Read This Guy

Originally posted by E V I L

Mind you both, Chedsey doesn't merely write that about BP; his tirade extends to MAYH and Still Life, shockingly.

"While I freely admit both Orchid and Morningrise were two remarkable, groundbreaking efforts from this Swedish band, the resulting three albums since then (My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life and now Blackwater Park) have done little to capture my attention "

"(I maintain their last three albums sound as though they were thrown together in the studio, using various riffs Åkerfeldt had come up with goofing off around the house), Opeth is a band I tend to tune out and lose interest in partway through each given song. "

Anyone, but anyone, who says something like "I lose interest halfway in an Opeth song" clearly has not bothered to appreciate it. It's a hard matter of fact.

Pure elitism right here. When somebody doesn't like it, they just "don't get it", according to you. This viewpoint is espoused mostly by morons who can't accept other people's tastes.

Originally posted by requiem
Nothing wrong with the Gathering, but obviously this guy isn't a big fan of originality.

I think I have read that before. If not here, maybe at Satan Stole My Teddy Bear. I find many of their reviews to be misguided at times.

I think you'd find by John's taste that he is VERY into originality, especially with his penchant for Nomeansno, one of the more original punk bands of the latter decade.

Just because something is original, however, doesn't make it good. And Opeth's music was original once upon a time, but it isn't anymore. Opeth are rehashing themselves now. It worked on My Arms, because of enough subtle variance ,and STill Life, because of improved songwriting, but the formula is definitely tired on Blackwater Park.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh my god, Slayer. I just can't stop laughing... I mean DAMN! You really have to LIGHTEN UP! And get a thick skin, and stop getting so easily offended.

You claim that the people of this forum are so bothered by opinions that differ from their own, but you are obviously so bothered by our differing views that you felt that you had to make a new name to debate it with us. You sir, are the one who needs a thicker skin.

Besides, why are the opinions of this forum so important to you? Half the stuff everyone here is saying are personal opinion, nonsense, and light-hearted humor. Is it the fact that the site you write for is the current subject of this forums bitching that is eating away at you? You are a sad, insecure person, and I sincerely hope you find the strength to not be so bothered by the differing views of others.

Originally posted by Belial
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh my god, Slayer. I just can't stop laughing... I mean DAMN! You really have to LIGHTEN UP! And get a thick skin, and stop getting so easily offended.

You claim that the people of this forum are so bothered by opinions that differ from their own, but you are obviously so bothered by our differing views that you felt that you had to make a new name to debate it with us. You sir, are the one who needs a thicker skin.

Besides, why are the opinions of this forum so important to you? Half the stuff everyone here is saying are personal opinion, nonsense, and light-hearted humor. Is it the fact that the site you write for is the current subject of this forums bitching that is eating away at you? You are a sad, insecure person, and I sincerely hope you find the strength to not be so bothered by the differing views of others.

haha, they're important to me? These opinions were posted to me by a crony.

Go ahead, believe whatever you want! If it makes you sleep better at night, Poindexter, believe what you want about me. If it makes you feel better about yourself, go ahead, I'll be your whipping boy!!!

hahahahahhaha

Originally posted by Lina
it's so clear that his big problem with opeth is that they don't follow traditional song structure patterns -- how sad that he's so limited.

and mikael...off-key?! like, maybe twice in his whole career. idiot.

this guy used to hang around the gathering board before they shut it down (i THINK).

just FYI, Opeth aren't THAT untraditional in structure anymore.

Still Life had the occasional verse/chorus/verse on it, and it had "benighted" as well. Moreso, being untraditional does not mean "good".

Originally posted by SlayerRob

haha, they're important to me? These opinions were posted to me by a crony.

Go ahead, believe whatever you want! If it makes you sleep better at night, Poindexter, believe what you want about me. If it makes you feel better about yourself, go ahead, I'll be your whipping boy!!!

hahahahahhaha

Hehe, ooooohhhh, I just love to be whipped. The thought of bending over and being whipped in the ass makes me want to jizz all over the screen...aaaahhhh, too late! :lol:

Hehe. Dude, you have to stop taking everything so personally. You'll kill yourself from stress if you don't. I can see the angst in your post, and I can assure you, if this continues, you will be the one loosing sleep and I'll be snoring like a baby. :D

Hehe, ooooohhhh, I just love to be whipped. The thought of bending over and being whipped in the ass makes me want to jizz all over the screen...aaaahhhh, too late! :lol:

Hehe. Dude, you have to stop taking everything so personally. You'll kill yourself from stress if you don't. I can see the angst in your post, and I can assure you, if this continues, you will be the one loosing sleep and I'll be snoring like a baby. :D

It seems you're taking his comments too personally as well. Let the lad have a say, and question his reasoning not intentions.

