Paul = David Gilmour?

Nothing like respect for the band, esp whose members post on this forum...

:rolleyes:

I mean, cool you are open and honest about it, but come on man....

How did I insult the band??? I honestly do think that Swano is a great producer...

Damn, I'm really embarrassed now... I meant no disrespect to the band or to Swano. Your sound is phenomenal, I don't think you should change it... I was just thinking it would be awesome for you guys to work with SW.

hahaha!!! You forget that Swano produced 2 Opeth's albums...

No I think that was more to the point Vito was making. It's one thing to use one guy who produced Opeth in the past, it's a whole 'nother thing to use two of Opeth's guys!

And while I'm on this subject, I want to state something, for the record :LOL:....

Working with Swano is something that we've wanted to do for years and years, and it wasn't until TPHD that we were able to actually do so. My old band Dead Serenade used to correspond with Dan back in the early 1990s, and had talked about going and producing our cd with him, well before Orchid or Morningrise were out. Paul, and our ex-guitarist Eric, were also quite fond of Swano's work for many years and we'd always discussed how great it would be to work with him. Thankfully we finally were given our chance.

Anyhow, point is, using Dan had pretty much zero to do with Opeth having used him previously. His work on those albums was excellent, nonetheless.

I didn't take offense to it, either. I understood your point. Whether there are or aren't better guys out there than Dan is a matter of opinion. But we feel that Dan is the best guy for us at this point. The production trinity of Chris, Dan, and James that we used on the last two cds gave us the sound we were looking for exactly. No need to screw with it as long as we're happy :)

Swano is a very good producer. There are better though, it'd be awesome if you guys got Steven Wilson to produce the next one.

Dan never produced our music, he only mixes for us. We produce ourselves, along with our bassist / studio engineer Chris. Honestly, Steven Wilson had a LOT of influence on those Opeth CDs, from vocal harmonies, to keys, and it was brilliant for Opeth. I'm not sure it would work the same way for us. Even the new material we're writing now has more of an edge to it. It's more suited for Dan Swano to dial in the perfect sound for us.

I think there's some inevitable similarities due to us both having similar influences and whatever. But overall, no I don't think there's much of a similarity there. But unfortunately many detractors and/or critics out there seem to think differently. Oh well.

Anyhow, bottom line is, while it'd be interesting to work with someone as talented as Wilson, honestly I'd choose Swano if given the choice. That's really the bottom line.

I've never got the Opeth comparisons either. Although the review of Novella Reservoir mentioned Opeth, when I heard it, I didn't see many similarities. Although I really like Opeth, I have to say that Paul's growls are far superior to Michael's. You can still clearly hear the lyrics, which is quite an achievement as they are equally, if not more brutal.

Paul and Mike's growls, while both fairly pronounced, are quite different to my ears as well. I think they're both pretty great, frankly. I really like Mike's vox on the new Bloodbath album.

I have a feeling too, that Paul's vocals are gonna be pretty brutal on our next cd, possibly some of his heaviest. But I won't give away anything just yet ;)

Well, Paul's growls get more and more brutal with each album, IMO. He and Mike do have a different quality to their growls, but they are equally awesome to my ears. Two men at the very top of the growling food chain, so to speak :)