Peavey Valveking

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Hi
Has anyone tried the peavey valveking head?
I have listened the samples made by cobrahead with his combo...but I need impressions about 100W head version.
Anyone?

bye

Well the combo was a piece of shit imo, and the guy at my local store said the head doesn't sound much better, i'd say go and try it for yourself, but it definetly wasn't my bag at all.

Do you think that a valve change could improve the sound of this shit?
It has four 6L6GC preamp tuber and three 12AX7 power tubes.
Krank revolution (it's not a comparation...there is no story) has:
four 12AX7 preamp tubes and four sovtek 5881 power tubes.

As you can see, valveking use 12AX7 in the power section and Krank in the pre section....I don't know ii this type of switch/change could improve the quality of this amp...
what do you think?

no, you have that the wrong way around, preamp tubes are the 12ax7's the 6L6's are poweramp tubes, so they use the same tubes, well the same preamp tubes, maybe retubing it could clean it up a bit, but it was just all fuzz, and no tightness to me, sounded like my line 6 spider, but worse.

there are two things that i think really hurt the sound of a stock valveking combo

the speaker: in a combo priced this low, you gotta expect that cheapest speaker imaginable; it sounds like a broken greenback IMO...this won't really be an issue with the head tho

the stock power tubes: mine were horribly mismatched to point that one even glowed different than the other, with a set of JJ's the amp sounded a lot stronger and more clear

it's a good versatile home practice amp, i wouldn't use it as my main rig in a death metal band by any means tho

don't wanna hijack the thread, but as long as we're talking combos... anyone try the Triple XXX Super 40 1x12 combo? how does it compare to the head? I'd be running it through a 4x12 of course, as it would be a studio amp...

Any opinions about Crate Blue Voodoo head?
On the website there are many endorser like Pat o'Brien, Max Cavalera, Vernon Reid, C.C. Deville, Billy Graziadei... doesn't mean it's a killer amp....but I'm very curious!

::XeS:: said:
Any opinions about Crate Blue Voodoo head?
On the website there are many endorser like Pat o'Brien, Max Cavalera, Vernon Reid, C.C. Deville, Billy Graziadei... doesn't mean it's a killer amp....but I'm very curious!

:puke:

davormen said:
don't wanna hijack the thread, but as long as we're talking combos... anyone try the Triple XXX Super 40 1x12 combo? how does it compare to the head? I'd be running it through a 4x12 of course, as it would be a studio amp...

The XXX 40 is the best sub-$1000 1x12 I've heard this year, but if memory serves it has no external speaker jack, just an fx loop.

I've read very good opinions and reviews on the net about the valveking head...But this means nothing, there are a lot of moron on the net.
Some week ago I went in my favourite guitar shop and I ask about valveking...sold out. Next time I wanna try this head...very curious.
If anyone have some sample from the head model....please post :)

xmarcelx said:
sorry, but *rofl*

i found that kinda funny as well, but if you're not familiar with tube amps at all (especially the way companies hype up the tube > SS thing) it's easy to get confused about these things

when i bought my first real tube amp (5150) i was totally clueless :Smokin:

Lol! Not more about this amp, like I said before, it sounded fuzzy and not very tight, now whether this was a tube issue I don't know. But the Triple XXX combo I tried, kicked it's ass in a lot of ways.