...but the claim that the SSMT reviewers don't "get" Opeth due to their "non-traditional" arrangements is your standard fanboy load of shit. They've given extremely high marks to many albums that make Opeth's music look thoroughly conventional by comparison. At least be honest with yourselves...

I assume you're talking to yourself, since I've had the best year in the world this year.

the reviewer was critiquing opeth for having a "riff here, an interlude there", being "aimless," etc. so apparently he prefers verse/chorus/verse. and yes, bwp fits this more (which is why i find it a bit uninspired, honestly) -- so he's only contradicting himself. i stand by my comment completely.

and you're right -- it is elitism. i freely admit this without the least bit of embarassment. i have said many times on this board that every other band is open to opinion, but that opeth is "factually" good. no sense in arguing it -- you hate people like me, and i look down from my throne on you. :p

i don't understand why people who don't love the band bother to post here.

I haven't listened enough to Black Water Park to say anything about it here. I can say that I think just because Black Water Park is more traditional etc. doesn't mean it can't still be great music. It is sounding to me like the reviewer really only liked the old Opeth, Orchid and Morningrise differ the most from the later albums, and maybe he just doesn't like the newer stuff with the Martins. And SlayerRob, if you really don't care about our opinions, why would you bother to register a name here, select an avatar, and then post five consecutive times about our opinions that you don't care about? I'm not even offended by his review of BWP, he liked old Opeth, he obviously likes what are some of the best Opeth albums, and he either didn't like Opeth with the Martins, or he expects them to sound completely different on each album. Whatever, he doesn't like Opeth anymore and he is assuming their next releases will be exactly the same as blackwater park, as are you Rob. If their next two releases sound extremely traditional, and aren't nearly as good as the previous albums, then you could probably say BWP was a step to mediocrity. However, if the next two releases completely blow us away and are just incredible, then with BWP you could say Opeth was just trying out something new and were back to varying their songstructure and having more well-written lyrics. (I really haven't listened to BWP enough to say anything about it, I'm basing my statements such as "BWP isn't as original" off what has previously been said)

Originally posted by Lina
the reviewer was critiquing opeth for having a "riff here, an interlude there", being "aimless," etc. so apparently he prefers verse/chorus/verse. and yes, bwp fits this more (which is why i find it a bit uninspired, honestly) -- so he's only contradicting himself. i stand by my comment completely.

and you're right -- it is elitism. i freely admit this without the least bit of embarassment. i have said many times on this board that every other band is open to opinion, but that opeth is "factually" good. no sense in arguing it -- you hate people like me, and i look down from my throne on you. :p

i don't understand why people who don't love the band bother to post here.

I guess the post in which I said I loved Opeth must have missed your eyes. Hrm. I guess I have to sell my copies of Still Life, My Arms Your Hearse, Morningrise, and Orchid. I would gladly sell Blackwater Park, however.

What I've seen on this website leads me to why I hate fan websites. Fan websites are generally filled with people who take their appreciation for somebody's art to unhealthily high levels, usually extremely biased, un-subjective people, who won't hear another opinion. Sure, they will get annoyed by the idiots who come to the website just to start trouble and say "your band sucks", just like anybody, but they also get annoyed at the innocent people who enjoy the bands work but happen to realize the band is mortal and imperfect and make a criticism here and a criticism there. Then they dedicate entire threads to bashing an entire website over one review.

What Rahul was saying ,as I remember speaking to him about it or something, was that the songs were structured (to him) almost aimlessly, just like they were pointlessly cut and pasted together, with little or no artistic intention. His opinion was that the arrangements of the songs were not well-mapped out.

Just because something isn't formulaicly structured doesn't make it "untraditional" either. Rahul is a huge fan of My Dying Bride, who don't follow the simple "verse/chorus/verse".

