Personality

MURAI

-
Nov 6, 2002
Canada
Everybody probably wants to know their own true personality. But do you think its possible to self-analyze your own personality by taking tests like the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator? There were sometimes good and bad traits about myself I didnt notice until someone told me. I realized thingDo you think people can be categorized into personality types? Anyways, I find it fun to compare people's personality to each other and myself. And generally, people naturally cluster around people who are similar to themselves. Thoughts on this?

personality tests seem to do a fairly consistent job of testing what is on the test...same with intelligence tests...however, i think people are much more complex than what can be answered with 100 questions.

i honestly dont think that anyone has their own true personality that they carved from their own ideas and emotions. its all based on bits and peices of "cliche" i guess, that we pick up from everyone around us. Were all hiding our true personalities because we dont want other people to dissaprove of us. Well shure bits and peices might shine through, like our hand gestures and our way of using vocabulary. A newborn will have their own personality for a month or so untill the brain is furtherly developed i guess. Well, maybe im just fucking crazy.

i dont believe in online tests though i am very interested in the psychology of how people interact with eachother. online tests are just tick boxes though.

Anyone can do that!

I'd like to know how much personality influences ones choice to listen to metal. The media says only angry young losers listen to metal; and death metal, well, only satan worshipping suicidal crazies listen to that.

Perhaps a certain personality type is drawn towards metal, but I bet 1000s of people blow that theory apart by being calm, diplomatic, educated, clean-living adults and still enjoying some heavy metal!

Final_Product said:
Perhaps a certain personality type is drawn towards metal, but I bet 1000s of people blow that theory apart by being calm, diplomatic, educated, clean-living adults and still enjoying some heavy metal!

Lies, all lies. We are all devil worshipping, fascist, thrash metal warriors around here right?

I facilitated a case study about ten years ago that examined changes in subjects' affect as a product of listening to Heavy Metal and Punk music.

ANOVA results confirmed that those subjects who regularly listened to such music demonstrated a positive increase in affect when subjected to such music, while those who did not prefer such music demonstrated negative increases in affect when presented with the same music.

:eek:
I think it is possible to turn the eye within and discover the true you... As far as tests go, they can scratch some surface things from my PoV but there is no test that can 100% line item someone into a category. There are too many subtlties to the person that cannot be accounted for.

By my looks people don't think I listen to anything other than Pop or techno. Pull those headphones off my head and they get a suprise. Nothing like letting a preacher get a listen to death metal just after he has ran a script of worshiping his god.

Irony there... I usually entertain the topic of faith with whomever starts a convo, never really telling them my belief structure... I guess im an asshole like that :p Lure them in for the eventual questions to crumble their speech. :p

Well we are losers to them because we choose not to live to the same stadards as them, but what they can't understand is why we would want to go against the grain. They can't grasp the notion of being a rebel and not being what we are told to be by others, or what is expected of us from others.

ARC150 said:
I facilitated a case study about ten years ago that examined changes in subjects' affect as a product of listening to Heavy Metal and Punk music.

ANOVA results confirmed that those subjects who regularly listened to such music demonstrated a positive increase in affect when subjected to such music, while those who did not prefer such music demonstrated negative increases in affect when presented with the same music.

Is this serious? What is it meant to prove? What is a positive increase in affect and isn't this to be expected when a group regularly listens to that style?

hibernal_dream said:
Is this serious? What is it meant to prove? What is a positive increase in affect and isn't this to be expected when a group regularly listens to that style?

This was a reproduction of a study (I apologize for a lack of links to this information...at the time, the internet database was fledgling, and I am too lazy to run a deep-web crawler just to find the archived articles) done in the wake of the now-classic court cases involving suicides that brought into question Judas Priest and Ozzy Osbourne songs. The general arguments cited the aforementioned artists' music as the main factor that drove the deceased into a depression that resulted in suicide.

The studies question the idea that depressing music can result in such a drastic decrease in positive affect, or increase in negative affect (if you don't know what these terms mean, just look them up) that they could drive someone to hate their life, or hate themselves enough to kill themselves.

The results conclude that "depressing" music can, by virtue of cathartic measures, be helpful - not harmful.

It would be not that hard to explain why some people are fans of metal music from psychological view. As fas as personality tests go, they can be interesting, but if you really want to understand yourself, you have to be part of the ongoing process that is 24 hours of day. Combination of learning about how mechanism works, and in the same time becoming more self aware. Just one day spent in usual situations, but self aware, analysing what happens, and the way you feel and react will give you hundred times more than any set of psychological tests.

Dushan S said:
It would be not that hard to explain why some people are fans of metal music from psychological view. As fas as personality tests go, they can be interesting, but if you really want to understand yourself, you have to be part of the ongoing process that is 24 hours of day. Combination of learning about how mechanism works, and in the same time becoming more self aware. Just one day spent in usual situations, but self aware, analysing what happens, and the way you feel and react will give you hundred times more than any set of psychological tests.
I have to disagree.

Self evaluation, although a requisite part of the analytical process, is neither conclusive nor reliable.

Expecting a person to correctly evaluate themselves is like relying on a diagnostic program to correctly evaluate whether it itself is running properly. A malfunctioning system can incorrectly evaluate said system and return a conclusion of working properly.

Psych testing of anything relies on its operational definitions.

All A are B
All B are C
---
All A are C

This is always true, but if the definition of A, B or C is inaccurate, then the conlcusions are also inaccurate - to this extent, "personality tests" can be flawed...but your idea of "one day spent in usual situations, but self aware, analysing what happens, and the way you feel and react" is not only subject to misconstrued defines, but also to a mishappen method of evaluation.

Trend analysis is done for a reason: When in the middle of a trend, evaluation of that trend is impossible. Reliance on your own, whimsical interpretations of particular occurances is too subject to too many faulty conclusions to provide usable information.

Well, to an extent making yourself more aware of your normal situations and thinking about them in greater detail than normal might give your some interesting thoughts about your own personality. Obviously they are subject to the faults listed above, but if one lets their guard down and is truly honest with themselves, i still think a person can understand their personality a bit more by just thinking more about the everyday situations they find themselves in.