PEAVEY 6505 VS 6505+

Jim Siou

New Metal Member
May 22, 2013
Greece
www.youtube.com
I happened to have them both in my studio while reamping for a band and decided to compare them cause I've heard that most people prefer the 6505 over the 6505+. Take a listen and decide for your self.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think that 6505+ is a little tighter and more detailed, and the 6505 is a little bit more open sounding and raw/ballsy. But yes the difference is very subtle.

6505+ has looser low end, 6505 pushes highmids more, but subtly. Prefer the 6505.

Sorry to disagree, but you have it backwards most would agree. The + is tighter and has more of a high mid push, will the original is looser, more low mid grind and generally more out of control sounding

Sorry to disagree, but you have it backwards most would agree. The + is tighter and has more of a high mid push, will the original is looser, more low mid grind and generally more out of control sounding

Can't listen right now, as my setup is currently disconnected so I can put my monitors on new stands tomorrow, but this is really the only forum I've ever heard the 6505+/5150 II described as being "tighter" than the 5150/6505. I've owned over 15 of the amps in the 5150/6505 series (obviously numerous repeats of the same model) and the 6505+ was always looser than the original, as well as smoother and less aggressive. This is what gives them their "bigger" sound. The 5150 I have now is one of the tightest sounding amps I've ever heard, and I've owned almost everything.

+1 on that. And if you listen to the first riff you can hear that the 6505+ accents the higher strings and the 6505 the palm mutes.

When I've done shootouts with the 6505/+ I've always found the 6505 to sound slightly bigger in the bottom end and a hair more aggressive, where I find the + to have slightly more high mids and smaller lows. But as I say it's a very small difference.

Can't listen right now, as my setup is currently disconnected so I can put my monitors on new stands tomorrow, but this is really the only forum I've ever heard the 6505+/5150 II described as being "tighter" than the 5150/6505. I've owned over 15 of the amps in the 5150/6505 series (obviously numerous repeats of the same model) and the 6505+ was always looser than the original, as well as smoother and less aggressive. This is what gives them their "bigger" sound. The 5150 I have now is one of the tightest sounding amps I've ever heard, and I've owned almost everything.

Like I said man, that's fine if that's how you feel about them, but most would completely disagree. I have also owned both numerous times over the years, starting with my first in 1998, so I'm also very well versed in both amps

I've recorded both numerous times, I'd never say the 6505 was tighter/ high mid voices compared to the +. Always the other way around for me

The 6505+ has more of a roar to it. It's got more bite. The 6505 has more flub, and dullness to it imo.

Hello fellow peavey fans. I find it strange that people are always trying to compare the 6505-6505+ simply because they are virtually the same amp. The 2 big differences being the 6505+ has a complete separate channel for clean and lead. In addition the + has one extra 12ax7 but it only comes in to use when the effects loop is turned On. I own both and when they have the same tubes the lead channels sound virtually identical with the same eq settings. The clean is another story. Its my opinion that the 6505 is for those who use another amp for clean or don't use clean. The 6505+ is however designed to have a bit more versatility hints the extra eq and extra tube on the effects loop.......the 6505 is my back up.

The extra 12AX7 in the 6505+ is for the green channel, that is completely different on the two amps... otherwise they're near identical..

Hi, first post. Sorry if about to cause mass flaming, but how would you compare the 5153 to the two? I've played all of them, but never through the same rig or back to back, but the 5153 sounded more mix ready, to my ears.