Originally posted by Oyo
I haven't listened enough to Black Water Park to say anything about it here. I can say that I think just because Black Water Park is more traditional etc. doesn't mean it can't still be great music. It is sounding to me like the reviewer really only liked the old Opeth, Orchid and Morningrise differ the most from the later albums, and maybe he just doesn't like the newer stuff with the Martins. And SlayerRob, if you really don't care about our opinions, why would you bother to register a name here, select an avatar, and then post five consecutive times about our opinions that you don't care about? I'm not even offended by his review of BWP, he liked old Opeth, he obviously likes what are some of the best Opeth albums, and he either didn't like Opeth with the Martins, or he expects them to sound completely different on each album. Whatever, he doesn't like Opeth anymore and he is assuming their next releases will be exactly the same as blackwater park, as are you Rob. If their next two releases sound extremely traditional, and aren't nearly as good as the previous albums, then you could probably say BWP was a step to mediocrity. However, if the next two releases completely blow us away and are just incredible, then with BWP you could say Opeth was just trying out something new and were back to varying their songstructure and having more well-written lyrics. (I really haven't listened to BWP enough to say anything about it, I'm basing my statements such as "BWP isn't as original" off what has previously been said)

The difference is that I didn't find a website, then write a huge long-winded criticism about it and it's writers in a clear attempt to start trouble or flaunt my own ego. I responded to what I saw. The idea that you are allowed to spray your opinions about a board all over the place, but nobody is allowed to give the other side, is silly, and shows you are self-conscious.

I don't respond to criticism of the board often, actually. I generally defend anything, even if it's a board I haven't heard of, from stupidity. SSMT has been criticized plenty of times by people I know, and I've not cared simply because the criticism was well-defined, thoughtout, and explicit. It wasn't because "he didn't agree with my opinion". It's not like I'm heavily tied to SSMt. I haven't written many reviews there, and up until recently, I hadn't been on the internet more than 5 minutes or so a day for a month due to my excessive schedule (and my dislike of the internet).

but there's a clear difference between a guy like NobleSavage saying that the reviews weren't descriptive enough or lacked enough clear views, and a guy going "HE HATES OPETH, WHAT A LOOOOOOSER".

Stop having a go at Slayer. He's obviously an Opeth fan, but likes older albums better than the new ones. And he is sticking for his friend (who wrote a bad review imo), presenting some valid points.

Originally posted by SlayerRob

I guess the post in which I said I loved Opeth must have missed your eyes. Hrm. I guess I have to sell my copies of Still Life, My Arms Your Hearse, Morningrise, and Orchid. I would gladly sell Blackwater Park, however.

What I've seen on this website leads me to why I hate fan websites. Fan websites are generally filled with people who take their appreciation for somebody's art to unhealthily high levels, usually extremely biased, un-subjective people, who won't hear another opinion. Sure, they will get annoyed by the idiots who come to the website just to start trouble and say "your band sucks", just like anybody, but they also get annoyed at the innocent people who enjoy the bands work but happen to realize the band is mortal and imperfect and make a criticism here and a criticism there. Then they dedicate entire threads to bashing an entire website over one review.

What Rahul was saying ,as I remember speaking to him about it or something, was that the songs were structured (to him) almost aimlessly, just like they were pointlessly cut and pasted together, with little or no artistic intention. His opinion was that the arrangements of the songs were not well-mapped out.

Just because something isn't formulaicly structured doesn't make it "untraditional" either. Rahul is a huge fan of My Dying Bride, who don't follow the simple "verse/chorus/verse".

I can relate to that. I see that kind of fanaticism all over the place, which is why I don't visit fan chats or forums in general.

The opeth forum is... unique. Sure there are people who think Opeth are the best, but the majority of the people here know that Opeth are indeed mortal. In fact, in this thread almost everyone honestly debates that Opeth aren't really that good with their instruments. It is the diversity of views in this forum that keeps me here.

The reason I saw that a lot of them didn't like the review was because the reviewer honestly sounded like he gave their album one listen, tossed it away, and wrote a bad review. He didn't seem to put too much thought into it. Not because the review was bad neccesarily.

well, you're obviously new to the board, because we all have wildly differing opinions on what opeth's best/worst album is, etc, and they're all met with constructive debate. and then we go back and re-listen and come back and comment some more. and "favorite opeth album?" threads get different answers every time. the underlying theme of this board is that everyone agrees you can never make a snap judgment about opeth and stick with it. personally, i don't like orchid...but i'm working on it, and i know that one day it will probably be my favorite (well, maybe :p). So this board is hardly close-minded.

and i don't expect you to get this (because i'm an elitist :p), but the reason this board has thrived long after all opeth topics were exhausted is because the people are some of the most intelligent i've come across in my life (obviously there are some babies too, but overall much more informed, opinionated, and aware than the average population). most people have said this board is the only place they can come for stimulating conversation -- it isn't just "yeah, opeth rocks!" it doesn't surprise me that people as intellectually charged as the ones on this board are brought together by a band whose music requires an attention span and "depth" from the listener.

~~~~

as an aside, the reason we dismissed this reviewer is because his review makes no sense to someone who's actually studied opeth. mikael off-key? no. aimless? no. etc, etc...