Pc case for the studio...

Joshua Wickman

Yes Sir!
Feb 11, 2009
Michigan
I'm looking to build a i7 quadzilla in the next few weeks and I have no idea what case to buy. I'm looking for something that looks sick but also offers good cooling but is still pretty silent. Any recommendations??

There are some cases that you can rackmount. Antec has some that are probably good
Antec%204U%20TAKE4%20rackmount%20Case%20Black%20with%20650W%20PSU.jpg

The Antec P192/3 are nice cases, kind of cramped inside though. The stock Antec fans are loud though. Upgrade them with Noctua fans and you won't even hear the computer running.

I like this alot:
http://www.inwin-style.com/website/pd/pd_detail.php?iw_lanid=0&iw_name_id=30&iw_pd_id=13

The shop I work at got it few weeks ago and it look great and is damped on both sides.
Amazing quality for the price.
Only slight downside is that cable management is not spectacular compared to some of the modern cases (although, I suppose that "behind the board" cable management and dampening foam don't really go together anyway)

I using Antec P183. Very nice and silent case. I deleted all stock fans and set up passive cooler on CPU + video card with passive cooler.

Just have in mind there are other thing to consider if you want a quiet computer. Obviously it's noise is mainly high frequencies so you can easily absorb it with foam or similar, the trouble is that in doing so you're most probably impairing heat from getting out.

Get large, slow fans for everything (case/cpu/psu/etc.) and silent hdd mounts and you'll be pretty much ready in terms of noise level.

Yep, most of the newer mid range-high end cases are coming with insulation material now. I wholeheartedly recommend the fractal design define R2. It isnt too bad on your wallet priced at £80 and has amazing facilities for quick release of ssd and normal hard drives. Also, cable routing is fabulous, since it all routes round in a special way. This case has become a firm favourite recently, available in three colours and couple this with one of the new seasonic silent psu's and you'll be laughing.

I cant stop now, so im going to have to tell you to get a thermalright venemous x cpu cooler too and then overclock your i7 to buggery too!

The case also has upper, lower, left, right and front sound dampening materials btw. I always disconnect my case lights as I cant sleep with them.

fd-definer2-large.jpg