and mechanical listener. I don't see any feelings for music in his words, everything is too "objective" and ambivalent. Does he still Like Music ?

D Mullholand

I think we can all see who gets paid by the word. You complain about "whole threads" being dedicated to bad reviews, but it is you who seems to have the most invested in this subject. Like I said earlier in this thread, most paid reviewers are hacks with their own agenda. Thats why I mentioned liking the unpaid amateur reviewers on amazon.com. They {like us} simply express their opinion. Good or bad.

ADmittedly, I've studied voice for over a decade, but even Hansi Kursch is FAR from technically being a good singer, and he isn't guilty of what I accused Mikael of.

but then again......Hansi has taken quite a lot of singing lessons since the older albums :) and I personally think that it has evolved his singing a whole damn lot.....compare Follow the Blind to Demons & Wizards....

@SlayerRob: since you are so fond in personal opinions and you believe no review can be done without personal opinions here is a personal opinion of my own: go away. By this point you should understand that it is our personal opinion that your page views on Opeth are biased by preconception and expectations and by this point anyone who see's your page realizes that it is the flag that all reviewers should use: Personal opinions, expectations, whining and a unstoppable need to argue your points in circle until everyone gets tired of you. Well you succeded everyone is tired of you, your opinion is that opeth fans do not accept that other people dislikes opeth, our opinion is that you do not accept that your reviews are stupid, even more than the typical reviews, that it has obious favoritism in genres and band expectations and that for a person that claims we cannot accept others opinions has spend an awful lot of time trying to prove your review is not biased and is valid. Our opinion is that it is, our opinion is that your whole page is dumb and worst than the typical bad reviews, and our opinion is that you should take a look at yourself and the 3 pages of worthless crap you spawned before saying that we do not accept others opinion.

Its an opinion and since you value so much personal opinions and defend them respect this one and get lost.

Originally posted by Misanthrope
Its an opinion and since you value so much personal opinions and defend them respect this one and get lost.

:lol:
If I ever go on the Jerry Springer show, you're invited along Misanthrope.

Nothing's perfect. I am referring to your impression of the majority of the people here, essentialized in your use of the word "internet" and "board" among other things. Besides you're missing the point. You accused me of something. I hope you're enlightened now.

Tomorrow (or anytime hereafter): Index the times at which MA's voice falters. I'd be interested in noticing them myself.

I'd like to see that too.

I could make some contributions to that list as well;)

What is the point in just describing the style and the sound ?

I would like to see that. I would like to see something like "Metal vivid descriptions and Band dictionary". I do not care for personal opinions that can ( and almost all the time ) get biased in the way that is what i hate about reviews, i would like to see descriptions only with today's avaibility and tools like internet there is no excuse to not try things yourself i mean it would be nice to see a description of a band i do not know and then i would see if i like them as a matter of personal taste because personal taste should stay personal.

Im in for descriptions only so do not speak for everyone.